Are Antarctica Expedition Cruises in Jeopardy This Year?

CDNPolar

Here is an article that I just saw for the first time today.  Bird Flu may restrict cruisers from landing on the Antarctic Continent this coming cruise season.

If the stats and predictions here are true, you may not lose your Antarctica cruise all together, but you may not be able to put your feet on the Continent, and be restricted to Zodiac cruising and Kayaking.  Here are two links to articles in case one or the other link does not work.

https://apple.news/AJ-QWYJueTgaoRVfcn8SdDQ

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/are-antarctic-cruises-in-jeopardy/ar-AA1htErZ

Having been down there (in 2008) I’d still go, unless you’re really confident life wouldn’t stop you again in a year or two…  It’s an amazing place, and zodiac cruising was the best.  Yes I landed in the continent, but I never ever mention that, I never even think of it. It was the landscapes and wildlife which was amazing, often better from the zodiac than land.

However, if I were on a Falklands/South Georgia cruise, I would think twice, as those wildlife beaches are just incredible on land.  

p.s. if they think it’ll help reduce bird flu, I think it’s important to restrict tourism.  Some of our wildlife reserves along the NE of England have been devastated by bird flu 😞 

Edited by Goosebear Mum
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Brad1185 said:

We’re booked for Jan 2, 2025. If we can’t go on land wonder if that would be enable us to cancel with Viking or get a steep discount?

I am sure that if this becomes a huge issue, that Viking will alter their dialogue about the cruise.  If you look closely at Antarctica Expedition cruises, they never guarantee any landings on the Continent because weather can cancel all landings.

Even though we landed each day and loved being on the Continent, I will agree with Goosebear Mum that Zodiac Cruising could be as satisfying if you cannot get onto the ground.

What was satisfying about being on the ground was the hikes up the hills and seeing the sea and ice from a high vantage point.

The only thing about that is that when Antarctica only allow 100 people per landing the average Zodiac only carries 12-14 people.  For a 45 minute Zodiac cruise you may only get one of these a day so that they can accommodate everyone.  If weather is not good then these will get cancelled too.

• Like 2

The potential for no or limited shore landings is why we chose Seabourn for our recent booking.  I think their ship holds less than 75% of Vikings.  Just thought if all tours were on zodiacs, it'd possibly be less crowded.  Same with kayaks.  I can't imagine the features onboard are significantly different between the two lines.  I know Seabourn has had some issues down south but we're hoping/assuming they've learned.  We really thought about a sub 150 passenger ship, but decided we wanted a bit more creature comforts.

Just something to consider.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

The only thing about that is that when Antarctica only allow 100 people per landing the average Zodiac only carries 12-14 people.  For a 45 minute Zodiac cruise you may only get one of these a day so that they can accommodate everyone.  If weather is not good then these will get cancelled too.

That’s true, I was on a much smaller vessel (Akademik Ioffe), so everyone who wanted to, always had at least 2 long zodiac or long landing trips a day, occasionally 3. Everyone could be off at the same time.  I’d certainly now go to Antarctica with Viking, if I could afford to, but I’d go knowing it was not ‘full expedition’ but ‘luxury expedition’, I’m possibly now of an age where I’d prefer the luxury side (!) and fewer hours a day off the ship 😉 

• Like 2

I know there are no guarantees on landings but if the rule was no landings whatsoever that would be a big bummer.  Our final payment date is at the end of May and are trying to decide when to get the insurance. Get it now or wait until the end of May. Our deposit is $25 each. Right now we have no pre-existing conditions but of something comes up we don’t want any limitation on coverage. 

21 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

I know there are no guarantees on landings but if the rule was no landings whatsoever that would be a big bummer.  Our final payment date is at the end of May and are trying to decide when to get the insurance. Get it now or wait until the end of May. Our deposit is $25 each. Right now we have no pre-existing conditions but of something comes up we don’t want any limitation on coverage. 

Keep in mind that, with most travel insurance, cancel-for-any-reason insurance has to be purchased within 2 weeks of making the initial payment on a cruise.

• Like 1

I think I will full pay the ins I have 20 days from Sept 27th. Just don’t want any problem with us or family and a pre existing condition. Someone was saying just get insurance for the deposit amount now then when final payment bump up the coverage. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 2:42 PM, Brad1185 said:

You can initially insure your trip with a minimum insurance coverage of $250 per person. This will give you the preexisting coverage. Once final payment is made you call and up the amount for full coverage on the trip.
Call Steve at the https://tripinsurancestore.com, he is the one who gave me this tip. It gives you the coverage you need plus saves from having to pay the full insurance premium until you are 100% sure you’re taking the trip.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

You can initially insure your trip with a minimum insurance coverage of $250 per person. This will give you the preexisting coverage. Once final payment is made you call and up the amount for full coverage on the trip.
Call Steve at the https://tripinsurancestore.com, he is the one who gave me this tip. It gives you the coverage you need plus saves from having to pay the full insurance premium until you are 100% sure you’re taking the trip.

Thanks so much that is exactly what I am looking for. 

3 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

Thanks so much that is exactly what I am looking for. 

I see that you are from Kailua. We are headed there on Saturday for a week and staying at the Waikoloa Hilton (not my ideal but my dad booked this trip).

Do you have any recommendations for places to eat that are mid range in price or off the tourist radar? Or any general recommendations?

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

I see that you are from Kailua. We are headed there on Saturday for a week and staying at the Waikoloa Hilton (not my ideal but my dad booked this trip).

Do you have any recommendations for places to eat that are mid range in price or off the tourist radar? Or any general recommendations?

Hi. We are in Kailua on Oahu not the Big island. So it has been awhile since we have been to the   Big island. Im sure you will have a great time. If you’re going to Oahu I have plenty of recommendations. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

I think I will full pay the ins I have 20 days from Sept 27th. Just don’t want any problem with us or family and a pre existing condition. Someone was saying just get insurance for the deposit amount now then when final payment bump up the coverage. 

Yes, split the insurance (or whatever the term is), that is what our TA did for us on the last cruise, it can save a lot of money on costs for longer cruises, especially with a room upgrade, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, rmalbers said:

Yes, split the insurance (or whatever the term is), that is what our TA did for us on the last cruise, it can save a lot of money on costs for longer cruises, especially with a room upgrade, etc. 

going to give it a try. We usually don’t cancel cruises but with the cost of the Antarctica cruise the insurance is not in expensive would love to pay the bulk of the insurance at the end of May when final payment is due.  Thanks for the tip. 

The whole point of doing an expedition  cruise is that weather or seas permitting you get to go on land and up close w the wildlife.  That is why we paid the big bucks for on expedition Antarctica cruise although our ship although completely acceptable was not fancy.  I felt that a comfortable cabin and good but not fancy food was all that I needed for Antarctica.  A drive by zodiak cruise is better than a drive by big ship cruise but it is still a drive by cruise.  I would cancel.  Of course I do accept that the health of the wildlife on Antarctica is more important than "walking with penguins".

DON

• Like 4