LaGuardia Airport (LGA) Luggage Check In and Transportation

BGarrison

We will be back from our NCL Escape cruise to Bermuda on November 5, 2023 (Manhattan Cruise Terminal) and have a flight at 5:00 pm out of LGA.  I'm looking at UBER/Lyft or Carmel for transportation to LGA.  I've never flown in/out of LGA so I don't really know anything about the airport, but I don't want to be stuck there all day either.  Some airlines won't allow you to check your luggage until you are within 2 hours of your boarding time.  And most airports do not have many restaurants, stores, etc until you get through TSA Security.  What about LGA and American Airlines?  If we leave the pier around 10:00 and get to the airport around 11:30 (I don't know the amount of time it takes, but guessing 1-2 hours), will we be able to check our luggage in or have to wait until 3:00 pm?  

Also, any ideas for something to do (with luggage) for a few hours before heading to the airport?

4 hours ago, BGarrison said:

Some airlines won't allow you to check your luggage until you are within 2 hours of your boarding time.

Typically if there's a restriction it's no more than 4 hours before departure time, not 2 hours before boarding time. In this case you're flying out of LGA on AA, and American, like other airlines, typically list baggage time restrictions on their website. In this case, go to AA's website at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/check-in-and-arrival.jsp and you'll see that LGA is not among the airports where you can't check your bags prior to 4 hours before your scheduled departure.

I've never flown in/out of LGA so I don't really know anything about the airport,

You're in luck, LGA used to be a horror show, but Terminal B, where AA has its gates was fully renovated and is now a modern state of the art facility...one of the best in the USA

We will be back from our NCL Escape cruise to Bermuda on November 5, 2023

November 5 is the date of the NY City Marathon, which can  gum up traffic, but with a 5 pm flight you'll be fine.

I'm looking at UBER/Lyft or Carmel for transportation to LGA

Given that it's marathon day, I would book a car in advance with Carmel or Dial 7 so you can secure a reservation at a known price.. Under normal circumstances Uber would be fine but their prices may skyrocket due the complications and demand the marathon might generate.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Typically if there's a restriction it's no more than 4 hours before departure time, not 2 hours before boarding time. In this case you're flying out of LGA on AA, and American, like other airlines, typically list baggage time restrictions on their website. In this case, go to AA's website at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/check-in-and-arrival.jsp and you'll see that LGA is not among the airports where you can't check your bags prior to 4 hours before your scheduled departure.

You're in luck, LGA used to be a horror show, but Terminal B, where AA has its gates was fully renovated and is now a modern state of the art facility...one of the best in the USA

November 5 is the date of the NY City Marathon, which can  gum up traffic, but with a 5 pm flight you'll be fine.

Given that it's marathon day, I would book a car in advance with Carmel or Dial 7 so you can secure a reservation at a known price.. Under normal circumstances Uber would be fine but their prices may skyrocket due the complications and demand the marathon might generate.

Thank you so much for the info!

Terminal B is a new expiernece. You exit TSA into the gift shop just like Disney. Seriously you go up from TSA and walk thru a huge Cibo overgrown newsstand. From there you pass into a food court with a fountain that dances to music and displays projected on the water. 
There are two walkways over the taxiways to the Gates passing different sit-down restaurants and then at the gates there are more food outlets,coffee shops and newsstands or course all over priced. 

Should have taken the money for the fountain and spent it on gate design. Gates are close to each other and lines to board cross each other. Arriving passengers trying to pass thru those lines it is a mess. Seating at gates, get there early as there isn't enough.