Pixel 8 & Pixel 8 Pro camera review

pierces

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

pierces was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I'll try this again. My last post about the new Pixel 8 and Pixel 8 Pro just disappeared. I suspect iPhone people objected to their existence but that's just a theory. Anyway, I'm in the process of evaluating cameras on both of them. Will post samples and detailed impressions as soon as I get a chance. My first impression is very favorable. Fast with an improved interface and new camera modules that really feed into Google's competitional photography. Android 14 is pretty slick as well.

Dave

Here's some preliminary poking around and a little info from the research I did before ordering.

Selfie camera on both. - 10.5MP f/2.2 20mm equivalent.

Pixel 8 cameras - Main camera has a 50MP sensor with a f/1.68 25mm equivalent lens and optical and electronic stabilization. The ultra-wide angle camera has a 48MP sensor with a f/2.2 11mm equivalent lens. It uses a laser-based autofocus system.

PXL_20231011_182527457.thumb.jpg.0ad225de40e2ca12d528e3c2518267c1.jpg

Pixel 8 Pro cameras - Main camera is the same as the 8. The ultra-wide angle camera has a 12MP sensor with a f/1.95 11mm equivalent lens. The telephoto camera has a 48MP sensor with a f/2.8 112mm equivalent lens. The tele camera also has optical and electronic stabilization. The laser-based autofocus it multi-zone on the Pro

PXL_20231011_182346577.thumb.jpg.2b62c7bce95559a7dfea36cdd133dedd.jpg

Macro has been upgraded. It seems to have cut the minimum focus distance in half.

PXL_20231012_144612194.thumb.jpg.dd371d5286ca2c242959cd46edae4b43.jpg

Life has been busy lately, so testing will have to wait until the weekend, but I did get a chance to browse the updated camera app and I like what I see so far. The Pro mode in the app looks promising, offering a wide range of control over camera settings.

image.thumb.png.f944923cf8d5f2faf6b6ec4158eb3302.png

I'll post some photos this weekend. I'm pleased with the changes so far, but actual photos will tell the story.

Dave

Selfie camera on both. - 10.5MP f/2.2 20mm  equivalent.

Edited by pierces

• 2 weeks later...