Any news on the MDR upgrades?

Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Also I can still go on a P and O Ship and eat food in any restaurant and enjoy any entertainment  even if I book inside saver

Not being able to do that on Cunard has put me off their ships. Do other cruise lines have places inside savers can't go? 

Most lines have areas where only suite or spa level guests can go including their own restaurant, pool area, lounge area etc.

In my humble opinion Princess and P&O are becoming closer and closer as a product and have adopted what each other do to an extent eg the extra pay items in the MDR, drinks packages, Princess now charging to pick some cabin grades (previously free). Watch out for the next one being that mini suites have a separate area of the main dining room with their own tables and extra dishes on their menu. They charge more for the mini suites with this perk.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You surely don't believe that's what you'll be getting? It will come out played from the kitchen with exactly the same accompaniment as everything else.  There's one kitchen serving the dining room.  They aren't going to have a special chef standing there tools in hand to prepare Mr and Mrs ICF's dinner.

If Mr and Mrs ICF are the only people having upgrades in MDR the trial will have failed 

One single Chef on grill can easily cope with upto 80 fillet steak courses a night if demand is high if demand isn't high it won't happen of course

Isn't this good for people with OBC to spend by the way?

Provided the quality or choices on the MDR menus do not decrease, I would be happy to sometimes pay a supplement for something better and more expensive such as fillet steak. What is wrong with providing choice over and above the usual menu, as long as the usual menu is not affected? I would be very surprised if there are many cruisers who cannot afford to pay a supplement for a special treat every now and again. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Did you ever do economics ICF, if you did you will maybe remember the economies of scale, that is the reason that cruises are now cheaper, the ratio of passengers to crew is now much higher on the big ships than 5 to 10 years ago.

It's the same with most consumer goods, when you factor in inflation an early model 14 inch black and white TV was many times more expensive than todays 54 inch high definition smart colour TV.

I did a degree in accounting and finance and economics was one of the options I took. 

I see the big ships as an improvhonest the charger. I accept some don't. Even smaller ships I'm sure pricing is still comparatively better than in the past. 

I accept price isn't everything. If it was nobody would ever pay for outsides, balconies or suites of course.

But if the prices hadnt come down I and I have no doubt many others on here wouldn't be looking to cruise half as much as they currently do

Not all change is for the worse. Especially in cruising. Things get taken away. Cutbacks happen but price in general has never been better to cruise.

Look at Selbourne. He's cruised in penthouse suites and such like before.

He's now taking advantage of a brilliant price to enjoy a 65 day cruise for the first time. 

I'm personally looking at 35 days on Iona next January. Purely because the price is too good to be true for the holiday we will enjoy on a ship we really like and know

1800 ish each for 35 nights to the Caribbean and back?

I paid more than that for just 14 nights on azura in the Caribbean 10 years ago ish!!!

What I spent on tips back then - will pay for plenty of speciality meals now!

Let's be honest the charges for speciality meals aren't high compared to normal restaurant prices on land

I'm cashing in on these prices. 

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Provided the quality or choices on the MDR menus do not decrease, I would be happy to sometimes pay a supplement for something better and more expensive such as fillet steak. What is wrong with providing choice over and above the usual menu, as long as the usual menu is not affected? I would be very surprised if there are many cruisers who cannot afford to pay a supplement for a special treat every now and again. 

Let's not kid ourselves. If people can afford to cruise let alone afford to cruise in balcony cabins. And if people can afford to pay to choose seats on planes and to upgrade to premium economy. And if they can afford internet packages. And if they can afford airport transfers and cruise parking costs. They can certainly afford 8 pounds to upgrade to a fillet steak every so often. Should they fancy it.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

40 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

These areas are not food and drink places people are barred from. They are areas with dedicated facilities of all sorts including pools, health areas, sunbeds, terraces etc.  Yes there are bars in those areas but generally only one restaurant for those select passengers to dine in.  You need key access to the facilities but the restaurants are generally in the main areas of the ship.

I would be less concerned then. Cunard not being able to access the best dining put me off. Where I sit or lie not as important. As I know we can find spaces we like by being early risers

8 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I would be less concerned then. Cunard not being able to access the best dining put me off. Where I sit or lie not as important. As I know we can find spaces we like by being early risers

When you say the "best dining" you misunderstand the concept of the Grills. High end individual service where nothing is too much trouble or impossible is the ethos.

For example I have a Britannia Club cruise booked for September- a separate dining room again - for two £7100 Cunard fare (currently £8200 and rising). An inside on sale today normal Britannia is £1359 saver but the cheapest Grill suite is (no savers on Club or Grills) £12098 Princess or £20998 Queens.  No one is paying those high end prices just for the "best dining" I'm sure you'd agree.  Of course there are extra pay restaurants everyone from inside to top grade Queens Grill can pay for but the truth is all food grades are extremely high so unless it's a longish cruise most choose not to.  

I think you may have misunderstood the concept of these "no go" areas both on Cunard and the other lines.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

When you say the "best dining" you misunderstand the concept of the Grills. High end individual service where nothing is too much trouble or impossible is the ethos.

For example I have a Britannia Club cruise booked for September- a separate dining room again - for two £7100 Cunard fare (currently £8200 and rising). An inside on sale today normal Britannia is £1359 saver but the cheapest Grill suite is (no savers on Club or Grills) £12098 Princess or £20998 Queens.  No one is paying those high end prices just for the "best dining" I'm sure you'd agree.  Of course there are extra pay restaurants everyone from inside to top grade Queens Grill can pay for but the truth is all food grades are extremely high so unless it's a longish cruise most choose not to.  

I think you may have misunderstood the concept of these "no go" areas both on Cunard and the other lines.

Ok I'm trying to follow this and understand it properly.

1) I get it that I could pay speciality dining on Cunard each night. But might not want to as MDR is very high end even for inside cabins?

2)I can't go in Queens Grill

3)Is there a speciality dining restaurant thats better than Queens Grill MDR. Or is Queens Grill the best restaurant on the ship?

(Ie the same way it's accepted Epicurean is the best restaurant on P and O. Is there somewhere better than Queens Grill where everybody can go and pays extra for?)

And if so what's it called and how much is the cost to go in there. Is It the same upgrade cost for inside cabins as it would be if I was staying in a cabin that qualified for Queens Grill?

Is queens grill tables for 2 or shared tables?

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

An inside on sale today normal Britannia is £1359 saver but the cheapest Grill suite is (no savers on Club or Grills) £12098 Princess or £20998 Queens.  No one is paying those high end prices just for the "best dining" I'm sure you'd agree.  

Are these prices per cabin or per person MB?

How many nights is this cruise for and what part of the world?

I'm genuinely trying to comprehend what else the passengers are getting to justify these huge gulfs in price on the very same cruise ship? 

(Unless I've misunderstood above)

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Ok I'm trying to follow this and understand it properly.

1) I get it that I could pay speciality dining on Cunard each night. But might not want to as MDR is very high end even for inside cabins?

2)I can't go in Queens Grill

3)Is there a speciality dining restaurant thats better than Queens Grill MDR. Or is Queens Grill the best restaurant on the ship?

(Ie the same way it's accepted Epicurean is the best restaurant on P and O. Is there somewhere better than Queens Grill where everybody can go and pays extra for?)

And if so what's it called and how much is the cost to go in there. Is It the same upgrade cost for inside cabins as it would be if I was staying in a cabin that qualified for Queens Grill?

Is queens grill tables for 2 or shared tables?

1. On the current Queens one speciality restaurant at cost, plus extra pay for themed section of the buffet which becomes a separate restaurant at night. Britannia restaurant is high quality, much better than other cruise lines imo but not you call very high end.  I'd say every bit as good as Epicurean but it's a matter of taste.

2. No only Queens Grill guests in their restaurant, same with Princess and Club.

3. Nothing better than Queens Grill. You can order off menu, if you want caviar, lobster, fillet steak every night you can ask for it.

You are allocated your own dedicated table however somecare shared. You choose when to come.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Per cabin. 14 nights Mediterranean on Queen Anne.

So it's possible to be on the same cruise as another couple with Cunard for just 14 nights in the Mediterranean and spend almost 11k less than a Princess cabin and almost 19k less on a Queens cabin?

That's approx 800 pounds more per night in a Princess Cabin and 1300 pounds more per night in a Queens Cabin

It's incomprehensible what they can be given each day that justify the cost?

Do they have private chauffeurs taking them for a Private audience with the Pope and Monaco Royalty for lunch included each day?

Clearly the cabins must be palatial? 

I get that.

I did a degree in accounting and finance and economics was one of the options I took. 

I see the big ships as an improvhonest the charger. I accept some don't. Even smaller ships I'm sure pricing is still comparatively better than in the past. 

I accept price isn't everything. If it was nobody would ever pay for outsides, balconies or suites of course.

But if the prices hadnt come down I and I have no doubt many others on here wouldn't be looking to cruise half as much as they currently do

Not all change is for the worse. Especially in cruising. Things get taken away. Cutbacks happen but price in general has never been better to cruise.

Look at Selbourne. He's cruised in penthouse suites and such like before.

He's now taking advantage of a brilliant price to enjoy a 65 day cruise for the first time. 

I'm personally looking at 35 days on Iona next January. Purely because the price is too good to be true for the holiday we will enjoy on a ship we really like and know

1800 ish each for 35 nights to the Caribbean and back?

I paid more than that for just 14 nights on azura in the Caribbean 10 years ago ish!!!

What I spent on tips back then - will pay for plenty of speciality meals now!

Let's be honest the charges for speciality meals aren't high compared to normal restaurant prices on land

I'm cashing in on these prices. 

I continue to be impressed by your responses to most posts, which rarely relate to the points being raised, it's quite an achievement, even if somewhat irritating.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Who do you cruise with where you can get better return for your spend Britboys? Or are you spending more with them for bigger return?

And I do also understand what you are saying. 

Cruising has become cheaper overall however it depends on the ship and type of cabin you want as to exactly how much cheaper. 

In general in the world though restaurants who offer set menus at set prices do always have surcharges for more expensive options and extra sides as well

And generally they do it because of demand for that option

"Better return for your spend" is an interesting question and of course can be quite different from 'value for money'. My own situation is that I regularly travel solo which does affect the question too.

I guess for me, I look at the overall cruise experience and what that gives me. More recently, whilst I don't have any real complaints about my last two cruises they just haven't given me the "I don't want to get off and go home" feeling at the end of the cruises that I always used to get pre-Covid. The mdr menus are certainly a big part of that but I do recognise some of this is down to my own tastes. There has been a number of nights when there really wasn't a single starter I wanted. There were also a number of occasions when I had to resort to the steak because there were no other main courses that suited me.

Taking off the obc I had for my last cruise, I paid around £2k for 12 nights in a mid-range standard outside cabin. For me, paying that sort of money, I don't expect to struggle on several nights finding food that suits me.

An additional factor is that having been lucky enough to have cruised for over 20 years, the itineraries on offer just don't inspire me. I only wish to cruise aboard the 2 smallest ships and they are heavy on 18/19 night itineraries, mostly calling at the same old ports (okay, the odd different one thrown in now and again).

I used to get excited at the new brochure launches but now I tend to think 'oh, it will be more of the same'.

So, taking that all into account, whilst there's a lot of good about a P&O cruise, they don't at present provide me with a great return for my spend. I've pretty much accepted that I'm going to have to spend more to get a holiday that does give me a better return. I have looked at Cunard but their itineraries are as dull and repetitive as P&O. For next summer I have booked a european river cruise. It is costing more for 7 nights than my 12 night cruise on Aurora this August, although it does include all excursions, drinks with lunch and all-inclusive drinks from 6pm. Being a river-boat only taking about 160 pax, I am hoping standards are going to be generally higher than those on P&O now. Only time will tell but I am already looking forward to it more than I have my last two P&O cruises.

Sorry to be long-winded but hopefully I've been able to explain my thoughts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes I'm expecting fillet steak grilled to my liking or I'm not ordering it. That's what I get in Epicurean and Limelight. And that's what I'm expecting based on the description of the dish I read. If not I won't buy and if they cant sell fillet steak to me in MDR then they will struggle to sell to anyone. And the trial will fail. I will pay for quality. Not just over cooked or slow cooked steak.

Would pay upto 8 or 9 pounds supplement for a nicely cooked fillet in MDR

The ones I've had in Epicurean and Limelight have been delicious. So no reason YET to doubt them in MDR. 

I hope I get the chance to try

Ps I'm sure the one I read described the whole meal and accompaniments and didn't just say fillet steak?

It sounded very similar to what you get in Epicurean or Limelight. And ive said long before this trial was discussed that the last fillet steak main I had in Limelight (on Arvia) was amazing

Guess who said this:

"Certainly not expecting to be able to enjoy fillet steak cooked to order in MDR. Nobody can be surely". 

I assume unless you pay was the add on!

29 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Guess who said this:

"Certainly not expecting to be able to enjoy fillet steak cooked to order in MDR. Nobody can be surely". 

I assume unless you pay was the add on!

Yes that was my exact point

Nobody expects to get that as standard in MDR

So they aren't losing  anything if it's offered as a surcharge option

It's only if you are asked to pay  something you expect as standard MDR as a result of this that something will have been lost

Right now in the trial it's purely an option to add something you wouldnt normally have the chance to do in MDR

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I continue to be impressed by your responses to most posts, which rarely relate to the points being raised, it's quite an achievement, even if somewhat irritating.

I read this too quickly at first and thought you were being complimentary to me John! Lol

And added a thank you emoji.

Now I've read it slowly I realise you weren't. But I've left the thank you regardless. The first few words were good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Let's face it ICF most cruisers do not want to pay extra for something that they feel they have already paid for. For those that do, then in my view there are  now enough speciality restaurants that offer a range of price points in a different setting.

I would be interested to know how popular these extra charge MDR offers are on the other lines that now offer them, and whether sailings from Southampton have the same level of interest as those in America.

But in the main I think most posters want the overal quality and choice improved, but not the price.

Very well said

20 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Very well said

"But in the main I think most posters want the overal quality and choice improved, but not the price"

I'm sure they do

In the main I would want to pay the same for my food and fuel and rates and council tax at home as I did 10 years ago

I would like current House prices to be what they were 10 years ago as well

Thank God we no longer have a mortgage

I would like fish, chips and mushy peas to still give me change for a fiver

I would like world peace

I will just have to settle for 35 nights on Iona for 1800 ish per person to the Caribbean and back in 2023 with no tips expected 

And keep my fingers crossed I can add fillet steak to MDR meals for 8 pounds as well when I'm on it

If not I will still find great food to eat all day every day and smile and be happy and count my blessings to have the opportunity

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Where in the above though Bill do you account for the fact the cost of cruising is way more affordable now compared to the past. Especially on P and O?

I do not wish to account or comment on the cost of cruising being more affordable. This topic has been covered ad nauseam and nothing new is ever added, it hijacks many threads. You ICF seem to delight in winding people up IMHO.

I merely commented on your MDR upgrade thread and stated that some people do not want or need the MDR menu to be hijacked by adding chargeable options at the detriment of non chargeable options, as stated I have nothing against people paying for extras but in the many select restaurants.

Maybe a hands off the MDR menu thread should be started? Of course other opinions are available.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

My concern as well.

The MDR's have been dumbed to an extent already.

What I can see happening is that decent upsells may well be tried in the MDR.  Fillet steak has been suggested.  Maybe other things like lobster (didn't see that once on a recent 30 night cruise), beef Wellington, scallops etc.  So far so good.

Trial is a success, for 99% of customers, so is rolled out across the fleet.  Great.

Then after six months or so, the included MDR menu changes.....  no more sirloin steak every day, no more game dishes etc.  And, the upsell/upgrade option change... you guessed it... prawn cocktail and sirloin steak.  No more fillet steak, no more beef Wellington or scallops.

Inlcuded MDR meals are in danger of being dumbed down to burger and chips, chicken nuggets.

And 99% of passengers will be happy with this, with the other 99% being happy to pay an upgrade for what was previously included.  Followed by 99% of passengers taking their custom elsewhere.

Rant over...taking a breath and going to sit in a dark room for while.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

I merely commented on your MDR upgrade thread and stated that some people do not want or need the MDR menu to be hijacked by adding chargeable options at the detriment of non chargeable options, as stated I have nothing against people paying for extras but in the many select restaurants.

Why does it have to be at the detriment of non chargeable options?

Fillet steak is NOT a non chargeable option on P and O standard MDR menus?

Nobody loses anything. Some gain?

What's wrong with that?