Will their be a wine tasting event?

1sttimerrt

In our experience, guests do no sign up for a general wine tasting event. No need.  This is an "open to all" venue.   

You show up--usually on the mid-morning of the second cruise day; usually in the Atrium outside Compass Rose.  A plethora of wines will be displayed for your tasting pleasure.  Specifics will be shown on "Passages"--the daily Notice left on your bed each evening.  When in doubt, double-check with the Service Staff at lunch or dinner on your first night aboard..  

You will have the opportunity to taste a variety of "Included Wines" to be served at lunch and dinner during your cruise.  Take Notes.  This will facilitate preferences at dining venues.  

This "event" is well-attended.

GOARMY!.  

• Like 1

There is a lunch which is accompanied by the 'revenue' wines which is very good and a way to try out some nicer wines than the included ones. Speak to the Sommelier at lunch on the first day (a nice way to spend OBC)

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

TS:

Techno123 described the "Connoisseur Wine Lunch" opportunity.  This is VERY popular, as fine wines are pared with a special menu.  Cost (hopefully taken care-of with OBCs) is around $170.00 pp.  We felt this was reasonable, considering food, ambience, and those "Revenue" wines made for a special experience.  Definitely "sign-up" with Sommelier while at that initial La Veranda or Pool Grill lunch. Two such lunches were offered while we were on our recent Explorer Vancouver-Tokyo segment.  Again--consult "Passages" and/or a Sommelier.   

In addition--Regent has instituted a "Connoisseur Wine Dining Experience" on several ships.  We attended one of the first of these dinners in June when aboard Navigator; then again this month when on Explorer.  A bit-more pricy--$298.00pp. 

GOARMY!

5 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Specifics will be shown on "Passages"--the daily Notice left on your bed each evening

PSA about Passages. The announcement for the free wine tasting early in the cruise is not in the schedule. It is in one of the "picture ads" elsewhere in the pamphlet. It's a good idea to at least glance through the whole Passages because lots of info is not on the schedule page.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RELS said:

It's a good idea to at least glance through the whole Passages because lots of info is not on the schedule page.

Two notable items that are sometimes not listed on the schedule in Passages, but may only appear as photo ads:

Old and New World wine tasting of included wines

Sunday Brunch at Sea

Great advice to look at all the "ads"!

8 minutes ago, Golfwife1 said:

Just off Splendor. Port intensive cruise. No open tasting event for the included freebie wines. I specifically inquired. YMMV. 

I've been wondering about this since I board in 10 days on a cruise with no sea days. Thanks for the info. Will just try what I want at dinner!

2 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I've been wondering about this since I board in 10 days on a cruise with no sea days. Thanks for the info. Will just try what I want at dinner!

Request the included wine list be sent to your cabin on day 1. That helped me. And they almost always will get any wine from any restaurant. Rarely do you get pushback on a specific wine request.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There is no reason why you can't do your own wine tasting of the included wines at one of the bars and/or in the various dining rooms. Ask what they have got and ask to try the ones you fancy (make a note on your phone of the ones you like or take a pen and paper). In fairness, the sea day tasting we did on Navigator was VERY busy and I will probably do this in 3 weeks on the Explorer 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

There is no reason why you can't do your own wine tasting of the included wines at one of the bars and/or in the various dining rooms. Ask what they have got and ask to try the ones you fancy (make a note on your phone of the ones you like or take a pen and paper). In fairness, the sea day tasting we did on Navigator was VERY busy and I will probably do this in 3 weeks on the Explorer 😁

Good luck. One night early on I asked to try the five or six whites offered in Chartreuse and it seemed to tax the sommelier and staff and he was not happy at all. Overall, we ordered quite a lot from the premium list on our trip, but that is just me. If you have the open tasting, that is great. We did not, so it was a mixed bag. If you find something you like, get it for your suite. 

• Like 1

The wine tasting event only included a couple of wines from the included list. Very uneventful. We did our real wine tasting at dinners. You have to keep asking for wines to try because they seem reluctant at times to offer more than the 1 or 2 recommended wines for that venue. We found a decent French wine and asked for it at every venue. Multiple times we were told that they didn’t have it. We called their bluff and told them that we had it in Chartreuse. They said it will take some time to get it from a different venue and it showed up pretty quickly. Eventually, the staff got to know our group and knew what we wanted. We did take a picture of the wine label to show them exactly what we were asking for. Moral of the story, keep asking and you may discover an included wine that you enjoy.

• Like 2

Hope there is some left after our Splendor cruise. 😂 It’s a $13 bottle of wine retail so it’s not up there with the good one’s but this is what you get included with Regent. We liked it over any of the Cabernet’s or blends they offered but to each his own. Try all you can and settle on what works best for you. 

• Like 1