Goodbye to P&O

Ocean Mouse

I like to mix things up. I've sailed P&O, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and I have 2 Virgin Voyages booked as well.

For me its about what the holiday is for. If we want a cruise where we know service, food, drinks and entertainment are going to be consistently great, we book Celebrity. After sailing on the Beyond twice this year, I'm nervous to go back to anything else. My parents sailed on the Silhouette out of Southampton last month and found it completely different. So I guess it depends on where the ship is and at what time of year (we did Beyond out of Miami B2B and Rome in school hols). 

I have literally just booked Britannia in the Caribbean for next year. For the price, you simply can not get another cruise to the Caribbean that covers as many ports. If you go into Miami, a b2b never goes far enough. A 10 night out of Miami only has 4 ports. P&O have the itinerary spot on. I'm not the biggest fan of P&O food so we may have to throw in a few trips to the Beach House and Glass House.

I was meant to be on a Virgin cruise in January out of Miami, but it was cancelled due to their newest ship not being ready in time, so mine had been reallocated to cover those sailings. Disappointing, but I was able to get a full refund OR rebook any cruise they had on sale as long as it was the same room category. So I've booked a lovely week to the Greek Islands instead. I also got an extra $600 OBC for the inconvenience! Now that's customer service!

I'm super excited to try Virgin, but I'm also excited for my 2 weeks in the Caribbean on Britannia. I can't think of 2 cruise lines that are more chalk and cheese in every single way 😄 

14 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I like to mix things up. I've sailed P&O, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, and I have 2 Virgin Voyages booked as well.

For me its about what the holiday is for. If we want a cruise where we know service, food, drinks and entertainment are going to be consistently great, we book Celebrity. After sailing on the Beyond twice this year, I'm nervous to go back to anything else. My parents sailed on the Silhouette out of Southampton last month and found it completely different. So I guess it depends on where the ship is and at what time of year (we did Beyond out of Miami B2B and Rome in school hols). 

I have literally just booked Britannia in the Caribbean for next year. For the price, you simply can not get another cruise to the Caribbean that covers as many ports. If you go into Miami, a b2b never goes far enough. A 10 night out of Miami only has 4 ports. P&O have the itinerary spot on. I'm not the biggest fan of P&O food so we may have to throw in a few trips to the Beach House and Glass House.

I was meant to be on a Virgin cruise in January out of Miami, but it was cancelled due to their newest ship not being ready in time, so mine had been reallocated to cover those sailings. Disappointing, but I was able to get a full refund OR rebook any cruise they had on sale as long as it was the same room category. So I've booked a lovely week to the Greek Islands instead. I also got an extra $600 OBC for the inconvenience! Now that's customer service!

I'm super excited to try Virgin, but I'm also excited for my 2 weeks in the Caribbean on Britannia. I can't think of 2 cruise lines that are more chalk and cheese in every single way 😄 

I literally could've written all this myself! Just done two Beyond cruises with TA on Britannia sandwiched between and Ventura Xmas short break. You do pay for what you get on Celebrity but I won't moan when back on P&O as I know what I am getting. I spend a lot of my cruise in Glasshouse, Beach House, Sindhu etc. You definitely need to lower expectations after Beyond as it is simply the finest cruise ship I've ever sailed on to date. 

Agree on itineraries I'd only consider Caribbean on P&O as you visit so many lovely islands. Top post Glitterati.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

I literally could've written all this myself! Just done two Beyond cruises with TA on Britannia sandwiched between and Ventura Xmas short break. You do pay for what you get on Celebrity but I won't moan when back on P&O as I know what I am getting. I spend a lot of my cruise in Glasshouse, Beach House, Sindhu etc. You definitely need to lower expectations after Beyond as it is simply the finest cruise ship I've ever sailed on to date. 

Agree on itineraries I'd only consider Caribbean on P&O as you visit so many lovely islands. Top post Glitterati.

Beyond really is Beyond anything else! I’d done a few solstice class before this year, but the Beyond is another level! 

I love the fillet steak in the Glass house and Beach house. Great value as well. The speciality restaurants on Celebrity have got so pricey. But they are outstanding.

P&O do the Caribbean very well. In February we were on Beyond and were in port with Britannia. We stood on the magic carpet and were doing the YMCA along with the Britannia as we sailed past😂

Im looking forward to my two Virgin cruises next year. They swept all the cruise critic awards and I’ve only heard positive things (negatives coming from “traditional” cruisers). 

It’s all about expectations. Cruise lines have cut corners across the board. Im looking forward to two weeks in the Caribbean! And it’s so easy with the flight into Barbados. 

17 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

Beyond really is Beyond anything else! I’d done a few solstice class before this year, but the Beyond is another level! 

I love the fillet steak in the Glass house and Beach house. Great value as well. The speciality restaurants on Celebrity have got so pricey. But they are outstanding.

P&O do the Caribbean very well. In February we were on Beyond and were in port with Britannia. We stood on the magic carpet and were doing the YMCA along with the Britannia as we sailed past😂

Im looking forward to my two Virgin cruises next year. They swept all the cruise critic awards and I’ve only heard positive things (negatives coming from “traditional” cruisers). 

It’s all about expectations. Cruise lines have cut corners across the board. Im looking forward to two weeks in the Caribbean! And it’s so easy with the flight into Barbados. 

Virgin will probably be next company I try and like you I heard many good things. They are not the cheapest but I don't mind paying more for a good product. The only thing they put Mr off initially was the awful programme thst followed their cruisen on TV! Put us right off. 

We are really Celebrity cruisers having gained Elite plus status way back but we did a transatlantic on Arvia last March and really enjoyed it. We knew we were not going to get the same food/service as Celebity so were not disappointed in any way. We flew TUI in PE and it was as good as BA easily. Getting off in Barbados and right into the bus to the ship, no passport control or immigration to navigate. Beats queuing at MIA for 3 hours (yes, really). 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 5:53 PM, molecrochip said:

Probably the best, most accurate, comment I’ve read on here this year!

Cruiselines targetting new cruisers ahead of customer loyalty makes sense in many ways

There's never been a better time to attract people away from land based holidays to cruises for the first time.

Meanwhile existing cruisers will still find ships that meet their needs. They don't need to be enticed to cruise with targeted marketing. They just need to find the lines and ships within those lines that still meet their needs

To attract new cruisers In big numbers the cruiselines did need to make cruise holidays appear more fresh and exciting and enticing as well as offering great value. They are competing with land based holidays that offer huge choices and activities.

IMO there's still something for everyone out there. 

9 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Cruiselines targetting new cruisers ahead of customer loyalty makes sense in many ways

There's never been a better time to attract people away from land based holidays to cruises for the first time.

Meanwhile existing cruisers will still find ships that meet their needs. They don't need to be enticed to cruise with targeted marketing. They just need to find the lines and ships within those lines that still meet their needs

To attract new cruisers In big numbers the cruiselines did need to make cruise holidays appear more fresh and exciting and enticing as well as offering great value. They are competing with land based holidays that offer huge choices and activities.

IMO there's still something for everyone out there. 

We mix our holiday types around. We just got back from a week  at an AI hotel in Menorca. Food was quite good, entertainment quite good and it was about half the price if a cruise.  One drawback was that you went onto the balcony in the morning, the hotel was in the same location.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We mix our holiday types around. We just got back from a week  at an AI hotel in Menorca. Food was quite good, entertainment quite good and it was about half the price if a cruise.  One drawback was that you went onto the balcony in the morning, the hotel was in the same location.

Half the price of an inside saver cruise?

Or half the price of a balcony cruise zap?

If it's the first one I would be amazed in the current market place?

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Half the price of an inside saver cruise?

Or half the price of a balcony cruise zap?

If it's the first one I would be amazed in the current market place?

Balcony. That's all we book. With land based holidays we rarely book earlier than about 4 weeks before we go. Cruises a little earlier.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Balcony. That's all we book. With land based holidays we rarely book earlier than about 4 weeks before we go. Cruises a little earlier.

In fairness, P&O certainly weren't our first choice but getting my wife, my son and I for £1,100 including flights and luggage in January to Canaries seemed like a no brainer. I think I'd be lucky to get flights, luggage, transfers and full board at a reasonable hotel for anything like this money? 

When you say you got the AI for half the price...I'm presuming you're not talking ~£550 and instead your cruise budget is a good bit more than ours? Luggage alone seems so expensive now when flying and with a wee 3 month old unfortunately I can't go just hand luggage anymore.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

In fairness, P&O certainly weren't our first choice but getting my wife, my son and I for £1,100 including flights and luggage in January to Canaries seemed like a no brainer. I think I'd be lucky to get flights, luggage, transfers and full board at a reasonable hotel for anything like this money? 

When you say you got the AI for half the price...I'm presuming you're not talking ~£550 and instead your cruise budget is a good bit more than ours? Luggage alone seems so expensive now when flying and with a wee 3 month old unfortunately I can't go just hand luggage anymore.

Our last fly cruise was to the Canaries on Azura. About £2,500 in a balcony with £300 OBC. Our Menorca week was £1150. Both deluxe balconies. We had a Travel agent special from Malta on Azura for £1500 in  a balcony, but they don't crop up too often. We have never had an inside, no window room in a hotel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Our last fly cruise was to the Canaries on Azura. About £2,500 in a balcony with £300 OBC. Our Menorca week was £1150. Both deluxe balconies. We had a Travel agent special from Malta on Azura for £1500 in  a balcony, but they don't crop up too often. We have never had an inside, no window room in a hotel.

That's a great price for Menorca!

51 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

So true on luggage costs

28 minutes ago, zap99 said:

TUI had a fair selection at that kind of price. Late September/Early October always seems to be priced keenly. Weather this year was great.

Used to love our family holidays in Menorca

Used to base ourselves in S'algar in a lovely apartment overlooking the sea. Hire a car and drive the island

Hiring cars now is also incredibly expensive compared to the past

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Used to love our family holidays in Menorca

Used to base ourselves in S'algar in a lovely apartment overlooking the sea. Hire a car and drive the island

Hiring cars now is also incredibly expensive compared to the past

Yep, it was Lanzarote for us and we were able to hire a car for 70euro for 10 days. A return suitcase can now be £100pp. I'd have always just taken hand luggage but babies change that and now getting flights included with P&O was very attractive.

Interestingly the government has an ongoing enquiry into airline add ons at present.  This includes seat reservations and luggage costs.  They believe the airlines have to offer transparency on pricing.  Will be interesting to see the result.

Re TUI holidays.  If you search their destinations you will normally find the offer of a TUI flight does include 20kgs of luggage as standard.  The use of Easyjet flights is apparently because TUI currently have insufficient aircraft while awaiting their new plane deliveries.  Reading the travel press both here and in Germany they are awaiting around 50% of the planes they have on order and they are well over 18 months late.

Eventually they should be able to supply their own aircraft, it is not intended to continue with the other airlines apart from those where BA are offered and these too include luggage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Interestingly the government has an ongoing enquiry into airline add ons at present.  This includes seat reservations and luggage costs.  They believe the airlines have to offer transparency on pricing.  Will be interesting to see the result.

Re TUI holidays.  If you search their destinations you will normally find the offer of a TUI flight does include 20kgs of luggage as standard.  The use of Easyjet flights is apparently because TUI currently have insufficient aircraft while awaiting their new plane deliveries.  Reading the travel press both here and in Germany they are awaiting around 50% of the planes they have on order and they are well over 18 months late.

Eventually they should be able to supply their own aircraft, it is not intended to continue with the other airlines apart from those where BA are offered and these too include luggage.

It's just part of every day life now and I guess that if they are forced to include baggage then the flight cost will increase.

I just hate finding cheap flights and thinking oh great lets go...and then adding bags 😅.

• Like 1

Interesting reading. I sort of understand the going down hill with the larger ships. Their demographic now is families and young people that may not of considered cruising before. As regards cutbacks etc. Over on FB I am on a lot of of pages for other cruise lines, princess, celebrity etc. They are all sayoing the same thing ref cutbacks. I am guessing a lot of it will be down to the multi million £/$ loans they all had to take out. part of the deal for said loans was probably lower your base spending rate. They may all be getting bookings in, but not making profit, just servicing the above loans. 

• Like 4

MSC figures yesterday were good and they mention (as did RC) that bookings being very strong they will now raise prices.  Looking at the latest P&O release their fares too have risen.  The interesting thing will be will they hold their nerve or cut as time goes by as they have done last year and this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

MSC figures yesterday were good and they mention (as did RC) that bookings being very strong they will now raise prices.  Looking at the latest P&O release their fares too have risen.  The interesting thing will be will they hold their nerve or cut as time goes by as they have done last year and this.

I have only compared prices on the Iona 35 night jan 2026 Caribbbean cruise, and that is significantly lower than the 2025 cruise, so not all prices are rising.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:34 PM, FangedRose said:

Seems to me that apart from cabin number mix up (which should not happen, and I would be upset about) it seems that the majority of problems were caused by USA port officials. You can't blame P&O for that! Very common on all non American cruise ships calling at USA ports.

No it wasn't just the cabin number and whilst I appreciate that problems regarding immigration aren't the fault of the cruiseline, they could have done more to make it comfortable. I was suffering from a leg problem, some people older than myself had more acute problems and seating along the way was virtually non existent. Without doubt out of 8 trips across the pond the worst immigration process I have known. Not only that, the food was poor onboard, again the worst I have known in 17 cruises. There were long queues at reception virtually every day, with many passengers telling us they were keeping a record of their problems, backed up by the fact that when we contacted P&O post cruise the lady told my wife we were logged on the system along with many others. As I say the entertainment, tribute acts apart, were poor. Talks apart from a guy talking about photography for most of the cruise non existent. Bearing in mind we missed Bermuda on our way out, due to the Captain stating about four days before getting there that we would not be calling in due to the weather. No problem, when we were in the vicinity and personally I believe it was done because of the five and a half hour delay leaving Southampton. Yes we will complain when things aren't right, we are not purpetual moaners. In my opinion, because the Brits accept poorer service than the Americans do that's what we get. I can't think which port it was, but it was a very hot day where the lifeboats were used to ferry passengers into the port. At the same time a ship with German passengers docked. On their return, they had a place to shelter from the sun and various drinks. P&O passengers had to wait in the sun with a galss of water available. Maybe they paid more, I don't know. What I do know however is that P&O standards have dropped considerably since we started cruising in 2002.   

On 10/14/2023 at 10:48 PM, terrierjohn said:

I have only compared prices on the Iona 35 night jan 2026 Caribbbean cruise, and that is significantly lower than the 2025 cruise, so not all prices are rising.

It"s nowhere near the lower price I paid onboard Arvia for the Jan 25 Iona  35 night cruise.