Golden Sails Long Beach recent reviews?

Sprocket

Booked a B2B not even thinking about the date I need to fly in.  Valentine's Day and I don't know if its too early but hotel prices in Long Beach are ranging from about $350  to over $700.  Even the Queen Mary is almost $300 CA.  Booked a refundable rate at Golden Sails, it has been recommended here just wondering if any one has any recent reviews.  TIA

I usually depend on the reviews on Google Maps.  I would suggest taking a look there.

Spring for something a little more upmarket, this is not the time to skimp.

there are plenty of corporate type hotels, like the  near the convention Center, such as Best Western or consider Hotel Metropolitan.

You may spend a little more, but you probably wont take away any friends to share your cruise, either

You need the hotel for before the cruise? I will assume you are flying into LAX from Canada? If so, I'd stay in Torrance or Redondo Beach, halfway between LAX and LB.

Torrance has a nice Marriott and a DoubleTree, Redondo has the Portofino Inn, Redondo Beach Hotel, Shade Hotel and the Sonesta RB.

• Like 2

I generally agree with Scott here.

I don't know which cruise line you are on, but, from your signature, it looks like you consistently cruise on Princess of late.  If so, you will be cruising out of San Pedro, not Long Beach.  The only real reason for you to stay in Long Beach is to enjoy the Convention Center area restaurants, shopping and attractions (Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific).  But, Long Beach is a big city, population of half a million, and spans a wide area.  The Golden Sails is nowhere near the tourist area of Long Beach--it's about six miles from Downtown Long Beach and 12 miles from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro--so, traveling from LAX, you'd be going an extra 12 miles in each direction past where you really need to be and getting almost nothing in return.

If Downtown Long Beach has something going on which has driven prices up...and if you don't want to be in the more convenient San Pedro (Crowne Plaza or Doubletree), then best to stay between LAX and San Pedro...and, as Scott noted, Torrance and Redondo are much better choices for you.  Redondo has a nice and scenic little area centered around King Harbor--though it might, soetimes, get a little pricey...and Torrance, specifically the area around the Del Amo Mall, has often very reasonable priced hotels in a very convenient location and near lots of shopping and restaurants.  Either will save you quite a bit over the Golden Sails in terms of transportation costs and travel time...and, dependong on your choices, put you in a nicer hotel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I generally agree with Scott here.

I don't know which cruise line you are on, but, from your signature, it looks like you consistently cruise on Princess of late.  If so, you will be cruising out of San Pedro, not Long Beach.  The only real reason for you to stay in Long Beach is to enjoy the Convention Center area restaurants, shopping and attractions (Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific).  But, Long Beach is a big city, population of half a million, and spans a wide area.  The Golden Sails is nowhere near the tourist area of Long Beach--it's about six miles from Downtown Long Beach and 12 miles from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro--so, traveling from LAX, you'd be going an extra 12 miles in each direction past where you really need to be and getting almost nothing in return.

If Downtown Long Beach has something going on which has driven prices up...and if you don't want to be in the more convenient San Pedro (Crowne Plaza or Doubletree), then best to stay between LAX and San Pedro...and, as Scott noted, Torrance and Redondo are much better choices for you.  Redondo has a nice and scenic little area centered around King Harbor--though it might, soetimes, get a little pricey...and Torrance, specifically the area around the Del Amo Mall, has often very reasonable priced hotels in a very convenient location and near lots of shopping and restaurants.  Either will save you quite a bit over the Golden Sails in terms of transportation costs and travel time...and, dependong on your choices, put you in a nicer hotel.

Just to clarify I am driving across the border and flying into Long Beach.  We have stayed at the Westin previously and love it there but unless their rate drops I can't justify what most hotels are charging for Valentine's Day.  One was over $700 US and our dollar keeps dropping ugh.

Crowne Plaza is starting to look a little better price wise so I will probably double book and watch the rates.  I may even look at using miles to fly Alaska Air into LAX and staying at an airport hotel and Ubering to San Pedro in the morning.

Thank you both for the replies gives me something to consider.

23 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Just to clarify I am driving across the border and flying into Long Beach.  We have stayed at the Westin previously and love it there but unless their rate drops I can't justify what most hotels are charging for Valentine's Day.  One was over $700 US and our dollar keeps dropping ugh.

Crowne Plaza is starting to look a little better price wise so I will probably double book and watch the rates.  I may even look at using miles to fly Alaska Air into LAX and staying at an airport hotel and Ubering to San Pedro in the morning.

Thank you both for the replies gives me something to consider.

Flying into LGB, the Golden Sails is still pretty much out of your way.  Another consideration might be staying at one of the hotels near LGB (maybe the Hampton, Homewood or Courtyard, all just north of LGB).  That area is really not all that exciting either, though there are a few places to eat.  You might find a decent hotel price and a free shuttle from LGB  airport...and then just the one 16 mile Uber ride to San Pedro the next morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Flying into LGB, the Golden Sails is still pretty much out of your way.  Another consideration might be staying at one of the hotels near LGB (maybe the Hampton, Homewood or Courtyard, all just north of LGB).  That area is really not all that exciting either, though there are a few places to eat.  You might find a decent hotel price and a free shuttle from LGB  airport...and then just the one 16 mile Uber ride to San Pedro the next morning.

Hampton     $437       all in Canadian $$

Marriott         593

Homewood   510

Courtyard     372

Westin          576

We're booked at the Westin for December rate is $152  so quite a difference.  Maybe its just too soon but I booked the Westin months ago.