Caribbean Ports - DIY - Ease & Safety - Advice Please!

Selbourne

Fort-de-France, Martinique:

We visited here in 2018 and it is the one that our lass recalls having a great experience in her wheelchair, despite her very much not being a flag waving Francophile.

It maintains a very strong French influence, and that is evident in the street layout, with a block street design, and a wide boulevard along the wide open seafront area near to the port; it very much had a French Riviera feel to it, but without the abundance of street cafés. 

Captain Brown parked the ship at the Pointe Simon pier, and from there is was a short, and very level walk/boule of about 400 metres to the edge of the town.  Along that journey you pass by a row of market stalls set up on the quayside. Incidentally, although Martinique uses the Euro, just about all of those traders would take the Yankee Dollar from you.

This is the footpath that runs along the seafront boulevard...

P1070079.thumb.JPG.3c26f1d201354e7a72d0b79135da6955.JPG

Of the side streets, there were a couple that did have narrow pavements, and were a little awkward for our lass to negotiate; like this one...

P1070082.thumb.JPG.de600d55f0ffa4ac7c757291caddcb9f.JPG

However, the majority of them were like this...

P1070090.thumb.JPG.95829806fc96cf04b0a943dfad1a30ad.JPG

P1070089.thumb.JPG.4b79f68f2406f051d4a0a6d2678fe5c4.JPG

There were also a few pedestrianised areas...

P1070100.thumb.JPG.cf93be113816997183097a0252fd2195.JPG

P1070102.thumb.JPG.936aeb6c859d04457c29db3d6a70f3a2.JPG

P1070103.thumb.JPG.149a760430c4551727bbfc5dbd37e2ce.JPG

The market...

P1070084.thumb.JPG.f4d40b83e4a0d571bc373da08ca2f577.JPG

To get from the town to the waterfront area is a breeze in a wheelchair; there are a few pedestrian crossings along the boulevard, and the dropped kerbs at them are excellent; an example...

Mainboulevard.png.150f1c69c8c280b8d70b2ea1da0b5739.png

This is part of the quayside...

P1070122.thumb.JPG.788f011f3ac7ad6ff4404ed9acd5aaf3.JPG

That's not an ideal example as there are steps down to that part, but the rest of the waterfront is a wide open and very wheelchair friendly area...

P1070124.thumb.JPG.d1a82d58f9d9736856dcf73aa3440938.JPG

P1070127.thumb.JPG.759d04fba35479e1a5700ab03e32f405.JPG

Apart from the narrow footpaths on a few side streets, I really don't think you and your good lady will have any problems getting around Fort-de-France.

---------------------------

Well, that's all the ports in the Caribbean we have visited that match your list. From my descriptions, and some of the photos, it may cause a little trepidation on your part, but please do not be concerned.  Overall, I'm sure your visits will be positive.

You may do the same but, when visiting somewhere for the first time as tourists, where we will need to negotiate the streets by foot/wheelchair, Google maps is my friend when planning; the street view aspect really helps in assessing the potential problems for the wheelchair. I use the same resource to find potential parking when we visit in a car.

There are plenty of resources already mentioned on this thread that you can look at, and of course, plenty of folk on here to offer sound advice.

Enjoy your planning; for me, that's half the fun of taking a trip.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Fort-de-France, Martinique:

We visited here in 2018 and it is the one that our lass recalls having a great experience in her wheelchair, despite her very much not being a flag waving Francophile.

It maintains a very strong French influence, and that is evident in the street layout, with a block street design, and a wide boulevard along the wide open seafront area near to the port; it very much had a French Riviera feel to it, but without the abundance of street cafés. 

Captain Brown parked the ship at the Pointe Simon pier, and from there is was a short, and very level walk/boule of about 400 metres to the edge of the town.  Along that journey you pass by a row of market stalls set up on the quayside. Incidentally, although Martinique uses the Euro, just about all of those traders would take the Yankee Dollar from you.

This is the footpath that runs along the seafront boulevard...

P1070079.thumb.JPG.3c26f1d201354e7a72d0b79135da6955.JPG

Of the side streets, there were a couple that did have narrow pavements, and were a little awkward for our lass to negotiate; like this one...

P1070082.thumb.JPG.de600d55f0ffa4ac7c757291caddcb9f.JPG

However, the majority of them were like this...

P1070090.thumb.JPG.95829806fc96cf04b0a943dfad1a30ad.JPG

P1070089.thumb.JPG.4b79f68f2406f051d4a0a6d2678fe5c4.JPG

There were also a few pedestrianised areas...

P1070100.thumb.JPG.cf93be113816997183097a0252fd2195.JPG

P1070102.thumb.JPG.936aeb6c859d04457c29db3d6a70f3a2.JPG

P1070103.thumb.JPG.149a760430c4551727bbfc5dbd37e2ce.JPG

The market...

P1070084.thumb.JPG.f4d40b83e4a0d571bc373da08ca2f577.JPG

To get from the town to the waterfront area is a breeze in a wheelchair; there are a few pedestrian crossings along the boulevard, and the dropped kerbs at them are excellent; an example...

Mainboulevard.png.150f1c69c8c280b8d70b2ea1da0b5739.png

This is part of the quayside...

P1070122.thumb.JPG.788f011f3ac7ad6ff4404ed9acd5aaf3.JPG

That's not an ideal example as there are steps down to that part, but the rest of the waterfront is a wide open and very wheelchair friendly area...

P1070124.thumb.JPG.d1a82d58f9d9736856dcf73aa3440938.JPG

P1070127.thumb.JPG.759d04fba35479e1a5700ab03e32f405.JPG

Apart from the narrow footpaths on a few side streets, I really don't think you and your good lady will have any problems getting around Fort-de-France.

---------------------------

Well, that's all the ports in the Caribbean we have visited that match your list. From my descriptions, and some of the photos, it may cause a little trepidation on your part, but please do not be concerned.  Overall, I'm sure your visits will be positive.

You may do the same but, when visiting somewhere for the first time as tourists, where we will need to negotiate the streets by foot/wheelchair, Google maps is my friend when planning; the street view aspect really helps in assessing the potential problems for the wheelchair. I use the same resource to find potential parking when we visit in a car.

There are plenty of resources already mentioned on this thread that you can look at, and of course, plenty of folk on here to offer sound advice.

Enjoy your planning; for me, that's half the fun of taking a trip.🙂

Officially the Caribbean island with the modern sophisticated medical facilities serving virtually every island save Barbados.  Not wishing anyone ill health but Martinique deals with most major heart and trauma injuries for the region and is part of the reason insurance is so high as those needing care are flown here.  Interestingly being French it is possible to use your GHIC for minor medical needs.  

Definitely the "sophisticate" amongst the islands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

For myself I’d say that cruise passengers are a pita for the local population in Kingstown.  One disembarks, walks across the dock, through the security gates and into the taxi-driver crush.  They’re all offering a wonderful tour and I expect they deliver - I believe St Vincent is a fascinating, nature-rich island.

If one choses not to take a tour and walks on, one is immediately into an area of cramped streets and local markets. Local markets for local people. No craft items, no tourist tat - it’s the stuff they need to get on with their lives - corn cobs, bars of pink Lifebuoy soap, bags of different-looking sweeties, screwdrivers, whatever.  The pavements are cramped.  There are stalls, on the pavement and in the road.

We didn’t feel unsafe but we didn’t feel welcome.  We were in the way and our presence did nothing to improve their lives - at first glance anyway.  Maybe at a deeper level through the whole island.

There is a lovely pub/hotel/destination called, I think, Cobblestones.  Its bar/restaurant is, unfortunately, upstairs.  No lift, afaik

There is a lovely cathedral which was behind scaffolding and screens when we were there.  I think you could check out whether you can get there.  It’s not terribly far - just awkward wrt roads, pavements,  kerbs, open sewers (yes, there was one 🤢)

These are all pre-C memories.  Things may have improved.  Research further.  Don’t be discouraged 

Yes, it is called the Cobblestones Hotel. For anyone who is interested it is on the main coast road in the centre of town. It has a lovely little rooftop bar restaurant, to get to which you need to go into the hotel's courtyard then up through the hotel on the left as you go in. I do not recall there being a lift but that does not mean that there is not one, just that I neither noticed or looked for it.

On 10/15/2023 at 11:26 AM, terrierjohn said:

St Maarten--I wonder if anyone knows if the shuttle ferries are wheelchair accessible, that would certainly be much quicker than the walk into town.

Ocho Rios - there is a Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville outdoor shopping centre just outside the port entrance, with cafe bar and a rather nice ice cream stall.

Bridgetown Barbados- the boardwalk alongside the inlet is a good place to spot the odd turtle.

Martinique -- being on a smaller ship you could be berthed right in the town centre, being on Ventura we were berthed about a 20 minute into the town.

We were in St Maarten last November and the taxi back from the town was actually cheaper than the water taxi, though that was just a standard taxi, do not know if accessible taxis are available.  We got a taxi direct to Marigot and returned to St Maarten by bus that day, so only did the return from the town.

• Like 1

We used Victor Bodden in Roatan. Essentially you have a vehicle and driver for the day who takes you where you choose. If you mention your mobility issues I'm sure he'll use a vehicle that can carry your chair although not with a ramp or lift. We found him to be very reasonable and knowledgeable.  The island itself is a very nice place and although not very accessible you'll be able to get the best out of it with his advice I'm sure. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2023 at 9:08 AM, Dunchues said:

We used Victor Bodden in Roatan. Essentially you have a vehicle and driver for the day who takes you where you choose. If you mention your mobility issues I'm sure he'll use a vehicle that can carry your chair although not with a ramp or lift. We found him to be very reasonable and knowledgeable.  The island itself is a very nice place and although not very accessible you'll be able to get the best out of it with his advice I'm sure. 

My sister and I have booked a western Caribbean cruise on Harmony of the Seas coming up in March; Roatan is one of the ports and so far, there are no accessible excursions available. May I ask how to get ahold of Victor Bodden? Thank you so much!!

Davember, his website is www.boddentours.com.

We're there agIn in February too, although a different ship, MSC Divina. We have booked another bunch of things to do with him, and can't wait! He runs an excellent company and he is great at communicating quickly and clearly.