Euros Question

brer111

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I have encountered cities in the US where taxis are required to take credit cards, but suddenly find that their credit card processing machine is either broken or can’t find a wireless signal once we reach the destination. 

Yeah, this is still pretty common worldwide.  I still run into it occasionally especially in smaller villages and mom and pop stores.  Thus, I always try to insure I have enough cash for the day; however, more and more businesses just don't want to deal with cash.  

As for taxis last year in Brussels my train got back really late, and it was snowing, so without thinking I just got in a taxi.  As we neared the apartment, I realized I didn't have quite enough euros, but didn't worry as I know Brussel's taxis are required to take cards.  Oh, my word, the driver called me everything but a red-headed stepchild (sorry to the red-heads out there) and said we would need to go to an ATM to get euros.  At this point, I simply refused.  Guess what?  After several minutes he finally pulled out the credit card machine from under the front seat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I’m home and something happens to the internet or banking systems I don’t worry too much because I have resources. When travelling if all debit goes down or the biggest internet provider has issues I don’t have that safety net. So even though I don’t carry cash at home I always carry cash when I travel. Yes I know it doesn’t happen often but they do happen around the world occasionally and the more I travel the higher the chances of it happening one day while abroad. 

For me, personally, the right number is about 100 Euros in small bills.  Enough for tips and maybe a taxi from the airport.  If I were to run out, I'd hit a nearby ATM.  Cards are accepted most places and usually what I'll use.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I have encountered cities in the US where taxis are required to take credit cards, but suddenly find that their credit card processing machine is either broken or can’t find a wireless signal once we reach the destination. 

I think this is a universal problem, it’s the same in Ireland but a lot of the drivers are on the freenow (used to be hailo) or Uber apps which means you can summon one on those apps and pay that way without cash. Uber drivers in Ireland are registered taxi drivers because that’s the way our laws work. 

Zero. I never change currency in the US. It's almost always better to wait an use an ATM once you arrive. Every international airport I've been to in Europe has an ATM and it's marked on the maps. By far the cheapest and often easiest way to get euros is from an ATM in country. You probably need less than you think but if you need more, Rome's a big city and there are banks with ATMs out front everywhere.

Italy is still a very cash based society. 

It's not unheard of for the credit card machine to be 'broken' when you go to pay.  

I would plan to have all the cash on hand you're looking to spend in Italy. You never know what you will encounter. 

I think Greece is better, but still would prepare to deal in cash over card. 

On 10/4/2023 at 2:52 PM, ExArkie said:

Also worth noting - apparently, no taxis in Athens take credit cards. If you plan to take a cab somewhere, it’ll have to be paid in euros.

Not accurate.  We took a taxi from the airport to Plaka using credit card.  You have to tell the Taxi Porter and they will hail one.  Our hotel, Hotel Plaka, ordered one to take us to the cruise port, snd again to go from hotel to airport.  The only time we had to pay Euros was from cruise port yo hotel in Plaka post cruise.

12 hours ago, jules181 said:

Italy is still a very cash based society. 

It's not unheard of for the credit card machine to be 'broken' when you go to pay.  

I would plan to have all the cash on hand you're looking to spend in Italy. You never know what you will encounter. 

I think Greece is better, but still would prepare to deal in cash over card. 

just returned from a cruise  and was really impressed with the the ease of using credit in Greece (card, phones, watches were being used commonly)

It was a 12 night cruise and we brought 100 Euro (2 -  50 notes) and came back with just over 40 Euro. Generally just made sure to use and break the bills to have the right coinage for toilets .. uugh...