Tips for arriving at Istanbul cruise terminal?

Any tips for arriving at this port? We sail on Oceania Sirena on October 24. We have chosen a later boarding time so we can explore Istanbul that morning after staying overnight in the historic area. We will take a taxi from our hotel. Any tips for arriving at the cruise terminal are appreciated. 

1 hour ago, KBrote said:

Any tips for arriving at this port? We sail on Oceania Sirena on October 24. We have chosen a later boarding time so we can explore Istanbul that morning after staying overnight in the historic area. We will take a taxi from our hotel. Any tips for arriving at the cruise terminal are appreciated. 

I walked through it earlier today, and saw a Viking 'feather' flag out for on-foot passengers here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/MjX8cQTWZsbP1rEQ8.  But if you are in a taxi, you should expect that they will take you into the underground area where you can access security and check-in.

Thank you. I am hoping we luck out with a knowledgable and experienced cab driver. I also wonder if Oceania does a good job with signage, etc. We will leave plenty of time in case of confusion. But I do appreciate hearing from people who have embarked from this new terminal. 

11 hours ago, KBrote said:

Thank you. I am hoping we luck out with a knowledgable and experienced cab driver. I also wonder if Oceania does a good job with signage, etc. We will leave plenty of time in case of confusion. But I do appreciate hearing from people who have embarked from this new terminal. 

It's run like an airport!!  Lots of animated videos here: https://www.galataport.com/en/cruise-port/cruise-port-operation

I can update later today if any different, but the videos show entry to the underground area for vehicles is via the ramp behind the Gallery Of Modern Art.  It's now been open long enough that I'd expect every taxi driver will know the location.

22 hours ago, KBrote said:

Our update having gone through this today... 

If the taxi drops you off underground, then great.  The entrance for them is next to the Modern Art Gallery. 

Ours ended up in gridlock as we passed the pedestrian entrance, on the other side of the road. He let us off, we crossed the road and tram tracks at the pedestrian crossing, and entered the building where it was two floors down to check in, security etc. 

Simple to get to, though a bit chaotic organisation once we arrived! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you. I watched a few videos of the terminal. It looked on the videos like the taxis entered an underground area and let you off inside. Is that different than what you experienced? Did the driver know where the Oceania ship terminal was or did you have to wander around looking for it? Thanks for the update.

14 hours ago, KBrote said:

Thank you. I watched a few videos of the terminal. It looked on the videos like the taxis entered an underground area and let you off inside. Is that different than what you experienced? Did the driver know where the Oceania ship terminal was or did you have to wander around looking for it? Thanks for the update.

There is only one terminal and one pedestrian entrance where I linked to on the previous post: https://maps.app.goo.gl/MjX8cQTWZsbP1rEQ8

I think our taxi knew about the vehicle entrance, but as we were arriving from the Black Sea direction, he would have had to go quite a bit further and then double back to get into it.  With the road gridlocked, it made much more sense for everyone to drop us off on the road opposite.  We crossed it and went down the gap between the buildings here (https://maps.app.goo.gl/AACepQng1tKd57ni9) then left into the terminal door.  There were signs outside, and once inside plenty of people to direct you.

You might want to keep in mind that "grid lock" is all too normal throughout much of the Istanbul area (including around the port).  Not much you can do if embarking/debarking and need to use a vehicle to handle both yourself and luggage.  Otherwise, as an independent type of traveler we will generally walk out of the port and either use the tram (they can move through the traffic jams) or sometimes just take the long walk over the bridge and to the downtown (Golden Horn) area.  

Hank

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 12:17 PM, Hlitner said:

Otherwise, as an independent type of traveler we will generally walk out of the port and either use the tram (they can move through the traffic jams) or sometimes just take the long walk over the bridge and to the downtown (Golden Horn) area.  

Hank

@Hlitner what is the procedure for buying a public transport card please after arrival at the cruise port ?

We are there on consecutive cruises.

I have Lira, and would prefer to use cash for the travel card if possible.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

@Hlitner what is the procedure for buying a public transport card please after arrival at the cruise port ?

We are there on consecutive cruises.

I have Lira, and would prefer to use cash for the travel card if possible.

Thanks.

Things have changed since our last visit, but it seems like you currently have two options.  You could purchase an Istanbul Card (Istanbulkart) for 70 Lira (about $2.50) and than load it with an amount that would be appropriate for your travel habits.  You would buy the so-called Anonymous Card which can  be purchased at thousands of ticket vending machines (I believe there are machines at the Tram stop outside the port).  A full fare on the train is 15 Lira or about 50 cents   I understand there is also an app (for those with working Smartphones) which can be used instead of the physical card.  For many that might be too complicated, but it has the advantage of not paying that 70 Lira price for the card..and you can tie the app to a credit card so you do not have to be concerned with loading money on the card.  When you get on a Tram or bus you simply hold your card over the reader.

Another option (which can be a good thing for independent travelers) is the Istanbul Travel Card (which covers transportation and other entrance fees).  You can read about this online and decide if it makes sense.  

The bottom line for a cruiser (going off on their own) is that a single round trip on the T1 from near the port into town would cost about $3.50 (the $2.50 card fee plus 30 Lira for the fares).  Additonal trips would only be about 50 cents.  Its a bit of a rip-off that you need to pay for the card, but we are not talking about serious money and the cards are convenient.

There is another option which might not be worth the hassle (we have never tried it).  There is an App for Smartphones which can downloaded onto your phone.  I think it works in conjunction with the card (which is how the system in Japan works) and there is talk of it even replacing the card (I assume you would scan your phone).  

You might want to go to this link and read more details:

The Guide to IstanbulKart: Price, Where to Buy & How to Use Istanbul Transport Card – ISTANBUL.TIPS

Hank

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Things have changed since our last visit, but it seems like you currently have two options.  You could purchase an Istanbul Card (Istanbulkart) for 70 Lira (about $2.50) and than load it with an amount that would be appropriate for your travel habits.  You would buy the so-called Anonymous Card which can  be purchased at thousands of ticket vending machines (I believe there are machines at the Tram stop outside the port).  A full fare on the train is 15 Lira or about 50 cents   I understand there is also an app (for those with working Smartphones) which can be used instead of the physical card.  For many that might be too complicated, but it has the advantage of not paying that 70 Lira price for the card..and you can tie the app to a credit card so you do not have to be concerned with loading money on the card.  When you get on a Tram or bus you simply hold your card over the reader.

The bottom line for a cruiser (going off on their own) is that a single round trip on the T1 from near the port into town would cost about $3.50 (the $2.50 card fee plus 30 Lira for the fares).  Additonal trips would only be about 50 cents.  Its a bit of a rip-off that you need to pay for the card, but we are not talking about serious money and the cards are convenient.

You might want to go to this link and read more details:

Thanks Hank.

Appreciated.

I have snipped your post in my reply, but yes I’ll plan on getting that recharge transport card. We are there for a number of days coming & going on the ship.