What's the best specialty restaurant on the E-Class ships and do I need an advance reservation?

DrKoob

We are Elite Plus X cruisers who have never been on an E-class ship but we have one booked at Christmas. Would love to know if there are any specialty restaurants you feel are worth the money. 

We have heard good things about Eden, Prime Cut and Le Grand Bistro. 

On S, M and even back on C class ships, we could always get a reservation once on board but what is your experience with doing that? Are there some that we HAVE TO GET advance reservations for.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

Hi! It does depend on which E-class ship you are on! Most people swear by Eden, but we have been there several times and it is not our favorite. We like Fine Cut the best, but only if you plan to eat around 6 p.m. or so…it gets really loud later than that, as it is open to the Martini Bar below. Le Petit Chef is very good, but check the menus; I think the better menus are at the second half of the cruise. Finally, Le Voyage seems to be a big hit; I am looking forward to trying it in January!

On a Holiday sailing especially, I would book prior to boarding. On other cruises, I am willing to take my chances (and book upon boarding), but I have been on several Holiday cruises, and they do seem to book up quickly. X will hold some reservations back from pre-booking, but unless I was in an upper suite (a girl can dream, right? 😉), I would pre-book.

Enjoy your Holiday cruise!

• Like 3

Res suggested for all Specialty dinner Rest.  Book ahead on the cruise planner for times you prefer!

The Grand Bistro( as opposed to The LPC)  is great for lunch on boarding day or  a day you will eat lite for dinner.   Excellent soups, wine service  food etc.  Lovely atmosphere and view.. Worth the upcharge.!

We also liked RAW ON FIVE..which much more than a Sushi Restaurant.  Great apps, Steak etc and some amazing rolls.   Go early, fills up fast!

We are trying EDEN and FINE cut for the first time on ASCENT.. so can't comment. FINE CUT overlooks the Martini Bar area so hope to avoid noise drifting up!

if your E ship has  a World Class Bar, def try it!

• Like 1

I went to Eden twice as I really enjoyed it but I had to (and recommend) booking before the cruise as it was sold out when I was on Beyond.

Personally LPC doesn't interest me but I did go to Le Grand Bistro for lunch which I enjoyed.

We're also sailing on E-class (Ascent) for the first time in December. 

Since specialty dining is so much more expensive on E-class ships, I'm wondering if those who have dined in these restaurants see the additional value that comes with the high cover charge? We're already paying a premium for AQ, a new ship, and a holiday sailing.

Here are the prices I'm seeing in Canadian dollars. 

- Fine Cut - $88.80 Canadian per person

- Rooftop Grille - $61.47 Cdn

- Eden - $81.97 Cdn

- Le Voyage - $102.46 Cdn

- Le Petit Chef - $81.97 Cdn

- Dinner on the Edge - $176.23 Cdn

38 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

We're also sailing on E-class (Ascent) for the first time in December. 

Since specialty dining is so much more expensive on E-class ships, I'm wondering if those who have dined in these restaurants see the additional value that comes with the high cover charge? We're already paying a premium for AQ, a new ship, and a holiday sailing.

- Eden - $81.97 Cdn

We're on the Beyond in March and were on her back in early December. We didn't do any specialty dining in December and didn't miss it. For the upcoming cruise, since it's a milestone bd cruise and 11 nights, I booked Eden, Fine Cut, and Rooftop Grille. Most of the cost was covered by OBC, but I would have still booked Eden since we loved the place previously (not the restaurant, obviously, but the area and bar).

I would say whether or not they're worth it depends on you. We had really good meals in 3 of the 4 MDRs back in December. (Didn't have a great experience in Tuscan but loved the others.) I believe we dined one night in Raw on Five because we both love sushi. I can't imagine that Dinner on the Edge could ever be worth that cost honestly. We've done Le Petit Chef previously on an S-class ship and I don't see the appeal in doing it again. I'd suggest buying a package if you really want specialty dining, but the big drawback there is that you can't pre-reserve your meals.

If you're already in AQ and have Blu, I'd skip specialty. I am assuming that you can eat in MDR in addition to Blu. As you said, it's a new ship and a holiday sailing, I'm sure everything will be a great experience without. Our ship was decorated for the holiday and it was truly gorgeous.

• Thanks 1

Personal opinion Eden is top notch and in my opinion much better than Murano.  I've not tired Le Voyage yet as I have not sailed a ship with it aboard.

To me Le Petite Chef is one and done and more into entertainment than food quality and prep.

Fine cut was OK but due to location the sound pollution from the Atrium Martini Bar and the "Show" is beyond loud and distracts from the potential it could have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

- Eden - $81.97 Cdn

- Fine Cut - $88.80 Canadian per person - I'm 50/50 on this - others like it but I don't personally think I would do this on a cruise especially if already paying more

- Rooftop Grille - $61.47 Cdn - I haven't been here yet but as you mentioned you already are in AQ and it's costing more due to holiday season so I would say leave it for another trip

- Eden - $81.97 Cdn - yes

- Le Voyage - $102.46 Cdn - I've heard really good things on this

- Le Petit Chef - $81.97 Cdn - no

- Dinner on the Edge - $176.23 Cdn - no it gets cancelled a lot due to weather anyway

These are just my opinions, I liked Eden and for my Apex cruises next year I already purchased them but keep in mind watch if any sales come up. My July cruise there was a sale that included Eden so I cancelled and rebooked for cheaper 😉

I regret not doing Le Voyage last year because I've heard a lot of good reviews just at the time I didn't have the $ as I just moved.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We're on the Beyond in March and were on her back in early December. We didn't do any specialty dining in December and didn't miss it. For the upcoming cruise, since it's a milestone bd cruise and 11 nights, I booked Eden, Fine Cut, and Rooftop Grille. Most of the cost was covered by OBC, but I would have still booked Eden since we loved the place previously (not the restaurant, obviously, but the area and bar).

I would say whether or not they're worth it depends on you. We had really good meals in 3 of the 4 MDRs back in December. (Didn't have a great experience in Tuscan but loved the others.) I believe we dined one night in Raw on Five because we both love sushi. I can't imagine that Dinner on the Edge could ever be worth that cost honestly. We've done Le Petit Chef previously on an S-class ship and I don't see the appeal in doing it again. I'd suggest buying a package if you really want specialty dining, but the big drawback there is that you can't pre-reserve your meals.

If you're already in AQ and have Blu, I'd skip specialty. I am assuming that you can eat in MDR in addition to Blu. As you said, it's a new ship and a holiday sailing, I'm sure everything will be a great experience without. Our ship was decorated for the holiday and it was truly gorgeous.

We  will be in AQ Class with BLU but have  booked the same specialties as you did for my b day cruise!  nice to break thjngs up..Early res at Fine Cut to avoid noise from below

I sailed on Beyond last January and ate at Eden twice and Le Voyage once.  I enjoyed Eden so much more than Le Voyage that I ate there an unplanned third night.  

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Le Voyage on Beyond was “ok”.  But it was pretty gloomy, dark and no windows.   I really liked Eden, the food and the view of the wake.

I also agree with zitsky's remarks about Le Voyage being dark and gloomy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Le Voyage on Beyond was “ok”.  But it was pretty gloomy, dark and no windows.   I really liked Eden, the food and the view of the wake.

I agree about the window thing

It amazes me when people are adamant to get a window seat in a restaurant in the later evening hours 

For the fall and winter months, it’s so bloody dark outside you can’t see out anyways.

Now if you are lucky to get an early seat at Eden (always booked up before boarding day)

Then agree the wake view, adds to the culinary experience second to the food 

We are all for the experience of looking out to darkness (not) but we judge a quality restaurant on its food first 

JMHO

Hi Jim,

We are on the Beyond now on our first leg of a B3B. Booked dining packages ahead of sailing but made reservations on the first day of cruise. We were able to get all of restaurants at the times we preferred (we are early diners 6 to 6:30). Our favorites are Eden and Rooftop Grill. Le Voyage was ok but we will not be booking for the next 2 cruises. Fine Cut  and Raw on 5 are also good, we have always had  good meals and great service. La Petite Chef was a one and done for us, wish they had kept Quisine. Le Grand Bistro is very good and our go to for lunch on boarding days.

Yesterday after a long day of touring around Athens, we did not feel like going to the dining room so went up to RoofTop and had no trouble getting a table with no reservation at 6pm. This might not happen on a holiday cruise.

Glad you and Kathleen are doing well, I have been following your adventures on your blog and nice to see you back on Celebrity.

Jane & Ron

My favorite restaurant is Eden.  We go at least once per sailing.  We enjoy the roof top food- but the location isn't great- noisy and can be too sunny or windy depending on the time of day- the Lawn club grill on the Reflection and Silhouette better IMO.  The steak house is good- but nothing special.  Book before you board for the best times.

11 hours ago, nstigliano said:

We have been on E class several times. If you have the opportunity we definitely recommend Eden and Le Voyage. Yes, make reservations before hand especially at Christmas.

Ditto!  

9 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

I agree about the window thing

It amazes me when people are adamant to get a window seat in a restaurant in the later evening hours 

For the fall and winter months, it’s so bloody dark outside you can’t see out anyways.

We are those people. The reason is to be a bit more separated from tables next you. Nothing worse than sitting at a table for two and to your right and left maybe 10 inches away are also tables for two. If we wanted to sit with others, we’d ask for a larger table. 

Edited by Cruise Gopher

So many different opinions.

On the Edge, we enjoyed the choice of the 4 MDRs and found the food, the service and the menu very good-- nothing to complain about.

As a matter of fact, one night the Maitre'd asked if there was something that we might like that was not on the menu and he had it prepared for us the next night.

As for the Specialty restaurants, they all seemed similar to what we can get at home, except the Rooftop Gardens, and it was excellent. 

LOL-- Off Subject:

We had a very nice cabin in which we could not find the verandah-- Our Cabin Steward pointed to a 3 ft extension to the room and lowered the window halfway down--- That's it ????

On a recent thread re Cruise Directors--- Can't comment--- Don't care--- We don't participate in the Newlywed game, the Art Auction, or where the best deals are in port , you know, the places that provide the Cruise Line with a " Thank You $$ ". 

Now, waiting for another " Who's the Captain ,etc etc " thread.

C'est la vie.