What's the best specialty restaurant on the E-Class ships and do I need an advance reservation?

DrKoob

We did all of them on Apex recently, all reserved in advance for later (European?) slots, but see below. Overall I felt the experience might well have come down to individual taste and the atmos on the night.

The best for atmosphere and choice was Eden. We also had the romantic table right over the wake.

Steak House was very steaky, and no that's not being naive, it does what it says on the tin and more some. The first few mouthfuls taste great, but by the end you're really carving away thinking guilty thoughts about the third world. We went at 8.30 and it was quite empty.

Raw was good, though I would have liked a better lobster option if you don't like oysters. The starters were better than the mains... consider more starters instead; this is the only pay-as-you-go restaurant. We went at 8.30 and it was empty, filling up later with officers, which I suppose is a good sign.

Rooftop Grill was very good, but I had the impression that this was largely because of the excellent, warm and not too windy weather. It felt a bit exposed, with occasional people walking past, but the food and service was good. Not busy.

In future I'd be more relaxed about (not) booking in advance. Our cruise was full, but apart from Eden the restaurants at 8pm were not.You could have turned up on the fly, depending on what you had felt like eating after seeing the martini bar show.