NCL free at sea PLUS

jenniebug

Has anyone purchased the Free at Sea PLUS option?  Is this something that is still available for purchase? How do we purchase it? Thoughts? I saw this while trying to get some answers to the Premium Plus option.

We are booked for December and received the normal "free at sea" option and wanted to upgrade to Premium Plus option - the NCL rep told me that the cost to UPGRADE to the Premium Plus is $1900 EACH (lol)!  I tried to explain that I believe it is only $39 each per day to upgrade from the regular free at sea and she adamantly told me that that was not possible, and you don't upgrade - you pay the full amount (yeah, not paying almost $4000 to get better drinks, lol). I went into my account and it does say $1900 - I believe this may be because we didn't originally pick the beverage package, but have since paid for it.

Any assistance would be appreciated!  We would prefer to get the Free at Sea PLUS because it seems a better cost option than purchasing stuff individually.  We are in a suite (Haven-less ship 😞 ) - is this something our concierge can do for us?

she was incorrect.  now that you've actually selected the FAS drink package, you should have no problems upgrading.  And you can do it online or via the phone app.  $39, plus gratuities, is the cost to upgrade just the drink package.  If you want to upgrade to Free at Sea plus, it costs more.

Are you looking for the Premium Plus beverage package? Or Free at Sea Plus?

P+ beverage package includes a wider selection of drinks. 

FAS+ includes the P+ beverage package, additional specialty dining, unlimited internet, and an additional $50 per excursion credit for the second passenger on the reservation. 

This is another one of those "it depends on you" questions. But again, some people want predictability of cost and are less concerned with best value. If all of your drinks will be above the $15 limit maybe it a good idea. Maybe not! By the way a shot of Bailey's is above the limit! Don't get me started....

Only you can say if its worth it to you. To upgrade to FAS Plus you need to value the higher drink price limit, the added specialty dinning, the unlimited wifi and the shore excursion credit.

We are booked on a B2B2B cruise this fall on the Star. A 9 day, 10 day and 11 day.  Very port intensive. We are Sapphire, so for each cruise we get 2 specialty dinners as perks plus the additional 1 with our FAS (we are in an inside cabin), We also get some free wifi beyond the FAS accommodation. I pay $100 a month for an international plan on my phone when we travel. So my phone works in port. No need for more wifi. Three specialty dinners is enough on each cruise. We rarely book NCL tours so the $50 credit I already get I probably won't use. I will grudgingly pay the additional cost of the Bailey's for my wife's night cap. 

For us the upgrade doesn't hold any value. But, it may for you. What do you value? The answer to your questions lies in the answer to that question...

8 hours ago, jenniebug said:

Has anyone purchased the Free at Sea PLUS option?  Is this something that is still available for purchase? How do we purchase it? Thoughts? I saw this while trying to get some answers to the Premium Plus option.

We are booked for December and received the normal "free at sea" option and wanted to upgrade to Premium Plus option - the NCL rep told me that the cost to UPGRADE to the Premium Plus is $1900 EACH (lol)!  I tried to explain that I believe it is only $39 each per day to upgrade from the regular free at sea and she adamantly told me that that was not possible, and you don't upgrade - you pay the full amount (yeah, not paying almost $4000 to get better drinks, lol). I went into my account and it does say $1900 - I believe this may be because we didn't originally pick the beverage package, but have since paid for it.

Any assistance would be appreciated!  We would prefer to get the Free at Sea PLUS because it seems a better cost option than purchasing stuff individually.  We are in a suite (Haven-less ship 😞 ) - is this something our concierge can do for us?

Yes, there are a few of us that often take free at sea plus. It is certainly still available and is offered on all my booked cruises.

I would say that your issue comes from how you got your existing packages, which isn’t clear from your post. You say you added the beverage package. I assume by this you mean that you added the free at sea beverage package rather than paying full price? Did you just take the beverage package or did you also get the dining etc. In order to be able to upgrade to free at sea plus I would think that you will have needed to have all of the original parts of free at sea in order to upgrade them.

Are you seeing the upgrade offers for the individual elements? If everything is in place correctly you should see upgrade offers for the beverage package, dining package and internet separately as well as free at sea plus.

Basically, there seems to be a specific issue with your booking that is going to be hard for us here to do any more than speculate on, based on the information you have. It sounds like either you don’t have all of the items that are required for free at sea plus to be offered, or that the system doesn’t think that you do. I think you are going to need to call again and hope that the next person is more helpful.

Thank you for all the suggestions and guidance! In my NCL app I was able to see the premium plus option as an offer - but not on my laptop. It was also SIGNIFICANTLY less than $1900 each, lol.  We ended up getting the premium plus bundle instead just the drink upgrade.

For us it sems a better option. We are not big drinkers but my husband likes his whiskey and was extremely disappointed with the offerings in the regular package. In addition, I love my lattes and drink a lot of bottled water. Plus..we have a teenager so we were going to get him the wifi package and with the bundle it is included. Not a huge fan of MDR so the additional two speciality dinners will be nice, and maybe overkill! 

Now..this is another conundrum.  I had the soda package for our son in my cart on my laptop. When i finally got the premium plus package option in my app I added it to my cart and it automatically added the three of us. But  only charged for two as our son is underage. It clearly has all three names listed. Does this mean our son gets the perks of the package?

9 minutes ago, jenniebug said:

Thank you for all the suggestions and guidance! In my NCL app I was able to see the premium plus option as an offer - but not on my laptop. It was also SIGNIFICANTLY less than $1900 each, lol.  We ended up getting the premium plus bundle instead just the drink upgrade.

For us it sems a better option. We are not big drinkers but my husband likes his whiskey and was extremely disappointed with the offerings in the regular package. In addition, I love my lattes and drink a lot of bottled water. Plus..we have a teenager so we were going to get him the wifi package and with the bundle it is included. Not a huge fan of MDR so the additional two speciality dinners will be nice, and maybe overkill! 

Now..this is another conundrum.  I had the soda package for our son in my cart on my laptop. When i finally got the premium plus package option in my app I added it to my cart and it automatically added the three of us. But  only charged for two as our son is underage. It clearly has all three names listed. Does this mean our son gets the perks of the package?

no, your son won't get anything.  The app adds everyone with the assumption that it's three adults, but at check-out it checks the ages.  Since your son us under 21, it only charge for two of you.  

• 3 months later...
On 10/5/2023 at 10:47 PM, jenniebug said:

I do believe your son especially if you are responsible for his purchases will be able to get soda without a charge. I may be mistaken but I don't remember ever getting charged for my kids' soda. However, I don't know how many bars she visited when I wasn't around. Check your account after he buys a soft drink and see what happens, then proceed accordingly.