An Expensive Lesson Learned.

Cruzin Terri

16 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

Not the transportation aspect of the Terms but addressing the part of the discussion of having to cover the cost of the entire trip. I recently checked my credit cards for coverage terms as the card that I wanted to use for part of a travel purchase has no foreign currency transaction fees. The previous part of the trip I had already purchased on a different card but that was not in a foreign currency. In my case the first card, with the major purchase and the better coverage, would allow a partial purchase as long as the dollar amount was no greater than 20% (or such) not charged to the card. I might be recalling wrongly but think it was 20% . I will recheck and report back.  @ak1004 mine was on a TD First Class Travel card not the same as your Visa Aeroplan but is a CDN card. 

On 10/27/2023 at 5:51 PM, ak1004 said:

@Cruzin Terri very helpful thanks for sharing!

Any Canadians who read this, any idea if this is true for Canadian credit cards? I read my Visa Aeroplan Infinitie privilege card, as far as I could see, it covers all expenses paid by the card. It doesn’t mention that all expenses including air has to be paid by the card.

I was wrong / confused. I DID see that at least 75% had to be paid on my TD First Class Travel Infinite (whew) Visa card but that is not fully applicable as it is for the flight / trip delay coverage; not cancellation. I had looked at a "what has changed" pamphlet and it only addressed the delay coverage. For the cancellation 100% does need to be paid on the card (though that could change and I cannot speak on other similarly named cards)

flight/trip delay
"Covered Trip means travel on a Common Carrier, the fare for which at least 75% has been charged to Your Account and/or using Your TD Rewards Points."

and

"Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
Use your Card and/or TD Rewards Points to cover the full cost of your trip, and you’ll have coverage for: ..."

• Like 1

Sorry that happened. We never use a credit card offering of insurance policies as they are full of "holes". I'm not sure I can name an insurance co. as Cruisecritic seems censor happy at times. I would use your TA agent to find a good company. Due to my being a transplant recipient(and needing another one fairly soon) Insurance is very costly for "Cancel for any Reason" policies. We're hoping no issues arise near the Jan. cruise coming up. Obviously if a new Kidney becomes available, we'll cancel the cruise. I just know an insurances co. goal is not to have to pay out a claim. I'm sure many can testify to that as well.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Where do you find that? I would like to read what it  covers. 

I called AmEx the first time to ask about coverage. there is a number 822-228-6855 for insurance, but if that doesn't work just call the main number and ask. Also, on the menu on the right side of their web site once you sign in, if you click on "travel" and then "travel insurance" on the right side it will give you some options. I still have to call them to confirm because of the way it's worded; if you have the Platinum card you don't need to get the expensive insurance listed.

One semantic point that can't be emphasized enough.  Though you see references to "trip cancellation", note that there is a significant difference between your trip being cancelled by the supplier and a trip that is cancelled by the passenger.

26 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I called AmEx the first time to ask about coverage. there is a number 822-228-6855 for insurance, but if that doesn't work just call the main number and ask. Also, on the menu on the right side of their web site once you sign in, if you click on "travel" and then "travel insurance" on the right side it will give you some options. I still have to call them to confirm because of the way it's worded; if you have the Platinum card you don't need to get the expensive insurance listed.

Interesting. I see the theory. Since we have the AMEX trip cancelation benefit we could build our own coverage wiithout the AMEX insurance trip option. So book roundtrip air with the AMEX card and buy AMEX insurance. I think I would need to read the actual policy. 

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

One semantic point that can't be emphasized enough.  Though you see references to "trip cancellation", note that there is a significant difference between your trip being cancelled by the supplier and a trip that is cancelled by the passenger.

Difference how? Don't they have a list of cases that are covered, and the list includes cancellation both by the supplier and the passenger? For example, some of the covered cases in my insurance are:

Your emergency medical condition

The emergency medical condition of your travelling companion

The emergency medical condition of your travelling companion’s family member

A travel advisory or formal notice issued by the Canadian government

Default whereby a contracted supplier of air transportation stops all service

Delay of your or your travelling companion’s common carrier

etc etc

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Difference how? Don't they have a list of cases that are covered, and the list includes cancellation both by the supplier and the passenger? For example, some of the covered cases in my insurance are:

"In my insurance"

There are credit card policies that do not cover ANY cancellation by the passenger, just actions by the supplier.  Folks that just see "cancellation" may jump to conclusions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Also the Chase cards include medical and dental benefits

It is my understanding that the Chase Sapphire Reserve card provides  some coverage for medical and dental, but the Chase Sapphire Preferred card does not.  We use a Preferred card, so we buy a separate medical policy when traveling out of the US.  

OP:

Kudos for accepting and acknowledging accountability for what happened to you.

One of the drawbacks of CC (for me) is the tendency of all too many to go into self absorbed victim mode. I see it as a function of what I refer to as the "Me First Syndrome". Nothing is their fault and all companies involved must make them whole or compensate them even if the company is not responsible for the issue when something goes wrong.

It's really, really refreshing to hear someone say, in effect, "I made a mistake - hope that you can learn from my experience".

Your post has facilitated a lot of good info - particularly the significant difference in T&Cs between Amex and Chase card policies.

Well Done.

Sorry for the health issue and the canceled trip. Hope that the recovery is rapid and complete and that you are soon back to your travels.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Croooser said:

OP:

Kudos for accepting and acknowledging accountability for what happened to you.

One of the drawbacks of CC (for me) is the tendency of all too many to go into self absorbed victim mode. I see it as a function of what I refer to as the "Me First Syndrome". Nothing is their fault and all companies involved must make them whole or compensate them even if the company is not responsible for the issue when something goes wrong.

It's really, really refreshing to hear someone say, in effect, "I made a mistake - hope that you can learn from my experience".

Your post has facilitated a lot of good info - particularly the significant difference in T&Cs between Amex and Chase card policies.

Well Done.

Sorry for the health issue and the canceled trip. Hope that the recovery is rapid and complete and that you are soon back to your travels.

Thank you.

I appreciate your kind remarks.

Terri

On 10/28/2023 at 4:09 PM, Cruzin Terri said:

Thaks.  I really think this would have worked had I been aware of the rules.

I just was not paying attention when I booked the airfare.  The funny thing is, I had enough AMEX points to pay for the airfare as well.  I would have been fully covered.

I am not going to fight with them when it is in black and white what the rules are.

I learned a hard lesson and wanted others to be aware to make sure they don't make the same mistake I did.

Terri

Thanks for the post.  Now I'm thanking my lucky stars that I booked our flights using AMEX points.😅