£70 for a drinks package....for a 6 month old????

amurray88

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have never had an issue getting soft drinks and mixers onboard. Alcohol is a bit hit and miss, they don't seem to be as strict as they used to be. 

Our wee issue is this is the first time we've done a package deal with P&O, flights, transfers etc. so will need to find somewhere near the port in Tenerife to buy a few soft drinks 😂

28 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Our wee issue is this is the first time we've done a package deal with P&O, flights, transfers etc. so will need to find somewhere near the port in Tenerife to buy a few soft drinks 😂

Plenty of shops just outside the port. Very walkable.

@amurray88 If you take a look at the FAQs on the P&O page under their drinks package section, it does state "Each adult assigned to the same cabin must purchase the same drinks package. Sharing is not permitted."

So no you don't have to buy a drinks package for your child just because you are having one. The rule applies to adults only. 

Edited by CarlaMarie

19 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

@amurray88 If you take a look at the FAQs on the P&O page under their drinks package section, it does state "Each adult assigned to the same cabin must purchase the same drinks package. Sharing is not permitted."

So no you don't have to buy a drinks package for your child just because you are having one. The rule applies to adults only. 

Hi Carla, this is only partly true. P&O force children to take the soft drink package when an adult takes a package. They give you this for free if you take one of the premium or alcohol packages but charge £10 per night for children if the adults buy the non-alcoholic package which I can understand. My point is that a 6 month old should not be forced to buy a soft drink package surely.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Hi Carla, this is only partly true. P&O force children to take the soft drink package when an adult takes a package. They give you this for free if you take one of the premium or alcohol packages but charge £10 per night for children if the adults buy the non-alcoholic package which I can understand. My point is that a 6 month old should not be forced to buy a soft drink package surely.

Yes I understand that. If the adults in the cabin have the Classic or Deluxe package then the child gets a refresh package for free. 

However, as you want the non-alcoholic package, and I think you said you don't need the refresh package for your 6 month old, then you don't need to buy one and P&O are not forcing you to buy one. Hope that makes sense. 

You only need to buy a refresh package for your child if you particularly want that package for them and are not yourselves (adults in the cabin) having either the classic or deluxe package.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Yes I understand that. If the adults in the cabin have the Classic or Deluxe package then the child gets a refresh package for free. 

However, as you want the non-alcoholic package, and I think you said you don't need the refresh package for your 6 month old, then you don't need to buy one and P&O are not forcing you to buy one. Hope that makes sense. 

You only need to buy a refresh package for your child if you particularly want that package for them and are not yourselves (adults in the cabin) having either the classic or deluxe package.

Unfortunately the P&O website disagrees and doesn't give you the option not to buy it....👎

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Screenshot_2023-10-01-18-55-32-000-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

The total for 2 alcohol free packages would be £314.30. 

Yes sorry my mistake! When you go through to the actual basket does anything get deducted? It is baffling, but unfortunately P&Os website and set up is renowned for its glitches and peculiarities!! 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 11:53 PM, amurray88 said:

I know you can only bring onboard 1l of alcohol at the start of the cruise and none during it but what's their stance on bringing on soft drinks? Before/during? Thank you!

At the start of the cruise it's litre of alcohol per adult.  Soft drinks are unlimited

The website automatically charges everyone in the room when buying a drinks package on the website in advance. If the adults are buying the two top packages, the children's package are discounted.

If you want to only buy a package for the first two guests in a cabin, then you need to do it onboard on days 1 or 2.

No one is forced to buy the package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, molecrochip said:

The website automatically charges everyone in the room when buying a drinks package on the website in advance. If the adults are buying the two top packages, the children's package are discounted.

If you want to only buy a package for the first two guests in a cabin, then you need to do it onboard on days 1 or 2.

No one is forced to buy the package.

The only problem with that is that they won’t then be able to take advantage of the 10% pre booking discount, which on a soft drinks package for two people over the duration of a 14 night cruise would roughly equate to the same additional ‘cost’ that the OP is objecting about!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The only problem with that is that they won’t then be able to take advantage of the 10% pre booking discount, which on a soft drinks package for two people over the duration of a 14 night cruise would roughly equate to the same additional ‘cost’ that the OP is objecting about!

I wonder if they would be able to cancel the refresh package once onboard and get a refund? Then they will be able to keep their 10% pre booking discount on their non alcoholic packages they have bought. 

I know they shouldn't have to, the system should recognise only the adults in the cabin when buying a drinks package with the option to add a childs one on at an additional cost if they are not eligible for a free one.