Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Selbourne! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Selbourne was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Well our next cruise has come around already and tomorrow (Saturday) we board Ventura for a 14 night cruise to the Canaries. We have a 1215 priority boarding embarkation slot and having had no issues whatsoever with CPS or embarkation on Britannia or Iona this summer we shall just turn up at around midday. We always travel down on the day, as it’s only a few hours drive for us, but we are all packed apart from last minute things. 

I was very surprised to discover that this will only be our third cruise on Ventura and the last time was in 2017. It’s very true that time goes quicker as you get older 😂 We are booked in an accessible Superior Deluxe balcony cabin. I’ve seen a YouTube video of it and it looks huge. Unfortunately the balconies with these cabins are completely uncovered, which I don’t like, so hopefully the weather will be kind for us. 

The big difference on this cruise will be that we have reverted to Club (Fixed) dining (2nd sitting), for the first time since Freedom dining was introduced. We took the decision after some frustrations with the app not being used properly in the MDRs on Britannia. We have requested a table for 2 and are hoping that, if we are successful, it will be a proper table for 2 and not one that’s 6 inches from another ‘table for 2’. Wish us luck 😂 

We have booked two dinners in Epicurean and one each in Sindhu and the Beach House. If the MDR disappoints then we may book more, but if it’s as good as it was on Britannia and Iona then we will be very happy. I fully intend to try the extra cost MDR dishes if the trial is still running 😋

I shall endeavour to post updates as and when I can, but will struggle on sea days. I have never paid for the ships WiFi before, but am going to try it for the first time over 24 hours to see if it’s any good, as a trial for our 65 nighter on Aurora in January. 

If anyone has any specific question about Ventura, or would like me to find out anything for you whilst we are on board, please don’t hesitate to ask. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

We are actually cruising tomorrow too, but on Iona - Spain and Portugal. 

I won't do a 'live from' this time as I don't want to be in direct competition with you, @Selbourne; in the quest for readers, you'll win hands down! 

Anyway, I'm going to try and detox from t'interweb these next two weeks. I may bob on now and again to see how yours is going, and if anyone is doing one on ours.  I'll still take photos, especially of food, and post a review when we get home.

We are currently in Andover, so it's only going to be a short trip in the morning.

I hope you and your good lady have a great cruise.🚢😎

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, TigerB said:

I won't do a 'live from' this time as I don't want to be in direct competition with you, @Selbourne; in the quest for readers, you'll win hands down! 

Anyway, I'm going to try and detox from t'interweb these next two weeks. I may bob on now and again to see how yours is going, and if anyone is doing one on ours.  I'll still take photos, especially of food, and post a review when we get home.

We are currently in Andover, so it's only going to be a short trip in the morning.

Thanks and enjoy your cruise too. If you do feel inclined, please do consider a ‘Live From’. I have enjoyed your previous ones immensely and I know that I won’t be alone. If not, I shall equally look forward to your post cruise review. Bon voyage!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Selbourne

I am booked on Ventura departing 5th November next year with members of my family to celebrate my stepson’s 60th birthday. I assume you have a similar itinerary? Madeira, Canaries & La Coruna. I will be most interested to read how you get on with the sea days in terms of what there is to do assuming the weather will be somewhat inclement. Looking forward to your reports, have a great time.

5 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Selbourne

I am booked on Ventura departing 5th November next year with members of my family to celebrate my stepson’s 60th birthday. I assume you have a similar itinerary? Madeira, Canaries & La Coruna. I will be most interested to read how you get on with the sea days in terms of what there is to do assuming the weather will be somewhat inclement. Looking forward to your reports, have a great time.

Thanks. It’s a 14 nighter so we do Madeira, Tenerife, La Palma, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Cadiz & Lisbon. I struggle a bit with sea days, and very much rely on good guest speakers as little else appeals, so I’m also keen to find out what the sea days hold!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TigerB said:

But you must report how the pole dancing is going ...

• Haha 9

30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. It’s a 14 nighter so we do Madeira, Tenerife, La Palma, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Cadiz & Lisbon. I struggle a bit with sea days, and very much rely on good guest speakers as little else appeals, so I’m also keen to find out what the sea days hold!

We are doing the same itinerary in February on Iona, but she isn't stopping at La Palma; we do though get an overnighter in Lisbon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Have a great time Selbourne & Tiger. 

Allow plenty of time getting to port, Southampton will be busy. 

Andy 

We will.   That bottleneck as you turn onto Central Road from Platform Road is always a nightmare; I don't know why they haven't sorted it out yet. On our last trip it took us 20 minutes just from that junction to bag drop!🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks and enjoy your cruise too. If you do feel inclined, please do consider a ‘Live From’. I have enjoyed your previous ones immensely and I know that I won’t be alone. If not, I shall equally look forward to your post cruise review. Bon voyage!

Our lass: "You're not going to have that sodding tablet in your hands this entire cruise, are you"?  33 years married this year, and I'd quite to make it to 35! 😉

To be fair, two of our kids are away in different parts of the world at the same time as us, so any online time will be spent chatting with them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

But you must report how the pole dancing is going ...

No pole in our allocated cabin this trip, MB.  You never know, we may get an upgrade; I'll go to Guest Services when we board and ask if there are any cabins with poles going spare. Failing that, I'll go on the hunt for pineapples on doors; one of those cabins may have a pole.🤭

• Haha 10