Royal Caribbean gift certificates

Dan83

I’ve read enough about them on this forum to know that they are a hassle. I’d never buy one but my wife received a gift certificate from her coworkers. I submitted the online form to be redeemed as onboard credit on an upcoming cruise. There’s no email confirmation sent and after a week it doesn’t show up in the cruise planner. I’m thinking that it may show up onboard like a travel agents OBC would show up on the second day. I resubmitted the form after a week and it says already redeemed. So I know they’ve processed it. Anyone with recent experience on this? 

Side note: I submitted shareholders benefits form at the same time and OBC showed up in cruise planner about 3 days later. 

It's not showing up in your cruise planner because gift certificates redeemed for onboard credit cannot be used toward pre-cruise purchases. The certificate(s) are nonrefundable, so they're treated the same as when a TA gifts you OBC. It doesn't show up in your cruise planner, but the funds will be available to use once you're onboard.

Edited by footzz
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, Dan83 said:

I’ve read enough about them on this forum to know that they are a hassle. I’d never buy one but my wife received a gift certificate from her coworkers. I submitted the online form to be redeemed as onboard credit on an upcoming cruise. There’s no email confirmation sent and after a week it doesn’t show up in the cruise planner. I’m thinking that it may show up onboard like a travel agents OBC would show up on the second day. I resubmitted the form after a week and it says already redeemed. So I know they’ve processed it. Anyone with recent experience on this? 

Side note: I submitted shareholders benefits form at the same time and OBC showed up in cruise planner about 3 days later. 

Well, it looks like how the gift cards can be used has since changed.

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-updates-gift-card-policy/113609