POA - Hawaii LIVE Sep 30, 2023

carohs

10:45 am another quick stop. This time at the arboretum. DDs favorite is of course the rainbow eucalyptus. DS likes ferns (they're the ones with the fractals). Saw papaya and golden bamboo. I was fascinated by the vines going up and up. 20231001_231424-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.4f0108a92b8a59ee6f10bed1f7aa16fd.jpg

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot to mention we got rained on at the arboretum, only a drizzle but it felt great since it had already started to feel quite warm out. 

11:25 we paused at Ke'anae Park where we caught some cool waves breaking. Not sure of the weather change helped with the size of waves or if it's always like this. 20231001_112418.thumb.jpg.91514d06916618a183064137cb49ccdd.jpg

We also got a quick pic of taro fields. 

20231001_112123.jpg

20231001_112844.jpg

• Like 2

There's over 50 one lane bridges. You have to stop and watch for oncoming cars. Lots of tight turns too where you better know and be comfortable hugging the side of the road. DH handled it as well as a local. Most of those bridges also provide an opportunity to see creeks and waterfalls.

More drive by Pic20231001_233144-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.0996cd8619122945fe5009bdf289fd3b.jpg

3 bears falls gets it own recognition 

20231001_114303.jpg

• Like 2

We stopped at Nahiku about 12:15. Got a macnut latte and banana bread for a snack. This would end up being the only thing we ate til we got back on the ship. I'm not gonna cover ship food after all. It's very hit and miss with mostly misses and the hits only being somewhat good but not great. The banana bread was tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I debated reservation times for Waianapanapa State Park, (I had to Google that y'all) also known as black sand beach. I ended up choosing 12:30 which was perfect since we made it there about 12:40. We also skipped twin falls and another thing or two so 3pm works too if you're wanting a longer day. Then I do a mild freak out when I realized due to no cell service I couldn't pull up my email reservation. On a hope and vague memory I checked my PDFs and sure enough I had taken the time to download the entry voucher. I was proud of myself. Phew 😅

A word of warning, they don't provide hand soap in any of the bathrooms. If anyone has the 411 on why that is please chime in. We also saw what DH said looked like a squirrel but definitely not a squirrel. It was quick and to the distance so no pic. We learned later that's a mongoose. They were brought to the island to control rat population when cane farming was prevalent. The mongoose failed at their goal and have instead become disease carrying pests. Ohh yikes!

• Like 1

We spent an hour, hour and half?, at the beach. DD had been informed we'd be heading here and did the usual "are we there yet?" along the way. Both kids thought the black sand was super cool. They tell you that swimming is not recommendeded and as you approach you can easily see why. First of all the sand is more like tiny pebbles which makes it hecka slippery to walk on. The beach is also very steep, and the waves quite fast. Yeah I could easily imagine getting swept up in the current. Immediately to the right of the beach is a tunnel that even the kids had to crouch to enter. But if you are agile enough it leads to a pretty cool sea cave. 

Here's me

20231001_131221.jpg

• Like 4

There's also a trail from the beach up to see a geyser. This trail is not for the unsure footed. Lots of rocks, roots and odd shaped steps. Watching the blow hole was fun. We found a couple rocks to sit on while we just relaxed. 

20231001_133643.jpg

20231001_133753.jpg

• Like 3

15 min later DH said let's get a family selfie with the geyser in the background. I'm sure you can guess where this is headed. Fifteen min of watching small wave eruptions and the one time we turn our backs.....yup. Huge spray made it up and over our heads. I squealed so loud you probably thought I was getting attacked by a bear, unless you were the family just coming up in which case you witnessed the whole thing. Like the lady who took the commemorative drenched family picture said, you couldn't have timed that had you tried. I was done for after that but oh my gosh what a great family vacation story. DH managed to snap a picture too of the geyser behind us; the only bummer being in the commotion he managed to leave himself out of the frame. 

Edited by carohs
  • Like 2

We continued on the road until getting to the seven sacred pools, but I told DH I was too tired for an hour long hike. We did a u-ie and didn't stop again til we parked the car for the evening. Oh wait. We did stop. We wouldn't have but we were forced to due to a large tree blocking the entirety of the road. Thankfully the truck and workers were already enroute and the delay was very short-lived. 20231001_162432.thumb.jpg.db4650c10bdac4d0869755b800128fdc.jpg

This is why we did this today and not tomorrow. It's already a full day; didn't want a potential delay and boom you miss all aboard. Shortly after this DD and DS fell asleep on the drive. 

The drive back was just as scenic and wonderous, too. We decided to download the GuideAlong app to help us make our way through. The drive back the guy gives you some Hawaiian history to keep you interested. Both this app and Shaka are highly recommended. Choosing one was a coin flip; I don't think you can go wrong either way. 

On the drive back the ocean is on the passenger side. Got lots more scenic pictures and even managed to spot another rainbow. It's faint but it's there. 

20231001_164637.jpg

20231001_161446.jpg

• Like 1

For those wondering about parking: we didn't park at the mall. DH didn't figure it was worth the risk. He looked up Uber/Lyft from the airport and was quoted $58. We parked at the Seaside Hotel for $25. 

Cleaned up, headed to dinner. DD was practically starving poor child. The highlight was a fruit salad. It had pear, kiwi, and a fruit I didn't recognize but maybe papaya. I'll let y'all educate me if you know what it is. Very tart (DD said sour she didn't like it); very sweet. 20231001_183317.thumb.jpg.b87062e5acae4563152b01cd2d080efa.jpg

Then we crashed. We crashed so hard even the kids who got a nap in on the drive back. I tried to update before but it became a lost cause when cruise critic was refusing to load. IDK if it was poor cell service or something else. Seems to be working quite fine now. Good night. No idea what tomorrow will bring. 

• Like 6

We took a leisurely morning and ate breakfast in the dining room. I ordered a cappuccino and it was delicious. Beware, they're served in teeny coffee cups. You may want to order a couple up front. One suited me just fine. Breakfast was really good too. A few unexpected items: bagel, shakshuka, and hot chocolate. Shakshuka just because I'd never tried it. The lox was shaped as a rose and bagel came with lettuce. Hot chocolate, DD got a whole teapot. 

20231002_072921.jpg

20231002_071929.jpg

20231002_071134.jpg

• Like 2

We had zero plans today. This works out just fine beause my legs can use a reprieve. We drove to McGregor light house,  but rather we ended up driving past it because we missed the entrance way. We took some scenic pictures at a nearby overlook and ended up at Palo Beach. I saw a couple other beaches nearer on the map. Kihei smelled like poop so we kept driving. Wailea we attempted to turn into but could see no beach access road, just resorts. So now we're at the beach having a low key day.

• Like 1

Our low key day at the beach ended with shaved ice. So yummy and another island must do checked off. 20231002_113547.thumb.jpg.3574e3f3ffc7913a5e4133bd007aed0f.jpg

We headed to the airport and got a Uber to the port. Driver was offering to drop us off at the service entrance, idk. She was nice but peeyew her car reeked cigarettes. She went to the port entrance and while we were getting out of the car the security approached us said we can't drop off there. I was like, but we're already out?! He's threatened to call port police and then did!! We were made to get back in the car oh man. Eventually we made it across the street to Longs and just crossed back. I really expected an Uber driver to know where she could drop off. 

Guess what DD wanted to do after spending a day on the water? Get in the pool that's what. 

DS asked today, "how do you keep someone in suspense?"

• Like 3

Since we haven't had a lot of activity I'll note a couple items of note.

The midship elevators run on two separate call systems. Most people will press both call buttons to call the first of 4 elevators resulting in a second elevator getting called where no one is getting in. Makes for an inefficient call system especially for the busiest bank of elevators on the ship. 

DH heard a conversation between a staff member and another passenger. The staff person was explaining that all dsc, additional tips, even cash tips, are pooled; approx 60% makes it directly to crew. Of the other 40% that supposedly supports incentive programs a small amount (she said not nearly the 40%) is distributed as bonuses. She also indicated that she is allowed to keep directed tips, as in you verbally have to clearly state this is for you, given the night before disembarkation day. With so much mixed messaging on DSC, take of that what you will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2