charter flight luggage size/weight

Travels with Lisa

13 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

I just spoke to Seabourn Australia and they have stated + 10kg carry-on so that's good know. This is for the charted flight from Sydney to Honiara.

If you get some time, look at the plaques on the walls of the airport terminal.  Some great history from the fighting for that airstrip during World War II.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Weight and balance matters.  Big time.

I have a friend who's a load supervisor at DL - his job is to ensure that there is proper weight and balance, calculating luggage, passengers, crew and fuel.  Another friends that is a dispatcher with AA - who takes all of those weight and balance numbers, processes them with fuel load, winds, aircraft performance and much more to determine how and if an aircraft can operate on its assigned route.  Both tell me that weights are becoming more and more critical - especially with a number of newer aircraft which have smaller tolerances to work with.

Note how check-in agents are now routinely entering the weight of each of your bags into the computer system.  So the people on the ops/dispatch side can do accurate calculations of belly weights.  Each container of bags now has a known weight - all for the purpose of accurate calculations.

So when an airline say "you get X lbs per passenger max", they mean it.

And for everyone that wants to take more than what the limit is....well, you could always just buy your own ticket on a scheduled flight EZE to USH and meet the ship on your own.  Otherwise... suck it up.

Why are you so rude and nasty?  I didn’t see one person on this thread say they are ignoring or disregarding rules.  Take it easy, man.  (Or did you just post this to tell everyone about all your fancy friends?) 

39 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you get some time, look at the plaques on the walls of the airport terminal.  Some great history from the fighting for that airstrip during World War II.

Thanks for this. I will try to look but I am thinking we will be hustled out quickly and to the ship. This also prompted me to remember my FIL fought in WW2 around there but mainly Papua New Guinea so I might need to do some family history research.

12 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Why are you so rude and nasty?  I didn’t see one person on this thread say they are ignoring or disregarding rules.  Take it easy, man.  (Or did you just post this to tell everyone about all your fancy friends?) 

Speaking the truth is rude?  OK...let me change it around.  Hey folks -- pay no attention to those silly rules, just bring whatever you want and then plead with them at the airport if they get "rude and nasty".

I mention my "fancy friends" to back up my knowledge of aviation and airline issues and policies.

I guess that no one needs a reality check, so have fun folks,

• Thanks 1

To all.  I hope this post explains and clarifies.  We did not receive any notice of weight or dimension limits for our Ushuaia to BA flight after disembarkation.  We start in Valpo so charter is only at end.  After seeing posts on this thread saying that the notification is definitely on itinerary, etc, I looked again.  It is not.  I assure you, it is not.  That said, I had my TA inquire and she was informed of the limitations.  We are well within those limits, and that was before we knew of the limits.  That’’s because we pack smart.  Each trip teaches us to pack less for the next.  And having had the good fortune to have had many travels on puddle jumpers and private planes, we know the importance of weight limits on smaller aircraft.  I have not seen one post on this thread of anyone trying to bring more than what is allowed.  So those of you who are alarmed and excited, take it down a notch.  No need to post pics of lopsided planes at JFK.  

Edited by Hobar
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Thanks for this. I will try to look but I am thinking we will be hustled out quickly and to the ship. This also prompted me to remember my FIL fought in WW2 around there but mainly Papua New Guinea so I might need to do some family history research.

The Port Moresby War Cemetery, north of the city, is the resting place of over 3000 Commonwealth combatants.  If in the area, worth the visit.

4 hours ago, Hobar said:

So those of you who are alarmed and excited, take it down a notch.  No need to post pics of lopsided planes at JFK.

I was neither alarmed nor excited. I was sharing information I thought might be helpful about whether the luggage limits were strictly enforced.

As for the picture of the tilted JetBlue, I posted that simply because I thought it was very funny, and perfectly timed as we were discussing luggage weights on planes. (The tipped plane had nothing to do with luggage weight limits being exceeded.) I'm sorry if you took it as anything but a moment of comic relief. 

• Thanks 2

I understand the issue regarding weight of carry-on luggage, but I don’t understand the 45cm limit on maximum length of carry-ons.  I understand that JetSmart, the charter airline in question, flies A320s on the Seabourn flights to and from Ushuaia.  I travel frequently in Europe on EasyJet, which also operates a fleet of A319s/A320s, and my Eastpak carry-on (52cm) fits in the overhead compartments with plenty of room to spare.  As I doubt if A320s have differing sizes of overhead compartments, why the 45cm limit on carry-on luggage? I wish to take this bag to carry medication and other essentials in case my larger suitcase somehow doesn’t make it to Ushuaia!

Has anyone who has flown to Ushuaia with Seabourn successfully boarded with a ‘normal’ sized carry-on roller bag?

15 minutes ago, JMB56 said:

As I doubt if A320s have differing sizes of overhead compartments,

Incorrect.

There are a number of different interior configurations/equipment on the A320.  This includes seats as well as overhead bins.

Why would you expect all A320s to be the same?  Especially since they have been flying for 35 years - would you expect them to have the same interiors for that entire time?

So why the limit?  Because every airline, scheduled or charter, determines their own rules for onboard luggage.  And what Jetsmart has chosen is what is applicable for your flight.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hobar said:

To all.  I hope this post explains and clarifies.  We did not receive any notice of weight or dimension limits for our Ushuaia to BA flight after disembarkation.  We start in Valpo so charter is only at end.  After seeing posts on this thread saying that the notification is definitely on itinerary, etc, I looked again.  It is not.  I assure you, it is not.  That said, I had my TA inquire and she was informed of the limitations.  We are well within those limits, and that was before we knew of the limits.  That’’s because we pack smart.  Each trip teaches us to pack less for the next.  And having had the good fortune to have had many travels on puddle jumpers and private planes, we know the importance of weight limits on smaller aircraft.  I have not seen one post on this thread of anyone trying to bring more than what is allowed.  So those of you who are alarmed and excited, take it down a notch.  No need to post pics of lopsided planes at JFK.  

Thank you for the clarity.I don’t post on Cruise Critic frequently but appreciate facts and information, without emotion, and this post is just that.

10 hours ago, JMB56 said:

I understand the issue regarding weight of carry-on luggage, but I don’t understand the 45cm limit on maximum length of carry-ons.  I understand that JetSmart, the charter airline in question, flies A320s on the Seabourn flights to and from Ushuaia.  I travel frequently in Europe on EasyJet, which also operates a fleet of A319s/A320s, and my Eastpak carry-on (52cm) fits in the overhead compartments with plenty of room to spare.  As I doubt if A320s have differing sizes of overhead compartments, why the 45cm limit on carry-on luggage? I wish to take this bag to carry medication and other essentials in case my larger suitcase somehow doesn’t make it to Ushuaia!

Has anyone who has flown to Ushuaia with Seabourn successfully boarded with a ‘normal’ sized carry-on roller bag?

I hope you get an answer to your question from someone who has actually flown the SB chartered flight.

• Like 1