How will the US government shutdown affect international travel?

lackcreativity

We have flown internationally maybe ten times, so by some standards we are practically newbies. Up to this point, we have never been impacted by a government shutdown. I keep seeing reports that travel will be disrupted, with little details. Does anyone have advice based on their experience from prior events?  We are departing October 12 ( Baltimore to Heathrow to Venice) and returning October 27 (Istanbul to Heathrow to Baltimore). For what it is worth, we have five hour layovers in each direction.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

We have flown internationally maybe ten times, so by some standards we are practically newbies. Up to this point, we have never been impacted by a government shutdown. I keep seeing reports that travel will be disrupted, with little details. Does anyone have advice based on their experience from prior events?  We are departing October 12 ( Baltimore to Heathrow to Venice) and returning October 27 (Istanbul to Heathrow to Baltimore). For what it is worth, we have five hour layovers in each direction.

We are traveling internationally on Oct 2. Hoping for the best. Major issue in the past were sick outs for TSA who will not be paid but will receive back pay - but the sick outs did not occur until a few weeks into the shutdowns. Also, TSA and ATC workers declined overtime so there could be some delays. I assume the workers will also be grumpy as I would be if I was working and not getting paid.  Good luck with your trip!

• Thanks 1