Jan/feb South Hampton-Miami crossing

There’s some good deals for a repositioning cruises to and from a dry dock on NCL Joy in January from Miami to South Hampton and the reverse in February.  Most of the talk I’ve seen is for October/November and April/March type crossings. How bad is this route in mid winter? 

I’ve been on a similar sized ship in Alaska when a window was busted on the second deck and spray was reported as high as the 7th and people were lifted out of bed at 3:30 in the morning. With my Emeterm bracelet I slept right through it and even ate breakfast in the morning (skipped the coffee though).

I know sees are unpredictable and it can be smooth as glass or giant waves but what would be the median at this time of year on that route?

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

There’s some good deals for a repositioning cruises to and from a dry dock on NCL Joy in January from Miami to South Hampton and the reverse in February.  Most of the talk I’ve seen is for October/November and April/March type crossings. How bad is this route in mid winter? 

I’ve been on a similar sized ship in Alaska when a window was busted on the second deck and spray was reported as high as the 7th and people were lifted out of bed at 3:30 in the morning. With my Emeterm bracelet I slept right through it and even ate breakfast in the morning (skipped the coffee though).

I know sees are unpredictable and it can be smooth as glass or giant waves but what would be the median at this time of year on that route?

In Jan/Feb, you could have smooth seas, but it is most unlikely. The last 2 - 3 days before and after Southampton are likely to be rough, as you navigate the Channel, Western Approaches and Bay of Biscay.

From Miami, the shortest direct courses take you well up into the Northern Atlantic, which has more potential for heavy weather than a more southerly route. From Southampton, you are more likely to take a more southerly routing, so once clear of the bay of Biscay, it could be smoother sailing.

I have done a number of crossings at that time of year and never experienced flat calm, generally moderate to rough seas, with the worst being seas up as high as the Bridge windows.

• Like 1