Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Day 11 - Tuesday 7th November (Cadiz)

I start todays update with some great news about the creaking in our cabin, which had started again as soon as we left the Canaries and the sea state worsened. The deck manager had asked a maintenance chap to come and look and he hooked out my various bits of folded paper that I had used to attempt to muffle it, listened to the noise, agreed that the problem areas were exactly where I’d traced them, wedged a screw driver in each spot to prize it open slightly and squeezed in some black felt pads. He then sprayed copious quantities of WD40 into all the cracks and, lo and behold, it’s pretty much solved the problem. Whether or not it will last only time will tell, but we had the best nights sleep of the cruise so far!

We had been due to do an accessible transfer to Seville today, somewhere that we’ve not been before. A few days before we received a notification to say that the type of vehicle had changed (no longer an accessible minibus with a few others, but a full size coach with a wheelchair lift) and we had to arrive 30 mins before departure to allow for loading (apparently the wheelchair has to go on first). My wife was already a bit anxious about the length of the trip (need for loos etc) so these two things were the icing on the cake and she said that she didn’t want to go. The excursions team said that she couldn’t have a refund as they had secured a specific coach and she was the only wheelchair user out of 71 passengers (must have been 2 coaches?). Ok fair enough. I said that I would still go on my own and asked what time it was leaving, and was told 9am, but best to be quayside at around 8.45am. I duly arrived at 8.40am to be told that the tour left 5 minutes earlier! They offered me an alternative tour somewhere else but I explained that I had only wanted to go to Seville. I said that whilst it was their mistake, as long as they gave me a refund I would stay in Cadiz with my wife. The manager said they would refund me, but something tells me that I might have to pursue this when I get home. I hope that I’m wrong. 

Much to my wife’s surprise I returned to the cabin whilst she was still showering and by the time she was ready we only had one option for breakfast, a place that we avoid like the plague - the buffet. No matter, it was approaching 10am and we were in port so it would be quiet. WRONG! We did a complete circuit of both sides before I found a vacant table. It was a 6 seater but there were no others, so finders keepers! It was near a drink station so I got the teas and then set off for food. I walked back to the food stations and a waiter was pulling a barrier across saying that it was closed. “Where do I go?”, “Starboard side forward sir”. Right, off I go to the other end of the buffet and then of course I’d forgotten that, in their infinite wisdom, P&O have done away with trays. This is a pain for most people but a ruddy nightmare when you have a disabled partner (or young children for that matter) and have to sort out food for more than one person. 

I decided that if I was going to all this trouble I’d get a cooked breakfast. Pros and cons here. I tried (and really liked) the lamb kofta sausages (that you can’t get in the MDR) but the fried eggs had been under the heat lamp for too long and the yolks had gone hard and crusty. I couldn’t find brown sauce so asked a waiter. He pointed me to where I had already looked. There wasn’t any. He then disappeared to look for some. Meantime I found two manky looking bottles elsewhere but they were both empty. I resorted to asking an officer and he went off and found me some. 

The next challenge was that I couldn’t find any butter, but by this time the food was going tepid so I gave up and found my way back to the table, mumbling to my wife that I just could not be bothered with all this faff every day. A waiter walked past and I asked him where the butter was. He started to explain and I just said “you couldn’t do me a great favour and get some for me please before my food goes cold”? Off he went and retuned with a yellow tub of butter chunks. Good man. Well, that’s what I thought, until we had used the first two cubes - when I noticed that this butter had been put into a dirty tub that had dark food waste in it 🤢 Photo attached for evidence! I fully admire those of you who rave about the buffet, but it just doesn’t work for us on so many levels!

As my trip to Seville was off, I decided that I’d like to watch the Kings Speech and then go into town after lunch, which we did. Iona was in port and had nabbed the berth that enables you to just walk straight off the ship into town. As a result, we were a bit further out and had to use port shuttles but, in fairness, the service was excellent. Very frequent and most busses were accessible.  

We had a great walk around Cadiz in glorious sunshine and Azure blue skies. It’s definitely in our top 10 ports. Lovely architecture, beautiful parks and gardens, a lovely promenade, atmospheric old town and no naff areas. Also, the port authority should be commended for having the fastest moving security screening that we’ve ever been through, as we discovered when we rejoined the ship. 

When we got back to our cabin Kasper, our extremely efficient and personable deck manager, visited to see how the creaking had been. I was delighted to report that the WD40 and pads had done the trick! He was still unhappy that we had declined his offer of a complimentary meal. He offered us another Epicurean, Sindhu or Beach House meal, but we explained that we like the MDR and already have one more Epicurean booking pre-paid. He was most insistent, so we settled on a lunch in the Glasshouse on our penultimate sea day. I really must commend Kasper and the maintenance team. They have really excelled in alleviating this problem for us, and we are most grateful. I do feel that this is an area in which P&O excel. 

We decided to use our Sail-away vouchers for a complimentary Champagne in the Glasshouse. That went down a bit quickly so I followed it with a large Jam Shed Shiraz, having fallen for Ollie Smith’s sales pitch! 

Dinner in the MDR was excellent as usual. Our assistant waiter was back from his sick bed, but wearing a mask. Makes me a bit nervous, but we really like him and we are nearly at the end of the cruise if we catch anything off him 🤞

My wife didn’t fancy the postponed Headliners show (Centre Stage) so after dropping her off at the cabin I decided to go alone. I’m embarrassed to say that the fatal combination of a big meal, a few glasses of wine and a warm theatre conspired to ensure that I nodded through most of the first half of the show. This was a shame as the second half (which I managed to watch) was very good. From our experience, the quality of Headliners troupes varies considerably from very good to poor. Based on what I’ve seen, this lot are in the very good category. Tomorrow Lisbon. 

IMG_0903.jpeg

Yuk!!!, that looks disgusting, you really are an unlucky fellow when it comes to buffet dining.  But I suppose since we regularly use the  buffet, I quickly get to know the layout, so I know where to find things. Conversely I never enjoy the MDR for breakfast, the food seems tepid compared to the hot food in the buffet, and I always seem to under order,  which of course with self serve never happens. But I would like P&O to have waiters serving coffee and juice at the tables like Princess do  those drink stations are often a nightmare.

I also really enjoy the Jam Shed red wines, although I confess that I don't think I would be able to differentiate them on a blind test.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Really enjoying your posts Selbourne. Hope you are having a lovely time in Lisbon today. 

Sorry to hear you missed your excursion! Do they still deliver the excursion tickets to your cabin or has that changed now?

The butter dish is unacceptable. There is no excuse for that at all. 

Yes they do still deliver excursion tickets. It said 9am. The confusion arose because we’d been asked by separate letter to arrive at 8.30am due to my wife in her wheelchair needing to be loaded first, but when I cancelled her booking and was travelling alone they told me I didn’t need to do that and 8.45 would be sufficient for the 9am departure. That was incorrect. I’m not overly worried as we had a nice time in Cadiz, but I’ll be miffed if I have to chase the refund. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yuk!!!, that looks disgusting, you really are an unlucky fellow when it comes to buffet dining.  But I suppose since we regularly use the  buffet, I quickly get to know the layout, so I know where to find things. Conversely I never enjoy the MDR for breakfast, the food seems tepid compared to the hot food in the buffet, and I always seem to under order,  which of course with self serve never happens. But I would like P&O to have waiters serving coffee and juice at the tables like Princess do  those drink stations are often a nightmare.

I also really enjoy the Jam Shed red wines, although I confess that I don't think I would be able to differentiate them on a blind test.

I’m sure that knowledge of what is where makes life much easier John, but it’s just not how I want to start the day. The lack of trays also makes it unnecessarily difficult. Our MDR breakfasts have been great in comparison and far more relaxing. Hot food has all been hot and fresh looking. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, sandancer said:

We had to cancel 2 tours on the Azura as they were unsuitable for the wheelchair (no wheelchair when I booked them) and the refund was back on my card within 24 hours.  

We cancelled a Sindhu booking and the refund was the next day. I have not received the excursion refund yet 🤔  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m sure that knowledge of what is where makes life much easier John, but it’s just not how I want to start the day. The lack of trays also makes it unnecessarily difficult. Our MDR breakfasts have been great in comparison and far more relaxing. Hot food has all been hot and fresh looking. 

We always use MDR for breakfast, it is much quieter and more relaxing we think. Also, because I can’t carry my own food and use the wheelchair/scooter at the same time my hubby is up and down all the time so we end up eating nearly alone to stop food going cold.

Michelle

• Like 11

Just been catching up Selbourne.

Re Lanzarote, I wonder if you docked in a different place to us. We went in 2015 and went on the Fire Mountain excursion which we really enjoyed then had a walk round the port area and we had a nice marina bit to look round. I want to go again because I want to do the Manrique tour. 

We enjoyed Eric and Ern on Britannia but the setting was more intimate in the Limelight and we’d had a good meal first. Also we were right at the front and John got picked on a bit 🤣

That butter dish is 🤢 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

We always use MDR for breakfast, it is much quieter and more relaxing we think. Also, because I can’t carry my own food and use the wheelchair/scooter at the same time my hubby is up and down all the time so we end up eating nearly alone to stop food going cold.

Michelle

I had the same problem when we were on Britannia in September due to lack of trays and Mum in her wheelchair. I sometimes also have dexterity problems in one hand so can only really carry one plate at a time, therefore I was back and forth like a yoyo, getting food and then drinks. Removal of the trays may reduce food waste? 😕but it causes a lot more congestion!

• Like 3

That dish with the butter in is absolutely unacceptable.

Many people love the buffet for breakfast and, from my one and only visit the other morning, I do agree that there are more items available in there than in the MDRs; but that, for me, is the only positive thing about it. We don't like visiting there at the best of times, and it is even more awkward with no trays available, but trying to get breakfast in there with my wife would be an absolute nightmare. 

We will stick with our leisurely and, almost always, trouble-free breakfasts in the MDRs

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Last night and tonight’s MDR menus

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

If, as has happened on a few nights, our menu mirrors yours tonight, I am really glad we are in the Epicurean rather than Opal. As a pescatarian, I always look for the fish dish, and I like sea bream; but it has, what our lass calls, prostitute ham with it, so that would be a definite no-no. None of the veggie dishes appeal to me either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandancer said:

Exactly my experience on the Azura. No trays. On the bright side I was so worn out with going up and down that I didn’t eat much myself so my “cruise weight gain” was considerably less than usual. 

Do you think this is what P&O meant by reducing food waste?🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TigerB said:

That dish with the butter in is absolutely unacceptable.

Many people love the buffet for breakfast and, from my one and only visit the other morning, I do agree that there are more items available in there than in the MDRs; but that, for me, is the only positive thing about it. We don't like visiting there at the best of times, and it is even more awkward with no trays available, but trying to get breakfast in there with my wife would be an absolute nightmare. 

We will stick with our leisurely and, almost always, trouble-free breakfasts in the MDRs

I guess if the service in the MDR at breakfast equalled the service we used to get on Celebrity, then I might change my mind.

However on our recent very occasional visits on P&O we have been plonked on a table for 2, and ignored by the wait staff until we attracted their attention, then had to wait for the table to be reset, then further waits for bits and pieces to arrive. Resulting in us feeling over stressed, whereas we always feel fully relaxed after a buffet breakfast, despite it often being very busy.

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

What has happened to the "helpers" that used to be in buffet for those unable to carry their food back to the table easily?

Maybe that’s who I found and rather helpfully fetched me butter in a dirty tub? 🤢😂

• Haha 1

@jeanlyon Jean, can you remember when you were on Aurora recently what the latest time was that you could enter the MDR for breakfast?

On Ventura and Iona it’s been 9.30am on port days and 10am on sea days. On Britannia it was 10am on the first sea day but then, for reasons that were unclear, it reverted to the ‘old’ closing times of 9am on port days and 9.30am on sea days which we find is a rush. Thanks. 

44 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Last night and tonight’s MDR menus

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

Interesting all this chat about repetitive menus and the menus being generic across the fleet.

When we were on Aurora in September we didn't get French onion soup once, and we were on for 30 days.  I really enjoy P&O's French onion soup.  I used to look at the menus posted outside the MDR every day, and just don't recall seeing that on the menu for the whole cruise.

Raspberry sorbet however, several times, as well as ginger sorbet.  Can't get enough of those two sorbets!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

What has happened to the "helpers" that used to be in buffet for those unable to carry their food back to the table easily?

They are few and far between. My mother and I were offered help, but my mother needed to check the ingredients in an item and while we were talking to the server behind the counter about her  allergy he disappeared!

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sorry to hear that you trip to Seville didn't pan out.  Pretty poor show that they departed early without everyone on board.  Hopefully you refund will be paid as promptly as the coach departed.

As for that pot of butter.....simply disgraceful.

The chap said that a few other people “hadn’t turned up as well”. You’d think that might have been a clue 😂 

• Like 2

Having abandoned P&O after a post covid trip on Ventura which left a lot to be desired with poor quality & choice of Food together with very average service I have enjoyed 4 Saga Cruises since. The food on Saga is both superior to P&O in quality & choice but I also accept a step up in price!.

On 11/5/2023 at 3:52 PM, Selbourne said:

A couple of shots from Arrecife in Lanzarote today. I think that I should be commended for being able to produce as many as 2 half decent photos from such an unattractive place 😂 

Ah, photos of 'the puddle' as it is known by the locals, but yes Arrecife isn't great.  However if you get out other parts of the island it does improve substantially.

image.thumb.jpeg.240ccc74dbeb30c403274eeed01ae856.jpeg

• Like 4