Is there transportation on HMC?

angela715

We went to Half Moon Cay for the first time a few weeks ago and it was amazing! We are returing in a few months with some friends. It was a long walk from where we perched on the beach to where you get on the tender. Is there a shuttle that will take you on the island from the sidewalk behind the beach to the tender area? Some said that a tram would pick you up, but we waited and never saw one, so we walked back.

1 hour ago, angela715 said:

We went to Half Moon Cay for the first time a few weeks ago and it was amazing! We are returing in a few months with some friends. It was a long walk from where we perched on the beach to where you get on the tender. Is there a shuttle that will take you on the island from the sidewalk behind the beach to the tender area? Some said that a tram would pick you up, but we waited and never saw one, so we walked back.

There are trams that run throughout the day; you just flag one down. But that's kinda hard to do if you don't see one. 🤔 I have been to HMC several times and have never not seen a tram. strange...

The tram also goes out farther than the picnic pavilion area, out past the water sports center.  We caught an outbound ride on one from our cabana (#11) years ago and got to see a lot more of the island than we dreamed we would see.  It was pretty nifty.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

The tram also goes out farther than the picnic pavilion area, out past the water sports center.  We caught an outbound ride on one from our cabana (#11) years ago and got to see a lot more of the island than we dreamed we would see.  It was pretty nifty.  

Hi @Pellaz🙂

I meant to add to my reply above; There are certainly other Trams that do go further, but they are (Not Free) & are scenic-like tour trams. The only (Free Tram) is the one below on the map that only goes back & forth from the Food Pavillion to the Welcome Center. 

20231008-210338.jpg

💃🍹💃

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @Pellaz🙂

I meant to add to my reply above; There are certainly other Trams that do go further, but they are (Not Free) & are scenic-like tour trams. The only (Free Tram) is the one below on the map that only goes back & forth from the Food Pavillion to the Welcome Center. 

20231008-210338.jpg

💃🍹💃

If so, that must be a new thing.  I've never seen a paid-service tram at HMC.   

Just now, Pellaz said:

If so, that must be a new thing.  I've never seen a paid-service tram at HMC.   

I have, for many, many years. Love Half Moon Cay. The Trams that charge a fee say Calypso on them. I forget what the free trams say on them, but as the member said above, those trams just go back & forth from the Food Pavillion picnic area to the Welcome Center.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

I have, for many, many years. Love Half Moon Cay. The Trams that charge a fee say Calypso on them. I forget what the free trams say on them, but as the member said above, those trams just go back & forth from the Food Pavillion picnic area to the Welcome Center.

Sorry, I should have specified that I've never seen a paid-service "shuttle" tram, as opposed to an excursion tour. 

The trams that run, or used to run, along the service road behind the beach and the cabanas were free.  People like us, who rented cabanas and villas farther from the tender pier, were instructed to go to the tram station by the pier and we would be given a ride out to our cabanas, and as I mentioned, the trams ranged further out as well.  

It would be a shame if this free service has been discontinued.  

22 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Sorry, I should have specified that I've never seen a paid-service "shuttle" tram, as opposed to an excursion tour. 

The trams that run, or used to run, along the service road behind the beach and the cabanas were free.  People like us, who rented cabanas and villas farther from the tender pier, were instructed to go to the tram station by the pier and we would be given a ride out to our cabanas, and as I mentioned, the trams ranged further out as well.  

It would be a shame if this free service has been discontinued.  

It has not been discontinued as of Feb this year. While the map may show the tram runs a limited path, we have found if you ask, they'll take you anywhere you want to go. They may be more accommodating the less busy they are.

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

It has not been discontinued as of Feb this year. While the map may show the tram runs a limited path, we have found if you ask, they'll take you anywhere you want to go. They may be more accommodating the less busy they are.

That's good to hear.  We've been picked up more than once while "hitchhiking" back from our cabana (almost always #9, 10 or 11, past the buffet pavilion) toward the tender pier, but it's a question of catching a returning tram, and if they have room for more folks onboard.  

• Like 1