First Timers in Tortola

macfam5

With your limited time in port it makes sense to go with the cruise line excursion. Going on your own can be a much more enjoyable experience, but only if you are in port for an extended time. It depends on the time schedule of the excursions (that should be posted), but with 10 hours in port, for example, you can use the aid of a VG taxi driver to hit other spots like Savannah Bay until the excursions are through and biggest crowd thins out at the Baths…

Going on your own I doubt you can beat the cruise line excursion folks, as you will be taking the same ferry or another close ferry due to the short port time. And you can’t wait them out with the same early return they have.

I should add that we’ve never been in that situation as we stay on Tortola and ferry over to VG when there are no ships in port. So see what feedback others have for you too…Just realize your self-excursion options are limited unless you hire a private charter and go directly to Devil’s Bay…

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...

hi blue water

just reading your reply to macfam5 post 

I'm in Tortola in January. My cruise line is offering an excursion to Virgin Gorda at £60 and one to Spring Bay at £75. Both are 4.5 hours .The Spring Bay one seems to imply that you can experience the boulders with none of the crowds. 

I'm a bit confused as to what the difference is ?  wondering if you could shed some light on this please ? thanks 

Hi seahorse001 - Spring Bay is near the Baths and so has a similar topography. The walk to the beach is flat, whereas the boulders of the Baths are accessed by a downhill path. My memory is that the Baths are a much more unique experience, but of course the vast majority of your fellow cruisers will be going there. 

How long are you in port?

• Like 1

As a follow-up, there are no public facilities at Spring Bay, just the Guavaberry Villas, so you’d want to bring water. Same if you go to the Baths, although there is a restaurant and restrooms at the Top of the Baths.

But as you can see on Google maps, you would have the driver drop you at the Guavaberry Villas and Spring Bay while others continue on to the Top of the Baths. It’s just a short walk down to the beach and boulders. 

You can then make the 850m walk from Spring Bay to Mad Dog restaurant for a bite and cold drinks, and the amazing views. If time allows stop in Spanishtown to shop, or if hungry stop at the Bath & Turtle (Chez Bamboo)…

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Spring+Bay,+British+Virgin+Islands/Mad+Dog+Bar+%26+Restaurant,+British+Virgin+Islands/@18.4499542,-64.435982,378m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x8c057925b0efc5a7:0x75176fec07a7e26e!2m2!1d-64.4459545!2d18.4321559!1m5!1m1!1s0x8c057920365a8e65:0xeb8e343731e6546c!2m2!1d-64.4419483!2d18.4293849!3e2?entry=ttu

2 hours ago, blue_water said:

As a follow-up, there are no public facilities at Spring Bay, just the Guavaberry Villas, so you’d want to bring water. Same if you go to the Baths, although there is a restaurant and restrooms at the Top of the Baths.

But as you can see on Google maps, you would have the driver drop you at the Guavaberry Villas and Spring Bay while others continue on to the Top of the Baths. It’s just a short walk down to the beach and boulders. 

You can then make the 850m walk from Spring Bay to Mad Dog restaurant for a bite and cold drinks, and the amazing views. If time allows stop in Spanishtown to shop, or if hungry stop at the Bath & Turtle (Chez Bamboo)…

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Spring+Bay,+British+Virgin+Islands/Mad+Dog+Bar+%26+Restaurant,+British+Virgin+Islands/@18.4499542,-64.435982,378m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x8c057925b0efc5a7:0x75176fec07a7e26e!2m2!1d-64.4459545!2d18.4321559!1m5!1m1!1s0x8c057920365a8e65:0xeb8e343731e6546c!2m2!1d-64.4419483!2d18.4293849!3e2?entry=ttu

hi, thanks for  the detailed reply. My ship is in port from early morning to early evening. As far as I can see from the shore excursion notes the excursion is by sea, so I will not have a driver ? It leaves at 8.30am for 4.5 hours so back to ship at 1pm. I think I will stick the with ship excursion for now as it will allow time to get back, have some lunch and explore more of BVI.

6 minutes ago, seahorse001 said:

hi, thanks for  the detailed reply. My ship is in port from early morning to early evening. As far as I can see from the shore excursion notes the excursion is by sea, so I will not have a driver ? It leaves at 8.30am for 4.5 hours so back to ship at 1pm. I think I will stick the with ship excursion for now as it will allow time to get back, have some lunch and explore more of BVI.

So you may be traveling to Virgin Gorda by a cat or power boat and mooring off shore. If so there should be a note in the excursion about taking a dinghy into shore, or swimming?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 8:49 PM, blue_water said:

Hi seahorse001 - Spring Bay is near the Baths and so has a similar topography. The walk to the beach is flat, whereas the boulders of the Baths are accessed by a downhill path. My memory is that the Baths are a much more unique experience, but of course the vast majority of your fellow cruisers will be going there. 

How long are you in port?

Hi Blue Water, I'm jumping in here to ask; how long do you feel we would need in port to explore the Baths on your own?  Our port time is 7AM to 4PM.  We've been to the Baths on a previous cruise but would like to try it on our own this time around.  Years ago, you helped us greatly with excellent information about getting to Saphire Beach, so I value your input.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, momscruising said:

Hi Blue Water, I'm jumping in here to ask; how long do you feel we would need in port to explore the Baths on your own?  Our port time is 7AM to 4PM.  We've been to the Baths on a previous cruise but would like to try it on our own this time around.  Years ago, you helped us greatly with excellent information about getting to Saphire Beach, so I value your input.  Thank you.

Hi momscruising, glad to hear from you again! 😄

7 - 4 gives you plenty of time to go n your own. I haven’t checked the ferry times lately but I’m sure the schedules will work for you. It may be difficult to avoid some of your fellow passengers but we would also go on our own. And you know “the ropes” a

ready!

We look for a driver there that can work with us, maybe dropping us at Savannah Bay and picking us up or whatever they recommend based on the cruise ship tour times.

So yes you have time, and a driver may make it a nicer day on VG if you want to try that…😄