Nikon Z50, Canon m6

mskaufman

I currently have a Canon D60 and am thinking about a lighter mirrorless option. I usually use a Tamron 18 - 400 lens. Any thoughts on these two cameras as to whether I would be gaining capability, or these might be a step down.

8 hours ago, mskaufman said:

I currently have a Canon D60 and am thinking about a lighter mirrorless option. I usually use a Tamron 18 - 400 lens. Any thoughts on these two cameras as to whether I would be gaining capability, or these might be a step down.

I have no experience with either camera, but I know that Canon's EF-M system is being phased out in favour of RF mount, so one potential risk with Canon M6 is that if you want native lenses for that camera there may not be many options.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 4:46 PM, mskaufman said:

Now leaning towards a Nikon Z5.  Any thoughts?

I recently upgraded to mirrorless, opting for the R6 over the M6. However, if I recall correctly from my research, the M6 does accept the EF and EF-s lenses, with an adaptor. The R6 also accepts the EF lenses with an adapter. The downside of the M6 is that it doesn't accept any of the newer RF lenses being developed for the "R" series.

With the M6 you can still use your existing Canon lenses, but changing to Nikon will require an additional investment in lenses.

I'll suggest EF lenses, both new and used will be available for a number of years.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I recently upgraded to mirrorless, opting for the R6 over the M6. However, if I recall correctly from my research, the M6 does accept the EF and EF-s lenses, with an adaptor. The R6 also accepts the EF lenses with an adapter. The downside of the M6 is that it doesn't accept any of the newer RF lenses being developed for the "R" series.

With the M6 you can still use your existing Canon lenses, but changing to Nikon will require an additional investment in lenses.

I'll suggest EF lenses, both new and used will be available for a number of years.

Actually, there are Canon EF lens adapters also for Nikon Z, obviously not from neither Canon nor Nikon, but from third party manufacturers. I don't have any experience with these adapters, but if one wants to explore that option such adapters exist. And of course, the newer native lenses may offer some advantages over the older designs.

7 hours ago, Hezu said:

Actually, there are Canon EF lens adapters also for Nikon Z, obviously not from neither Canon nor Nikon, but from third party manufacturers. I don't have any experience with these adapters, but if one wants to explore that option such adapters exist. And of course, the newer native lenses may offer some advantages over the older designs.

I was aware of 3rd party adapters, but from what I read some time ago that while the adapter can attach the lens to a Nikon body, there is no guarantee that all lens functions will work.