Tampa and Crystal River/Manatee Swim

Sgomer79

We are booking a cruise out of Tampa and would like to come in early and swim with manatees in Crystal River pre cruise.   Cruise starts on Thursday, we are thinking about flying in Tuesday evening to see the manatees on Wednesday.    

Any suggestions on logistics, lodging (where to stay, 4 adults) etc knowing that Crystal river is considerably north of Tampa.

When is your trip?   Right now, it’s really warm so the manatees aren’t in the springs yet to warm up but soon they will be arriving for the cold weather.  Manatee ‘season’ is November-April, but they are in very large numbers generally in January and February.   I have several suggestions on where to stay and companies to use for the manatee swim (or kayaking).   I’ve used Groupon for some of my manatee swims when my family and friends come to visit and those have worked out great.

There is a lovely park on the way, about 20 minutes from Crystal River, in Homosassa Springs called the Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park.  They have some rescued manatees as well as other native Florida wildlife like Florida panthers and black bears and it’s a nice way to spend an hour or two.  

You’ll want to rent a car to get to Crystal River, about 1 hour and 15 minutes away from the Tampa airport.  

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 5:03 PM, Yooperbrew said:

When is your trip?   Right now, it’s really warm so the manatees aren’t in the springs yet to warm up but soon they will be arriving for the cold weather.  Manatee ‘season’ is November-April, but they are in very large numbers generally in January and February.   I have several suggestions on where to stay and companies to use for the manatee swim (or kayaking).   I’ve used Groupon for some of my manatee swims when my family and friends come to visit and those have worked out great.

There is a lovely park on the way, about 20 minutes from Crystal River, in Homosassa Springs called the Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park.  They have some rescued manatees as well as other native Florida wildlife like Florida panthers and black bears and it’s a nice way to spend an hour or two.  

You’ll want to rent a car to get to Crystal River, about 1 hour and 15 minutes away from the Tampa airport.  

Sorry for the delayed response, work has kept me away from the boards lately.   Our trip is in December 2024.  We are currently thinking that we will come in late Tuesday for our Thursday cruise.  Had already figured we would have to rent a car to get to wherever we opt for the manatees.   One traveler will need a 4x wetsuit, I know that may limit some of the options of who to go with for a tour.  

Great tip on the other park. Will plan to also check that out while in the area.

Springs are 72 degrees year round.  Warm for someone coming from your location.  Chilly if you are a local.

Would think that a drive from Missouri wouldn't take much longer than flying into Tampa and driving up.

10 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Springs are 72 degrees year round.  Warm for someone coming from your location.  Chilly if you are a local.

Would think that a drive from Missouri wouldn't take much longer than flying into Tampa and driving up.

Tampa would be a 16 hour drive without stops.  So 2 days  each way that my daughter and son in law don't have to spare, they don't have the luxury of 29 PTO days a year like I have.  One of them is already taking an unpaid week off for this trip.

It’s about 65- 75 minutes, give or take a few minutes, from the Tampa airport to Crystal River.  It’s up the ‘suncoast parkway’ which is a paid turnpike, but it’s all either with a transponder or bill by plate, no cash or booths on that road.  It’s a little busy right at the airport, but traffic clears out quickly and it’s I think 70 mph speed limit so it’s pretty quick.  I drive to the airport often, and it’s quick and convenient.  As far as a larger wetsuit, the companies would maybe have one but you’d have to call in advance for sure.