Acropolis Backpack Policy? Bag Storage?

Hydro ergo

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find out what types of bags/backpacks are permitted at the Acropolis.  I've seen "small backpacks" listed as a guide on several sites.  Anyone have actual experience?  I had hoped to carry my Camelback pack with me really for the purpose of water but now I'm wondering if that's not going to be allowed.  The thought of walking around Athens all day with the one bottle of water I could fit in my "purse" sized bag is frustrating.  Yes, I realize I can keep buying bottles of water/refilling my reusable, but that gets annoying...I drink about 3 liters a day.  If not permitted inside the Acropolis, do they have any type of secure bag check area or anything? Then I could at least have it for the rest of the day.  

And I know---pickpockets...and having a backpack makes me a target. It would literally only contain a water bladder, couple granola bars, and possibly a jacket/umbrella depending on the weather the day we visit. 

I did see that Pompeii has a bag policy but there's is quite clear about size and that they have onsite lockers for anything larger.

Thank you!

I believe the intent is to limit the very large, functional backpacks such as actual hikers carry. I do not think a reasonably sized personal backpack would be prohibited.

I suspect they are stricter in Pompeii due to the close quarters inside some of the restored houses and the potential

for people wearing backpacks without situational awareness to damage delicate wall surfaces (such as frescoes) by rubbing them with their packs.

On 10/17/2023 at 5:24 PM, Hydro ergo said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find out what types of bags/backpacks are permitted at the Acropolis.  I've seen "small backpacks" listed as a guide on several sites.  Anyone have actual experience?  I had hoped to carry my Camelback pack with me really for the purpose of water but now I'm wondering if that's not going to be allowed.  The thought of walking around Athens all day with the one bottle of water I could fit in my "purse" sized bag is frustrating.  Yes, I realize I can keep buying bottles of water/refilling my reusable, but that gets annoying...I drink about 3 liters a day.  If not permitted inside the Acropolis, do they have any type of secure bag check area or anything? Then I could at least have it for the rest of the day.  

And I know---pickpockets...and having a backpack makes me a target. It would literally only contain a water bladder, couple granola bars, and possibly a jacket/umbrella depending on the weather the day we visit. 

I did see that Pompeii has a bag policy but there's is quite clear about size and that they have onsite lockers for anything larger.

Thank you!

I think you'll be fine. We were just there a couple weeks ago. We saw many people with small to average-sized backpacks. We did see one person turned away with a backpack, but it was HUGE....looked like he had a big box on his back. 

I just posted this on another thread:

We arrived at 8:15 and needed to wait off to the side till exactly 8:45.  Then my DH was told his backpack needed to be checked, even though the two ticket takers had seen us and his backpack at 8:15 and didn't say a word about it.  When my DH asked why they didn't tell him to check it then, they said didn't notice it.  We were 2 of 4 people at that time.  My DH ran back and checked it at the cloakroom (free) and ran back.  Huge tour groups were starting to come in and he was able to enter.

By the way, the ticket takers are arbitrary on what size of backpack they will allow through, so I would suggest checking anything backpack-like. In addition, I noticed many backpacks were allowed that were the same size as my DH's so there is no standard that is used.

20 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I just posted this on another thread:

We arrived at 8:15 and needed to wait off to the side till exactly 8:45.  Then my DH was told his backpack needed to be checked, even though the two ticket takers had seen us and his backpack at 8:15 and didn't say a word about it.  When my DH asked why they didn't tell him to check it then, they said didn't notice it.  We were 2 of 4 people at that time.  My DH ran back and checked it at the cloakroom (free) and ran back.  Huge tour groups were starting to come in and he was able to enter.

By the way, the ticket takers are arbitrary on what size of backpack they will allow through, so I would suggest checking anything backpack-like. In addition, I noticed many backpacks were allowed that were the same size as my DH's so there is no standard that is used.

Thanks for the update. I don’t remember seeing any bag storage at the Acropolis. Makes me want to rethink my bag choice for this excursion. 

9 minutes ago, monzmom79 said:

Thanks for the update. I don’t remember seeing any bag storage at the Acropolis. Makes me want to rethink my bag choice for this excursion. 

The bag storage is one of the little buildings you'll see, like the ticket office, down the hill from the Acropolis entrance.  I didn't see any crossbody satchels checked.  If your backpack goes over both shoulders, you might want to check it.  Or ask at the gate what the ticket takers think.  😉