Docked vs Anchored (e.g. tender port)

SteelCity Cruiser

Is there some way to find out whether a port will be one at which we will be docked or anchored (thus tendering to shore)?  I've been through all of the documents we've received for our Istanbul to Athens cruise and checked the web site but haven't successfully located this information.  TIA.

26 minutes ago, Torquer said:

In the itinerary on the O website, if you see a little anchor symbol next to a port, it means it is a tender port.  For example Punta Del Este is a tender port while Montevideo is a docking port:

image.png.203c278eaeab0f4c2eb37f9d164f5b6c.png

Thank you.  I was wondering if we'd be docked or tendered at Mykonos because I understand the tenders take you right into the old town section but if you are docked you need to shuttle in (or take the water taxi). 

Would be nice if they included that info on the itinerary in your final documents.

(and yes, I know that status could change depending on what other ships are in port on a given day)

8 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

I was wondering if we'd be docked or tendered at Mykonos because I understand the tenders take you right into the old town section but if you are docked you need to shuttle in (or take the water taxi). 

Mykonos is one of the few ports where it is much better to tender than it is to dock since they take you right to the interesting part of town.  Good luck.

52 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Would be nice if they included that info on the itinerary in your final documents.

(and yes, I know that status could change depending on what other ships are in port on a given day)

I just checked my most recent cruise documents.  They do include this information, but you have to actually read it.  

On our Vista Cruise this past August around the British Isles we had fo tender four times and would have been five but we were unable to tender in Stornoway. All information from Oceania had us docking. Most of those ports were tender only. It does make a difference in having this knowledge ahead of time. Someone with mobility concerns would be stuck on the ship in those ports. Again, communication is key.

2 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Thank you.  I was wondering if we'd be docked or tendered at Mykonos because I understand the tenders take you right into the old town section but if you are docked you need to shuttle in (or take the water taxi). 

FYI, a useful site is whatsinport.com that identifies information about the port of call and links to the cruise schedule calendar where you can find out what ships are due in port on your day.

17 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Well, I DID actually read our documents and it wasn't included in them, but thank you for kindly pointing that out.

In your guest statement, the anchor-symbol will appear next to the port's departure time IF it's a planned anchor port. Sometimes an unplanned anchor port happens (e.g., pier damage, weather, last-minute schedule changes by the port (although we can go on and on about what "last minute" means in O-land)).

In the blue book, either "dock" or "anchor" was listed for each port. However, I am a cynical sort so I often double check the actual ports' schedules if I want to know for sure (and even then it might change).

44 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

Well, I DID actually read our documents and it wasn't included in them, but thank you for kindly pointing that out.

Are your documents not from Oceania? Our TA provides us with an Oceania's Guest statement and the cruise itinerary shows anchor symbols for those ports that are scheduled for tendering. Nothing is shown for ports that are docking  If your does not show any anchors, then, I would assume they are scheduled for docking, although last minute changes can occur.

Which specific cruise are you on?

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

In your guest statement, the anchor-symbol will appear next to the port's departure time IF it's a planned anchor port. Sometimes an unplanned anchor port happens (e.g., pier damage, weather, last-minute schedule changes by the port (although we can go on and on about what "last minute" means in O-land)).

In the blue book, either "dock" or "anchor" was listed for each port. However, I am a cynical sort so I often double check the actual ports' schedules if I want to know for sure (and even then it might change).

Use of blue book maybe confusing to ones new to Oceania. Post Covid, blue booklets no longer exist and have been revamped and folder is now in paper with a velcro closure and called Cruise Vacation Guide.