Shin-Kobe Station to Kyoto Station (return) information

WESTEAST

Our cruise will stop in Kobe port and we are researching taking a taxi from the cruise port to Shin-Kobe Station to board the bullet train (shinkansen) to the Kyoto Station. We will return the same day and appreciate any directions to navigate the Shin-Kobe Station and the Kyoto Station. From what we've read the bullet train takes approximately 30 minutes and with one stop in Shin-Osaka before reaching Kyoto.  Has anyone had experience taking this mode of transportation and would appreciate feedback on ease of purchasing tickets and frequency of trains to and fro.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Our cruise will stop in Kobe port and we are researching taking a taxi from the cruise port to Shin-Kobe Station to board the bullet train (shinkansen) to the Kyoto Station. We will return the same day and appreciate any directions to navigate the Shin-Kobe Station and the Kyoto Station. From what we've read the bullet train takes approximately 30 minutes and with one stop in Shin-Osaka before reaching Kyoto.  Has anyone had experience taking this mode of transportation and would appreciate feedback on ease of purchasing tickets and frequency of trains to and fro.  Thank you.

Shin-Kobe station is small, two  of our CC members went from Kobe to Hiroshima on Shinkansen on  Oct-2-23 during Kobe stop. I rode the Shinkansen from Kyoto back to Yokohama to embark the cruise.

https://www.kobestation.com/shin-kobe-station-orientation-facilities/

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 5:55 PM, WESTEAST said:

Has anyone had experience taking this mode of transportation and would appreciate feedback on ease of purchasing tickets and frequency of trains to and fro.  Thank you.

The shinkansen fare isn't cheap, from Shin-Kobe to Kyoto: non-reserve seat (car 1-3) 1,800 yen; reserve seat 2,800 yen. during peak hours, frequncy is every 10 - 15 min. 
Tickets are time specific, if you purchase in advance, you may change your ticket if your departure time has not passed. If you have IC card, just tap and go, otherwise purchase ticket through ticket counters or ticket machines which support four languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean. Most major station ticket counter had iPad for Google translation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

The shinkansen fare isn't cheap, from Shin-Kobe to Kyoto: non-reserve seat (car 1-3) 1,800 yen; reserve seat 2,800 yen. during peak hours, frequncy is every 10 - 15 min. 
Tickets are time specific, if you purchase in advance, you may change your ticket if your departure time has not passed. If you have IC card, just tap and go, otherwise purchase ticket through ticket counters or ticket machines which support four languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean. Most major station ticket counter had iPad for Google translation.

We plan to purchase our one day return ticket the day of at Shin-Kobe to Kyoto and yes fare is not inexpensive but we would like to experience shinkansen.  Once in Kyoto Station, an option we are looking at is taking taxi to Kinkajuki and then taxi to Nijo Castle before returning to the Station.  Taxi ranks seem available and no doubt more expensive than buses though should save us time (traffic dependent) - have you experience with taxis in Kyoto (do most drivers speak a little English)?  Thanks.

10 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

We plan to purchase our one day return ticket the day of at Shin-Kobe to Kyoto and yes fare is not inexpensive but we would like to experience shinkansen.  Once in Kyoto Station, an option we are looking at is taking taxi to Kinkajuki and then taxi to Nijo Castle before returning to the Station.  Taxi ranks seem available and no doubt more expensive than buses though should save us time (traffic dependent) - have you experience with taxis in Kyoto (do most drivers speak a little English)?  Thanks.

Shin-Kobe to Kyoto is 70 km with a stop at Shin-Osaka. You won't able to feel the speed of Shinkansen, because of short distance.

Kyoto Station North East has a foreign tourist taxi stand (simple English)
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9864454,135.7599404,3a,47.9y,32.19h,69.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saL1CV4ej-RnO1FQi9tAG_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=ja&entry=ttu

I usually print out the address in Japanese and show it to taxi driver, never lost in translation:

Nijō Castle 元離宮二条城  

Address: 〒604-8301 京都市中京区二条通堀川西入二条城町541

English guided tour:
https://nijo-jocastle.city.kyoto.lg.jp/castle_guide/guide_tour/?lang=en

Kinkaku-ji   金閣寺
Address:   〒603-8361 京都府京都市北区金閣寺町1

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Shin-Kobe to Kyoto is 70 km with a stop at Shin-Osaka. You won't able to feel the speed of Shinkansen, because of short distance.

Kyoto Station North East has a foreign tourist taxi stand (simple English)
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9864454,135.7599404,3a,47.9y,32.19h,69.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1saL1CV4ej-RnO1FQi9tAG_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=ja&entry=ttu

I usually print out the address in Japanese and show it to taxi driver, never lost in translation:

Nijō Castle 元離宮二条城  

Address: 〒604-8301 京都市中京区二条通堀川西入二条城町541

English guided tour:
https://nijo-jocastle.city.kyoto.lg.jp/castle_guide/guide_tour/?lang=en

Kinkaku-ji   金閣寺
Address:   〒603-8361 京都府京都市北区金閣寺町1

This is terrific information and thank you for posting the Japanese translation! Today found the Sky Hop Bus Kyoto https://skyhopbus.com/kyoto/. Another choice for transport that stops at both of the above sites and gives us an overview of others. We visit in late March next year and expect crowds/line-ups may be factor for cherry blossom tourism. Not usually a fan of the hop on hop offs but may be easier/cheaper than taking taxis. Have you ever used? 

8 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

This is terrific information and thank you for posting the Japanese translation! Today found the Sky Hop Bus Kyoto https://skyhopbus.com/kyoto/. Another choice for transport that stops at both of the above sites and gives us an overview of others. We visit in late March next year and expect crowds/line-ups may be factor for cherry blossom tourism. Not usually a fan of the hop on hop offs but may be easier/cheaper than taking taxis. Have you ever used? 

I totally avoid HOHO buses, Kyoto road traffic sometimes very congested. Here is my suggestion.

1. Shinkansen from Shin-Kobe station to Kyoto station
2. Take Central Exit to Subway Karasuma Line Kyoto station (K11)
3. Purchase a Kyoto City Subway One-Day Pass (800 yen)
https://www2.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/webguide/en/ticket/regular_1day_card_tika.html

4. Kyoto station to Kinkaku-ji temple
   a) subway Karasuma Line from Kyoto station (K11) to Kitaoji station (K04)
   b) in Kitaoji sttaion, take EXIT 2 or 3 to taxi stand.
   c) taxi to Kinkaku-ji temple , 10 min, fare 1,300 yen
   d) taxi stand near the temple entrance, taxi back to Kitaoji station (K04)  
5. Kyoto station to Nijo Castle
   a) subway Karasuma Line from Kyoto station (K11) to Karasuma Oike station (K08)
   b) transfer to Tozai Line, Karasuma Oike station (T13) to Nijojo-mae (Nijo-jo Castle) station (T14)

6. Travel from Kinkaku-ji temple to Nijo Castle.
   a) subway Karasuma Line from Kitaoji station (K04) to Karasuma Oike station (K08)
   b) transfer to Tozai Line, Karasuma Oike station (T13) to Nijojo-mae (Nijo-jo Castle) station (T14)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I totally avoid HOHO buses, Kyoto road traffic sometimes very congested. Here is my suggestion.

1. Shinkansen from Shin-Kobe station to Kyoto station
2. Take Central Exit to Subway Karasuma Line Kyoto station (K11)
3. Purchase a Kyoto City Subway One-Day Pass (800 yen)
https://www2.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/webguide/en/ticket/regular_1day_card_tika.html

4. Kyoto station to Kinkaku-ji temple
   a) subway Karasuma Line from Kyoto station (K11) to Kitaoji station (K04)
   b) in Kitaoji sttaion, take EXIT 2 or 3 to taxi stand.
   c) taxi to Kinkaku-ji temple , 10 min, fare 1,300 yen
   d) taxi stand near the temple entrance, taxi back to Kitaoji station (K04)  
5. Kyoto station to Nijo Castle
   a) subway Karasuma Line from Kyoto station (K11) to Karasuma Oike station (K08)

6. Travel from Kinkaku-ji temple to Nijo Castle.
   a) subway Karasuma Line from Kitaoji station (K04) to Karasuma Oike station (K08)

With much appreciation, we thank you for outlining in such detail that we can now successfully navigate Kyoto's public transportation. Our first visit to Japan and all of your responses have been very helpful.

25 minutes ago, WESTEAST said:

With much appreciation, we thank you for outlining in such detail that we can now successfully navigate Kyoto's public transportation. Our first visit to Japan and all of your responses have been very helpful.

Japanese are very polite and helpful, be prepare not everyone speak English. Use simple plain English to communicate. Have all your destination address in Japanese. I took taxi from Yokohama train station to cruise terminal and vice versa, no lost in translation.  Was rainy when in Aomori port, I took a bus 30 min to the south end shopping mall. I am the only non-Japanese there, after done all my shopping, they showed me the bus stop back to Aomori JR train station (cruise terminal)

For Japan subway and rail travel, utilizing the station numbering system (consisting of letters and numbers to train/subway station). It aims to facilitate navigation for foreign travelers not familiar with the local language by using globally understood characters.

e.g. Karasuma Line Kyoto station is (K11) in green color and Tozai Line, Karasuma Oike station is (T13) in red color, so you don't have to remember the lengthy station name. If you tell a subway station staff that you want to go from K11 to T13, he/she will know you want to travel from Kyoto Station on Karasuma Line to Karasuma Oike station on Tozai Line. No only in Japan, same token apply to Europe and Asian subway/train system.  

Travel time from Kyoto station to Kitaoji station by subway is 13 min, to Karasuma Oike station is 15 min. You cannot visit the Kinkaku-ji temple inside just photo shoot and admire from a distance, you will done your pilgrimage in 30 - 45 min. Also Nijo Castle isn't big neither. I pre-cruise stayed in Kyoto for 5 days last month.

2 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Japanese are very polite and helpful, be prepare not everyone speak English. Use simple plain English to communicate. Have all your destination address in Japanese. I took taxi from Yokohama train station to cruise terminal and vice versa, no lost in translation.  Was rainy when in Aomori port, I took a bus 30 min to the south end shopping mall. I am the only non-Japanese there, after done all my shopping, they showed me the bus stop back to Aomori JR train station (cruise terminal)

For Japan subway and rail travel, utilizing the station numbering system (consisting of letters and numbers to train/subway station). It aims to facilitate navigation for foreign travelers not familiar with the local language by using globally understood characters.

e.g. Karasuma Line Kyoto station is (K11) in green color and Tozai Line, Karasuma Oike station is (T13) in red color, so you don't have to remember the lengthy station name. If you tell a subway station staff that you want to go from K11 to T13, he/she will know you want to travel from Kyoto Station on Karasuma Line to Karasuma Oike station on Tozai Line. No only in Japan, same token apply to Europe and Asian subway/train system.  

Travel time from Kyoto station to Kitaoji station by subway is 13 min, to Karasuma Oike station is 15 min. You cannot visit the Kinkaku-ji temple inside just photo shoot and admire from a distance, you will done your pilgrimage in 30 - 45 min. Also Nijo Castle isn't big neither. I pre-cruise stayed in Kyoto for 5 days last month.

You are the very best source for great information! Noting the travel distances you've provided, do you have another favourite Kyoto sight to recommend (no doubt there are many)? We had thought to go with a tour guide but now that we understand how to navigate the public transportation, we will do it on our own and then can pace ourselves and pause as needed.

4 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

You are the very best source for great information! Noting the travel distances you've provided, do you have another favourite Kyoto sight to recommend (no doubt there are many)? We had thought to go with a tour guide but now that we understand how to navigate the public transportation, we will do it on our own and then can pace ourselves and pause as needed.

Below is part of Kyoto station map, so you know how to access the subway:

If you prefer eating Western style lunch, head back to Kyoto station to underground Porta, rows of restaurants in there.
If you have no mobility issue and able to walk two miles.
Take a taxi from Kyoto station to Kiyomizu-dera Buddhist temple (locate on a hill slope), visit the temple then walk down to Gion area through Sannenzaka, Yasaka Pagoda Photograph Spot and Ninenzaka. Look out for the tatami Starbucks! Once you reach Kodaijiminamimon-dori, you can take a taxi back to Kyoto head back to Kobe or continue walking to Yasaka Shrine and Famous Hanamikoji Street to end your walking tour. 
Remember most Japan attractions close at 5pm; Cash is King in Japan, mostly prefer cash transaction, so load up Japanese yen when rate is good.

Michael

Kyoto-Stn.pdf

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Google Map lookup if GION walk  suit you.

1. Kinkaku-ji             2.  Kiyomizu-dera            3. Ninenzaka

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

Beautiful photos thank you.  Hope weather is good for walking!  We will be in Kobe end of March so hoping for some cherry blossoms during our cruise stops in Japan. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, monkey@cruise said:

have been following your travel suggestions as our cruise arrives in Kobe on 3/16 and have plans to take the train to Kyoto and spend the night. Was hoping to get a good schedule when the trains depart for Kyoto as we were hoping to take the Shinkansen and get to Kyoto by around 9:00. Lots of post say there are frequent trains, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive site. I am looking at departing from Shin Kobe. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, LaBellaDonna said:

have been following your travel suggestions as our cruise arrives in Kobe on 3/16 and have plans to take the train to Kyoto and spend the night. Was hoping to get a good schedule when the trains depart for Kyoto as we were hoping to take the Shinkansen and get to Kyoto by around 9:00. Lots of post say there are frequent trains, but I can't seem to find a comprehensive site. I am looking at departing from Shin Kobe. Any suggestions?

Which ship will you sail on?  I check Kobe Port Authority schedule, no ship schedule overnight on March 16th. Azamara Journey will dock at Osaka Tempozan terminal from March 16th 8am till 17th 10pm.  From Kobe cruise terminal to Shin-Kobe is much easier and quicker than from Osaka cruise terminal to Shin-Osaka. Taking Shinkansen from Kobe is 30 min (1 stop, shin-Osaka) and 15 min from Osaka (non stop).

When you book a reserved seat, you'll get a specified train and seat. For non-reserved seats, you'll get better flexibility as you can take any train for the specified date/route.

Purchase an unreserved seat ticket, you can board any shinkansen heading to Tokyo (every 5 - 10 min), only carriage #1-3) and get off at Kyoto station.

• 4 weeks later...

We are traveling on Riviera and it is scheduled for Kobe overnight stop on 3/16. Checked 2 different websites and Oceania is scheduled for Kobe docking not Osaka. I finally did find a trains schedule which gave me three options on the Shinkansen as we would like to be in Kyoto by 9:00 am (the ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00. We were planning on purchasing the ticket at the station. Do all the Shin trains go to the Kyoto central station?

Thanks for the info on the carriages to use.

4 hours ago, LaBellaDonna said:

We are traveling on Riviera and it is scheduled for Kobe overnight stop on 3/16. Checked 2 different websites and Oceania is scheduled for Kobe docking not Osaka. I finally did find a trains schedule which gave me three options on the Shinkansen as we would like to be in Kyoto by 9:00 am (the ship is scheduled to dock at 7:00. We were planning on purchasing the ticket at the station. Do all the Shin trains go to the Kyoto central station?

Shin-Kobe station is small and easier to navigate than Shin-Osaka:
https://www.kobestation.com/shin-kobe-station-orientation-facilities/

Your ship will overnight at KOBE PORT TERMINAL, taxi stand is near the terminal entrance.
Either metro ¥420, 25min or taxi 15min ¥1,600 to Shin-Kobe station.

Any shinkansen head towards Tokyo stops at Kyoto station,  travel time 28min fare: ¥2,870 (non-reserved seat)

Most Japanese taxi drivers don't speak English, just show taxi driver the destination in Japanese.

KOBE PORT TERMINAL
神戸ポートターミナル

Shin-Kobe Station
新神戸駅

8 hours ago, LaBellaDonna said:

Here is the shinkansen schedule on March 16th arrive Kyoto at 9am, train runs every 15 min on Saturday.  I use Japan travel by Navitime for Japan public transport travel, fare is ¥2870  for non-reserved seat, pretty pricey

image.thumb.png.733828f90143ef92f4bfcf2f001ff07d.png

3 hours ago, LaBellaDonna said:

Thank you so much for the information. One more question, did you have delays disembarking once you got into port? I have read some horror stories about immigration checks taking hours.

You will sailing from Naha, Okinawa, Japan, so no immigration process but all passengers are subject to customs inspection (no meat, dairy products, fruit,.. carry on shore). I had Japan immigration clearance in Hakodate port when sailed from Busan, South Korea, it took 4-5 hours to clear, because the process was done onboard. Took me 1 hour in Kagoshima port when sailed from Jeju, South Korea, because we cleared in the cruise terminal with more kiosks.

Not just in Japan, my transatlantic cruise did a zero US immigration clearance in San Juan, took us 4 hours, with further delay because there were 10 passengers stayed onboard without through the immigration. 😡

For me are not horror stories, you have to prepare the unforeseen circumstances. 

Edited by monkey@cruise

55 minutes ago, LaBellaDonna said:

Hate to say if this is the way immigration works we won’t make any of our tours. We have a hiking trip in Yatsushiru, our first stop in Japan coming from SK, it will probably take ½ a day to get through.

For my Japan port immigration clearance, our timeslot priority is ship excursions, confirmed private tours (must show email confirmation), DIY individuals then staying onboard passengers. If your immigration clearance will be in a cruise terminal,  the disembark shouldn't be a lengthy delay.