Open Air Taxis

jenny368

We have a group of 20-24 people that need to get from the cruise ship pier (I am assuming that we are docking at Havensight) to Red Hook. Does anyone know how much these taxis charge per person? The captain of the boat we are chartering said that some of these taxis are large enough to hold our whole group. Anyone know about this? Thanks!

We went on one of them two weeks ago. You get on by the Blockbuster store which is just a few minutes (5) walk from the pier. (ask a local - not a taxi cab driver - where the Blockbuster store is)

It costs $2.00 per person to RedHook one way. It is a beautiful scenic trip.

They can fit at least 25 people comfortably. It took about 1/2 hour to get there because we stopped at a shopping mall. Maybe if your people fill it and the drriver knows that no one needs to get off at the mall, you can pass by that stop.

It was NO problem taking these buses there to Red Hook or back. Very easy.

Most of the taxis in St Thomas are open-air, so it's hard to tell which is the $2 safari, and which is a regular taxi. Some drivers operate as both depending on what ships are in town. The $2 safari doesn't stop at the pier - you'll have to walk approx 1/4 mile to get to a stop.

Not all of the $2 safaris will hold that many, and if they do, they'd have to be empty when they get to the stop (taxis at the pier are empty) - that's rare at the stop closest to the dock since it's made several stops before getting there. You could split the group, but it could take more than 2 before everyone gets on.

The safaris won't stop to pick up someone if they're full, but I don't know if they'd be willing to take a group non-stop anywhere. That's what regular taxis are for.

Thanks for the responses so far. We have an elderly couple with us. I think it would be hard from them to walk 1/4 mile to catch the cheap taxis. Does anyone know how much the taxis right at the pier are per person to Red Hook?

Im not certain about this, but Im thinking I read that it was about $10 per person, one way. But dont quote me, maybe someone else who knows for sure can tell you.

I didnt read this whole page but maybe you can find what you are looking for here: http://*****/stthomas/getting_around_stt/taxi_stt/

Now that I look closer, Red Hook to Paradise Point (which is right across the street from Havensight) is $11pp for 2 or more people.

If you are going to St. John via Red Hook, you can get a ferry right in downtown Charlotte Amailie. We once went to Red hook and got the ferry to St. John. We then took the ferry back to Charlotte Amailie & got back on the ship vs. going back to Red Hook and then cab back to ship.

The ferry schedule leaving for St John is more reliable from Red Hook, and leaves more frequently. The trip is also about 25 minutes longer. You have to pay $4 per person each way for the taxi into town, plus the fare to St John is more from town. Somewhere on the Internet (probably http://www.*****) there's a ferry schedule with exact rates (make sure the schedule says fare from Red Hook is $5 - I think that's a recent increase.)

Check both to see which works best for you.

Archived