Villa Vie Residences

Host Jazzbeau

As you know things were built to last in the 1960's and Marco Polo was an ocean liner- not a cruise ship with a flat hull.  So yes- it is possible for ships to last longer but the 1980's and 1980's didn't turn out very good vehicles in general.  

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

For those condemning this ship for being 30 years old, remember the MS Marco Polo, which was 55 years old at the time it stopped service, and it made worldwide cruises for decades, after turning 30.  Fair enough, there were several very costly dry dockings and upgrades over the years, but that just goes to show that an older ship, if well maintained (at a cost) is just as seaworthy as a new one.

The Marco Polo was also completely rebuild, internally and externally, including a complete reconditioning of the engines. It took over 2 years (1991-1993). They basically extended the ships life that way.

Can't compare that to a couple of hacks who think a 4-week  drydock is enough to resurrect an aging ship which was laid up for 4 years. 

Edited by Travel_Around_The_World

2020 was a really bad year for cruise ships.  Braemar was in the Caribbean in March of 2020 and there was a Covid outbreak onboard (and everyone was freaking out back then about Covid).  No island would allow the passengers to dock- except Cuba.  The ship made haste to the UK and docked in Rosyth.  I believe the ship sat there in limbo for a couple years.  They did advertise sailings in 2023 but then decided against it (probably owing the condition of the ship). Then they put it up for sale.  Fred Olsen didn't certify the ship - but Mike chose to buy it anyway.  I think he needed a ship to give him credibility- since Life At Sea became a laughing stock.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

45 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

As you know things were built to last in the 1960's and Marco Polo was an ocean liner- not a cruise ship with a flat hull. 

I'm sorry, but this is a very common misconception of non-marine types about "ocean liners".  The QM2, arguably the last "ocean liner", has just as flat a bottom as the Oasis of the Seas.  All ships built in the last century, at least, have had flat bottoms.  The major difference with a ship that is an "ocean liner", is that the entry (that is the taper from the bow to the full width part of the ship) is longer on a "liner" than today's cruise ships.  And, just like the SS United States, the Marco Polo has thicker steel than today's ships, but that steel is not as strong as the steel of today, which is why they had to use more (thicker).

26 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

The Marco Polo was also completely rebuild, internally and externally, including a complete reconditioning of the engines. It took over 2 years (1991-1993). They basically extended the ships life that way.

26 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Can't compare that to a couple of hacks who think a 4-week  drydock is enough to resurrect an aging ship which was laid up for 4 years.

That is my point exactly, if you are willing to spend enough money, and time, an older ship, even the Odyssey, could be just as good as a new one.  As for being in layup for 4 years, it depends on how the ship was laid up as to how much deterioration happens.

14 minutes ago, Papadog said:

Why did Fred Olsen  not take care of Braemar?.....and literally let it rot for 4  years ..... It just don't make sense.

They were looking to sell her when they laid her up, so they didn't want to continue with expenses.  During Fred Olsen's ownership, the ship had a major refit, including the lengthening, so while she was working, she was maintained.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm sorry, but this is a very common misconception of non-marine types about "ocean liners".  The QM2, arguably the last "ocean liner", has just as flat a bottom as the Oasis of the Seas.  All ships built in the last century, at least, have had flat bottoms.  The major difference with a ship that is an "ocean liner", is that the entry (that is the taper from the bow to the full width part of the ship) is longer on a "liner" than today's cruise ships.  And, just like the SS United States, the Marco Polo has thicker steel than today's ships, but that steel is not as strong as the steel of today, which is why they had to use more (thicker).

That is my point exactly, if you are willing to spend enough money, and time, an older ship, even the Odyssey, could be just as good as a new one.  As for being in layup for 4 years, it depends on how the ship was laid up as to how much deterioration happens.

They were looking to sell her when they laid her up, so they didn't want to continue with expenses.  During Fred Olsen's ownership, the ship had a major refit, including the lengthening, so while she was working, she was maintained.

3 hours ago, Z0nker said:

Indeed, Carnival Sunshine has been in service for 28 years. They have a couple 26 year old Fantasy class ships in the fleet as well. Some Oceania ships date back that far, too.

Seaworthy and comfortable/ reliable are two completely different things. Oil tankers are seaworthy. This ship is described as offering "luxury" and a look at the accommodations dispels that immediately. 

42 minutes ago, Charry_ said:

Seaworthy and comfortable/ reliable are two completely different things.

Actually, "seaworthy" and "reliable" are the same thing.  Whether Odyssey provides a "comfortable" accommodation compared to other ships of its age is a different thing, and any ship other than a purpose built residence ship like the World would provide a "luxury" experience for long time residency would most likely not happen.  I've spent 46 years at sea on ships, and I would not want to spend the rest of my life in a cruise ship cabin.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, "seaworthy" and "reliable" are the same thing.  Whether Odyssey provides a "comfortable" accommodation compared to other ships of its age is a different thing, and any ship other than a purpose built residence ship like the World would provide a "luxury" experience for long time residency would most likely not happen.  I've spent 46 years at sea on ships, and I would not want to spend the rest of my life in a cruise ship cabin.

You are just arguing for the sake of it, you know exactly what I mean when I say reliable- an older ship will be more prone to problems and less capable to handle rough sea conditions comfortably for passengers than a newer ship. It will also likely require more maintenance to keep it functional. You are missing the point. 

2 minutes ago, Charry_ said:

an older ship will be more prone to problems

Why is this?  Do you know something about maintenance of ship's systems that I don't know?  Ship's equipment is overhauled every 5 years, as required by the class societies, so the equipment is realistically no more than 5 years old at any time.

5 minutes ago, Charry_ said:

less capable to handle rough sea conditions comfortably for passengers than a newer ship.

What does a ship's age have to do with seakeeping qualities, which are built into the ship when it is designed.

Not missing the point at all.  If the Villa Vie management had had any knowledge of ship maintenance, they would have known they would have to spend a lot of money to get the ship back into service, but if they had done so, and provided a realistic timeline and a realistic business model to cover the expense, this ship would be just as "seaworthy" and "reliable" as any ship.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TwoBadKnees said:

Clicking on "Traffic Expected', does this mean Saturday departure 8am for sea trials? I guess job type SHFT means it is 'shifting' location and expected back relatively soon?

https://booking.belfast-harbour.co.uk/

The prior sea trials track showed tight turns (loops) to starboard, but big turns (loops) to port. I forgot to check the speed when making those turns so I don't know if the big turns were due to higher speeds.

Had a look this morning and Odyssey is still in port, sea trials moved out (again🤔) to next Saturday, September 21st.

I'll admit to being far out of the loop when it comes to social media, but a couple of things kind of bother me related to VVR.

1) What's up with the newly released series of videos on YouTube from an outfit "Countyoffice.org"? It seems like it must be a paid PR effort to add legitimacy by using a company claiming to be a "guide to local government records and public services". It also seems like odd AI generated hogwash.

2) Jenny Phenix. She got wronged! I didn't see the complaints, because she did them in private on a WhatsApp text circle. She seems like the victim here. Who doesn't look good?  Everybody involved:  the management, the community members who appear to have a weird reality show Survivor thing going on, and the bloggers and Facebook posters getting defensive when asked about the situation.

Even if this thing sails next week, it's not quite the joyous utopia that they've been selling.

34 minutes ago, walkingsoon said:

I'll admit to being far out of the loop when it comes to social media, but a couple of things kind of bother me related to VVR.

1) What's up with the newly released series of videos on YouTube from an outfit "Countyoffice.org"? It seems like it must be a paid PR effort to add legitimacy by using a company claiming to be a "guide to local government records and public services". It also seems like odd AI generated hogwash.

2) Jenny Phenix. She got wronged! I didn't see the complaints, because she did them in private on a WhatsApp text circle. She seems like the victim here. Who doesn't look good?  Everybody involved:  the management, the community members who appear to have a weird reality show Survivor thing going on, and the bloggers and Facebook posters getting defensive when asked about the situation.

Even if this thing sails next week, it's not quite the joyous utopia that they've been selling.

You can just imagine the nastiness that will develop  between groups over time. Sadly, time and time again history has proven that people can't live in some utopian world where everyone loves each other -and  certainly not within the close confines of a cruise ship! The crazy thing is, these people aren't even residing together yet and they are already complaining  and having someone thrown off!  So once sailing ( if it gets there) and the initial bloom goes off the rose as the reality sets in of being constantly in the company of other residents, the nastiness will begin. The whole " hi friends" artificial sugary sweetness will dissolve into bitchiness, cliques, and class wars. 

1 hour ago, Charry_ said:

You can just imagine the nastiness that will develop  between groups over time. Sadly, time and time again history has proven that people can't live in some utopian world where everyone loves each other -and  certainly not within the close confines of a cruise ship! The crazy thing is, these people aren't even residing together yet and they are already complaining  and having someone thrown off!  So once sailing ( if it gets there) and the initial bloom goes off the rose as the reality sets in of being constantly in the company of other residents, the nastiness will begin. The whole " hi friends" artificial sugary sweetness will dissolve into bitchiness, cliques, and class wars. 

Actually, I spent years living in close quarters with guys just out of high school. We got along just fine. We had to.

As an introvert, I would probably fit quietly along with this type of setup and deal with the shortcomings better than many, preferring the residential feel to the commercial lines' temporary vacation vibe.  I could, but I won't be biting onto this specific offering.

I also suspect that we're only hearing from a small percentage: the bloggers, vloggers and other showboats. There are probably a large silent majority waiting to board who are normal.

Again, it's that social media thing. Less is better than more. If one really paid too much attention to Cruise Critic, they'd start to think that cruising really sucks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, walkingsoon said:

Yes- that weird coutyoffice.org thing that's occurring out of no where.  Also a couple of suspicious posters (beastly, micheleparadis).  When I specifically asked them if they were Mike or Kathy- they suddenly stopped posting.  That's creepy that the CEO and COO would post things and attack anyone who spoke negatively.  This appears to be their MO.  Instead of providing the quality product that they advertise- they spend their days attacking people who see through their bs.

19 minutes ago, rebeccalouiseagain said:

Yes- that weird coutyoffice.org thing that's occurring out of no where.  Also a couple of suspicious posters (beastly, micheleparadis).  When I specifically asked them if they were Mike or Kathy- they suddenly stopped posting.  That's creepy that the CEO and COO would post things and attack anyone who spoke negatively.  This appears to be their MO.  Instead of providing the quality product that they advertise- they spend their days attacking people who see through their bs.

Oh I didn't see those posts from beastly and the other one,  have they been removed? 

2 hours ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Dang, there is a super long post under this video. Long but I couldn't have said it better. Wonder how long it will stay up.

I read it and I did think it was you LOL.  Same type of name.  Angela and Steve don't delete comments, which I appreciate.  They are pretty cool people and I'd love to sail with them sometime- just not on VVO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Travel_Around_The_World said:

Soooo....VVR put a new ship page up which includes increased pricing and the ship definitely does not look like this. 🤣

https://villavieresidences.com/odyssey/?fbclid=IwY2xjawFUR2NleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHcvdmqiKjqCWYjy8qKdYC6HeKFqoGWRKCJe41-tmzx9TjZlaNX3JpY6IGA_aem_W9VwMzhknJL2Uox8lfRqsg

VVR Odyssey.jpg

I just don't get the difference in monthly fees depending on what cabin you have. Sure, buying a bigger cabin or one with a balcony/ window logically costs more, but why the higher monthly fee if you have a window versus an inside cabin? The differences are quite large. Does anyone have a clue? 

1 hour ago, Charry_ said:

I just don't get the difference in monthly fees depending on what cabin you have. Sure, buying a bigger cabin or one with a balcony/ window logically costs more, but why the higher monthly fee if you have a window versus an inside cabin? The differences are quite large. Does anyone have a clue? 

Window cleaning service? 🤣

It is the same with the fees per person at double occupancy and solo occupancy. 
It should be per room. In a condo building your fees are by condo not how many people live in the condo. 😆

Edited by Travel_Around_The_World