Questions from an MSC newbie (but a seasoned P&O traveller)

zzx

Hi,

We've only ever been on P&O Cruises before, but have booked Euribia over Christmas and are trying to work out a few differences. Would appreciate some help on any of the below!

1. It looks like we get assigned dining on Euribia, is this correct? Do we get a specific time/table, or just a range (we selected 'early dining' when booking). We'd like to eat in the MDR each night most probably.
  2. We are travelling with my wife's Mother who is in a separate cabin. How do we manage things so we get to eat together at the same place/time?
  3. On P&O you can book everything up front before you board. Entertainment, meals, etc. I don't see anything on MSC to allow this, is that right? So you just show up to the entertainment and hope there's space?
  4. We're boarding in Southampton, we have two (very) different boarding times for the two cabins I booked; 11am and 8pm. The contact centre just said show up whenever we wanted, is that likely to be a problem? We're travelling together so don't want to board at different times
  5. Is there a childrens menu in the MDR with more recognisable food for a fussy 12 year old?
  6. I saw something somewhere about being charged extras if you ordred extra food. Sometimes we'll order an additional main or desert if we wanted to try/share something. Is this an issue? On P&O you just tell them what you want and you get it
  7. I've seen lots about people complaining about paying for water. Our booking info says 'NCL - 603-HOT DRINKS AND WATER INCLUDED' - what water is this which is included? Is it like P&O where they show up with a jug at mealtimes, or something else

Thanks for any tips!

Water will be provided in the MDR, sometimes bottled, sometimes from a pitcher.  You will be assigned a dining room and time and table.  Some there in your cruise manager there should be a place that says ‘travel with’ and you add the booking number of your MIL.

Read some of the Live from threads from people not in YC.  They often post menus for breakfast and dinner.  Menus will not always be the same on each ship.  MSC seems to be more flexible with the menu selections.  No one has posted a kids menu, but mentioned that it is in sections aimed at different age groups.  I seem to remember that from before Covid.  
     There will be interactive screens around the ship where you can book your show.  Not sure if you can do that for any but the current day.  This doesn’t reserve you a particular seat, it is just to make sure there are enough seats for everyone.  Five minutes before show time they will open the doors for all.  They will scan your cards as you enter to make sure you have a reservation.  
    Currently they are charging for a second main entree but you can order as many apps as you want.  In the US it is a minor charge of $5 per item.  
     When you are checked in you will get your cruise card that will tell you time and place for dinner.  If it is not the same for both cabins, the welcome aboard paperwork will tell you where to go to discuss a change.  I can post some pages that were current on my cruise on Seaside in August from the US.  But it should give you an idea.

IMG_2095.jpeg

IMG_2044.png

IMG_2045.png

IMG_2041.png

IMG_2042.png

IMG_2039.png

IMG_0204.png

• Like 2

I thought they had a really nice buffet for breakfast and lunch, did t visit at dinner.  The comfort classics menu is the same at every dinner.  There is a section for kids in the buffet, usually near the back with chicken fingers little hotdogs, etc.  Not sure what picky UK kids eat…EM

Decide what you want before getting on board and pre-book as everything is more expensive onboard

(Drinks package is cheapest at time of booking)

Research the fun pass, 70 gets 140 value.

Early dining can be a few different times. once on you can try to change if not suitable

(The daily program will have the timings)

Xmas will be packed with kids.

Watch some YouTube vlogs from the Brits that have been doing Euribia.

Southampton Horizon terminal  you can turn up when you want, if using ABP for parking that can sometimes back up.

• Like 1