Sharing internet with a travel router

Grimix

7 hours ago, rbarr65 said:

Hmm. Don't see where I mentioned NCL, but if it works just as you described, then that is great.  Thank you.

Comment is due to the fact that this is the Norwegian board.

However, that was an assumption.

I do believe that the information discussed here is solely based on usage aboard NCL.

Other cruise lines may function differently and/or specifically prohibit the use of a router.

Under the specific language in NCL's T & C's, the router use "sneaks in" because they don't specifically rule them out; they allow only one device at a time to your connection. The router is that device, even though it can provide for multiple other devices to piggy back onto it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 4:01 PM, cpqq said:

He's still using one device, so yup - paying for every cent he's using.

It just happens that device can rebroadcast another SSID. 

I do the same and GL iNet routers are the best for this. 

I just got the Beryl AX myself. I'm not going to bring a laptop with me, just my phone. Is it just as simple as?

1) Connect to router

2) Clone MAC address of my phone onto the router

3) Choose Repeater

4) Select the NCL wifi network

5) Fill in captive portal

Every time I go back to my cabin (where I'm just going to leave the router), I just repeat steps 4 and 5 if someone else in my family has used the internet and disconnected the router? Thanks

18 minutes ago, MisterX88 said:

I just got the Beryl AX myself. I'm not going to bring a laptop with me, just my phone. Is it just as simple as?

1) Connect to router

3) Choose Repeater

Every time I go back to my cabin (where I'm just going to leave the router), I just repeat steps 4 and 5 if someone else in my family has used the internet and disconnected the router? Thanks

It's actually easier.

1) Connect to router (yours)

2) Choose Repeater, and choose the network you want to clone. On my models (GL-Inet) you'll get to choose granular access points by MAC address and SSID, not just the SSID. This way you won't be trying to reach out to an access point way down the hall, rather a closer one. 

4) Select NCL Wifi network

5) Connect off your cloned SSID (eg: My Beryl AX) 

6) Go to something like AOL.com to get the captive portal, via your mini router device's MAC address

7) Once logged in you can connect multiple devices. It's up to you how you use your internet. Just log off once you're done sharing, and then re-connect when you need. 

If you get an unlimited package like I do, I roam around the ship with it connected to my phone, logout when back at room, and connect my setup so my fiance can share.

Enjoy!

19 hours ago, MisterX88 said:

1) Connect to router

3) Choose Repeater

So you need to connect a power bank to power the beryl?

Any repeaters that have a built in battery?

17 hours ago, cpqq said:

It's actually easier.

1) Connect to router (yours)

2) Choose Repeater, and choose the network you want to clone. On my models (GL-Inet) you'll get to choose granular access points by MAC address and SSID, not just the SSID. This way you won't be trying to reach out to an access point way down the hall, rather a closer one. 

4) Select NCL Wifi network

5) Connect off your cloned SSID (eg: My Beryl AX) 

6) Go to something like AOL.com to get the captive portal, via your mini router device's MAC address

7) Once logged in you can connect multiple devices. It's up to you how you use your internet. Just log off once you're done sharing, and then re-connect when you need. 

If you get an unlimited package like I do, I roam around the ship with it connected to my phone, logout when back at room, and connect my setup so my fiance can share.

Enjoy!

Thanks! Just tried it at work on the captive portal we have and it worked fine. Hopefully, it should be same once onboard.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

So you need to connect a power bank to power the beryl?

Any repeaters that have a built in battery?

Yes, either power bank or plugged into outlet. It’d be great if one had a built in battery.

27 minutes ago, MisterX88 said:

Thanks! Just tried it at work on the captive portal we have and it worked fine. Hopefully, it should be same once onboard.

It'll work great. I use it later at night before sleep to stream Chromecast, etc. to the TV while cruising. 

Edited by cpqq

2 hours ago, MisterX88 said:

Yes, either power bank or plugged into outlet. It’d be great if one had a built in battery.

Just checked the price of the Beryl AX.

$80 on sale??

yike!

just looking for a cheap repeater for multiple logins