"Terrorist attack" or "War"?

GeezerCouple

Ordinarily, I'd consider what just happened in Israel (horrific!!) as a terrorist attack, but then it became "We are at war".

With at least some insurance, "terrorist" events are covered, but "war" is not.

Does the so-called "simple" declaration immediately void any travel insurance claim coverage?

Needless to say, one's personal safety is far more important than dealing with any reimbursement issues.

Oceania's Nautica sailed early from Israel earlier today.  I hope everyone made it back on board (or is safe wherever they are)!

Are there other ships that were IN Israel today?

GC

Hi GeezerCouple,

Sorry about the delay responding. We have customers in Israel & many with now-cancelled trips so I've been extra busy.

Does the so-called "simple" declaration immediately void any travel insurance claim coverage?

I can't speak for all companies, but mine consider this Terrorism. Hamas committed Terrorism. It wasn’t until hours later that Israel declared War. Here's more info:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-terrorist-incident-coverages/

In addition, as of Oct 9, 2023 some of my companies won’t cover trips to Israel for new purchases.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our MSc cruise just cancelled our trip with stops in Aqaba, Sharm el Sheikh and Luxor. Departs Nov. 9. No Israel ports on the manifest.

This has impacted our Egypt trip. We insured to Nov 30 to cover our Nile Cruise and various independent hotels. We paid close to $1000 for the insurance based on our age.

I called Generali last night and was told that they consider the cruise cancellation as under the War definition. Therefore probably not covered but I could submit a claim if I wanted. (My claim is a deposit on a Nile Cruise, one non refundable hotel and a flight from Aswan to Cairo.)

My thinking is that my travel to Egypt is a transportation issue, that I can’t get to the tour arrangements in Egypt. Like a flight being cancelled.

Any opinions on this particular argument? 

Thank you,

Susan

• 5 weeks later...

Israel issue is not a "war". It is an insurrection or civil disobedience. War is considered between countries. Palestine is not a state as the two state solution has not been agreed to. Palestine is a "state" of Israel.  Palestinians/Gazans are elected to the Israeli legislature. 

IMHO appeal the decision of Generali.