HAL Cruise Protection Program pricing and purchase timing

kwb101

Hello.

We have a couple of voyages booked for the next two years, and, for the first time, will buy trip insurance. We will likely go with HAL's Cruise Protection Program because it includes pre-existing medical conditions at the time of purchase, and because (if I read the materials right) it can be bought any time before the final payment date.

However, there's one thing I don't see: whether the cost changes (presumably upward) the closer the purchase is before the final payment date.

Can anyone cast some light on this? I apologize if this has been covered here, but I couldn't find anything using the keyword search, rather than a proper search engine.

Thanks!

The cost is based on the cost of the trip, not timing.  Also be aware if any portion of your trip, including deposit, is non-refundable you cannot buy this insurance after you make that deposit.

.  Your flights will need to be insured separately or be refundable fares.   

• Thanks 1

I have used Princess protection and the price only increased a small amt once I add flights thru Flight ease.  From my research and discussion with Princess and Hal it does cover flights if booked through them. Also, you may want to ck the medical coverage.  It’s not very much and a lot of health ins don’t cover out of country medical care.  I used this because I liked the idea of not having to pay until final payment but I did pick up additional medical coverage thru Geoblu.  

Edited by abbiep
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The cost is based on the cost of the trip, not timing.  Also be aware if any portion of your trip, including deposit, is non-refundable you cannot buy this insurance after you make that deposit.

Thanks Mary, for the useful info. Fortunately, we booked both trips with Have It All, so our deposits are refundable.

18 minutes ago, abbiep said:

I have used Princess protection and the price only increased a small amt once I add flights thru Flight ease.  From my research and discussion with Princess and Hal it does cover flights if booked through them. Also, you may want to ck the medical coverage.  It’s not very much and a lot of health ins don’t cover out of country medical care.  I used this because I liked the idea of not having to pay until final payment but I did pick up additional medical coverage thru Geoblu.  

Thank you, abbiep. One of our trips is late next year, and the other is mid-'25, so we have a fair amount of leeway. We expect to have our air booked well before the final payment dates. However, because we're departing the first trip from San Diego, and live in Sacramento, it's entirely possible that Flight Ease will not have the best flight for us (Southwest offers non-stops from Sacramento, but I think they only book through their own site).

Thanks also for the info on medical. HAL's coverage is adequate (our medical seems to be available in one form or another) in the places we'll be going). I have to investigate this more.

Being able to delay payment until much closer to departure was what made HAL a better choice for us. I had a neurological condition last year that resulted in being in a wheelchair for several months, but, thanks to the miracle of modern medicine, I'm now walking, climbing stairs, and being a menace on the highway. Still, recent progress has been slow, so not having to buy a policy now (coverage from our Big Box TA has to be bought within 21 days of trip deposit) lets us see how things are going without having to commit early.

• Like 2

From the contract: “The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans (CPP or CPPP) are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue.”

Normally this is 90 days from the start of the cruise if you have a refundable deposit.  Do check the contract to make sure. One of our longer cruises started cancellation fees at 120 days from the start of the cruise. 

jdg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JohnDG said:

From the contract: “The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Plans (CPP or CPPP) are optional and are available for purchase prior to the date on which cancellation fees begin to accrue.”

Normally this is 90 days from the start of the cruise if you have a refundable deposit.  Do check the contract to make sure. One of our longer cruises started cancellation fees at 120 days from the start of the cruise.

Thanks, saw that clause, but wanted to make sure it was accurate. I can get to the View Plan Details page, but get an error message (404) when trying to see the Cancellation Policy, and the link to the state-specific terms, conditions, and exclusions at http://www.affinitytravelcert.com/docs/nwehal01 is unresponsive. Woe is I.

Also, wanted to make sure the cost doesn't increase as the final payment date approaches.

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I am pretty sure this is not correct, both flights as long as they are flex fares and hotel purchased through Holland America are covered through Holland America CPP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From View Plan Details link on the Cruise Protection Plan link on the booking's page:

If you purchased Holland America Line's Flight Ease Plan and/or our pre-/post-packages, you'll get 80% of your air and package cancellation fees refunded when canceling up to 24 hours prior to the start of your scheduled travel (90% with CPP Platinum when canceling right up to the start of your scheduled travel).

Looks like you take a little hit on the refund, but it beats losing it all.

Edited by kwb101
  • Like 1

The other good thing about HAL's CPP is that it is not age based, if you go to an outside coverage it is based on age and while you may get medical coverage while traveling that is a bit higher you will pay a LOT more and it will not be cancel for any reason. On the higher priced cruises and someone over the age of 65 the prices can be darn right crazy high. So much depends on what is important to you and what you need to have covered. If you already have serious health issues then one that covers medical may be more important but most likely they will not be cancel for any reason, as long as you would cancel for medical then it is worth paying extra. You really need to ask yourself what you think you may need to use.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am pretty sure this is not correct, both flights as long as they are flex fares and hotel purchased through Holland America are covered through Holland America CPP.

If they are not through HAL you need to cover them.  If they are not bought through HAL at time of insurance purchase they are not covered.   They need to be included at time the insurance is purchased. 

6 hours ago, kwb101 said:

Thanks, saw that clause, but wanted to make sure it was accurate. I can get to the View Plan Details page, but get an error message (404) when trying to see the Cancellation Policy, and the link to the state-specific terms, conditions, and exclusions at http://www.affinitytravelcert.com/docs/nwehal01 is unresponsive. Woe is I.

Also, wanted to make sure the cost doesn't increase as the final payment date approaches.

If your deposit is non refundable that is therefore an immediate cancellation penalty and HAL insurance is not then available. I have had this arise and you know what it was $1 non refundable deposit too!

yes, HAL insurance is not age based and the reason is it is not a truly adequate medical plan for many people 

Edited by Mary229

Thanks to all for all your information and experience: you've answered my questions and touched on some things I hadn't considered (like more complete medical). Fortunately for the latter, I think our medical plan also works out of the country to some degree, but I have to read through our evidence of coverage to make sure.

One last question: has anyone been able to download the full policy info through the HAL site? I get sent to another site, but, after I select my state, nothing happens. Thanks! [Note: it turns out I had some scripts turned off for the site to which HAL posts the link, and all is now well.]

Edited by kwb101
Corrected information
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If your deposit is non refundable that is therefore an immediate cancellation penalty and HAL insurance is not then available. I have had this arise and you know what it was $1 non refundable deposit too!

yes, HAL insurance is not age based and the reason is it is not a truly adequate medical plan for many people 

I currently have a HAL cruise booked with a non refundable deposit.   When I went to my booking it allowed me to purchase the protection plans.   Why would they allow me to purchase it if my non refundable deposit disqualifies me?  Or is it just a glitch on their website