Folding Electric Wheel Chair FAA approved

ILoveMyDogs

I use a "fold and go" electric wheelchair. I have had mine for about 6 years and am well pleased. My husband is 6 ft 4 in and about 275 lbs. He bought his in the last year and is also pleased. They are easy to fold and FAA approved. You do have to remove the batteries and take them with you into the plane. You can google them and go to their web site for additional information. They have good videos. The chairs are not cheap but meet our needs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ILoveMyDogs said:

With air travel can you gate  check it or does it get checked w luggage and then you use airport wheel chair? 

Definitely gate check your precious cargo.  The last thing you want to do is end up with no mobility device, or a broken one, at your destination.   If you have a layover on your flight, let the airline personnel know you want to pick it up at your connection stop.  Then ride it over to your connecting gate and again gate check it.   

• Like 2

I Also have the fold and go wheelchair and i mostly travel solo. depending on the airline some (mostly US based airlines )will let you keep the batteries installed and you just take the joystick controller. i only Gate check mine (i take wheelchair up to the jet bridge , the airline also brings it to the jet bridge after the trip)

• Like 1

I always gate check. United has decided to start requiring removal of the batteries. I've fought with them to no avail. I just carry a small bag with me to put them in the overhead compartment. Always take the joystick with you in the cabin to avoid damage.

One suggestion, make it very clear when the gate employees put the tags on the chair that you want the chair delivered to the gate, not the baggage claim. They will mark it as such. I ended up with $600 in travel credits when airline employees threw my chair on the truck that went to baggage claim instead of bringing it up the steps to the gate. If, for some reason, the chair isn't brought to the gate, don't allow airline employees to leave the gate until the issue is resolved and make sure to speak with a supervisor. I also have an AirTag in the storage pouch under the chair to help me track it.

• Like 1