Turnagain Arm or Blackstone Glacier

suli

Had booked the Princess transfer from the ship to Anchorage, but will

have to wait until 9:30pm to fly east. Feel that a better option would be

to do an excursion to use up some of the time and most importantly see

more of Alaska as I assume this is a once off trip. Which excursion would

be the best Turnagain Arm or Blackstone Glacier? My husband doesn't want to rent a car and I feel that several hours at the Egan Center and

vicinity would be too tiring and drawn out. Would love to hear your opinions as without your help I wouldn't be making this trip at all.

You will be on the Turnagain Arm, no matter how you go, only way to get to Anchorage. What are you doing at Blackstone Glacier??? I would also suggest you might want to consider one of the excellent glacier boat tours out of Whittier, way superior to anything from your cruise ship.

For clairfication, Egan Center is right downtown with plenty to see and do there too. Request the visitor guide, a very nice walking tour map included. http://www.anchorage.net

BQ, thanks for the quick reply to my questions. The Blackstone Glacier

Adventure Cruise is through a magnificent glacier-carved fjord and approach icy cliffs of 2 tidewater glaciers. Look at plancton through microscopes, see glacier ice close up and photograph sea otters. A baked halibut lunch is also included. The Turnagain Arm is a History and Tram Tour. I thought that the day spent walking around Anchorage might be too exhausting and that a tour might be more relaxing. If we did a tour

with an independent what would we do with our luggage? You can tell, I'm new to all this. Thank you for all your help and expert advice.

The Blackstone Glacier/Bay trip is an excellent outing which also goes from Whittier. I speak from experience since I know many of the crew/teachers who work that trip (including my wife) and have been on it several times myself. It was originally designed as an educational program by Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours (owned by Kenai Fjords Tours/Alaska Heritage) for school kids but was expanded to the summer tourist season by the company.

Blackstone Bay has several very active glaciers and the tour does give you hands on experience with plankton sampling, glacial ice flow, etc. Much more of an educational experience than most cruises in the area and the water is very calm throughout the trip. It is a shorter trip (about 4 hours since Blackstone Bay is closer to Whittier and an offshoot of Passage Canal) but certainly worth your time. Highly recommended.

As others have said, once you leave Whittier, you travel to Anchorage along Turnagain Arm which takes care of the sightseeing.

Archived