Coffee related excursions in Cartagena?

ciabelle

I convinced my DH (who'd otherwise prefer to stay home while I go off and explore) to join me on a Panama Canal cruise next year with a stop in Cartagena. As soon as I mentioned that we had a port of call in Columbia, his eyes lit up and said "Coffee!" 

I know the port is in the tropical lowlands rather than in the Andes, but he'd really love to experience the full process from picking the berries, to seeing the whole process (grading, drying, roasting, all the way to cupping and tasting) CCL offers an excursion with a cupping experience along with other sightseeing and shopping stops, "Coffee Baptism With a Touch of Gold" but that isn't really what he's after. I've found other similar 3rd party excursions that were perhaps a bit more coffee centric, but nothing that would fully scratch his itch. 

I don't know if such an experience is even feasible on an 8-hour port of call, but would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations whether guided or independent exploration by other coffee fiends. 

I looked up your itinerary to see if you have a port call to Puntarenas, Costa Rica, and I see that you do. That would really be the place to take the sort of coffee from start to finish tour that you are talking about. We took one several years ago; I’m not a coffee drinker and even I enjoyed seeing the entire process. 

• Like 1