Trying to decide: Mullet, Divi Little Bay, or Captain Frenchy Grand Case

PATRLR

Stopping in St Maarten in late December.  In port 10AM to 7:00PM.  We are looking for a beach to go to.  We would like to be able to rent a couple of loungers and an umbrella and get food/drinks either very nearby or better yet served to us on the beach. no need for fancy cuisine, burgers/sandwiches is fine.  No need for water sports.   Been reading many, many reviews and descriptions and I think I’ve narrowed it down to either Mullet, Divi Little Bay, or Captain Frenchy Grand Case.  For various reasons, we've ruled out Orient, Maho, and Great Bay.    Looking for feedback/thoughts on those three.

Also, two questions:

• Divi – Is it really necessary to buy a Daypass?  Many people saying buy a day pass but also seems like many people just walk up and are able to rent longers/umbrellas. 
  • Grand Case – I’ve seen some posts that make it seem like most of the beach is gone.  Is that the case in front of areas like Frenchy’s? 

Went to Mullet a few years back.

Basic ( but ok ) food options. A part of the beach is "clothing optional" but when I went it was only a couple of person and they were on the left side of the besch ( when facing the water ).

Depending of number of ships in port it might get crowded with water sports. Again, when I went,  there were none but I have seen videos where there was a lot.

I plan on going at Mullet in january on my next stop there. The beach is wide and you can find a calm spot for sure but further from the food kiosk.

• Like 1

Just my guess, judging from your question, I think you would like Captain Frenchy best.It would have best chair service.  Food may be a little more expensive than you want.  Beach should be OK - but could it change by late December?  Yes it could.  Divi and Mullet would be cheaper and easier to get to.  Really, just a matter of personal opinion.  We really like Divi but others we know would prefer Captain Frenchy or Mullet.  (BTW: there is no clothing optional at Mullet - at least nothing officially "tolerated.")

Edited by SnorkelAway
Edited to say that you do not need a day pass at Divi.

11 hours ago, SnorkelAway said:

(BTW: there is no clothing optional at Mullet - at least nothing officially "tolerated.")

Thanks for your feedback.  And I didn't think there was any CO section at Mullett, I suspect there was confusion between Mullet and Orient.

On 10/31/2023 at 6:48 AM, PATRLR said:

Thanks for your feedback.  And I didn't think there was any CO section at Mullett, I suspect there was confusion between Mullet and Orient.

I can assure you there is no confusion, it was at Mullet Beach.

Maybe that day, that time... I don't know but this was a thing.

Taken from " Stmarteenadventure.com"

Mullet Bay Beach is somewhat you would like to call a semi nudist beach. People are mostly seen topless, and occasionally completely nude. It is a great place to visit and enjoy.

Some aspects of Mullet Bay Beach

• The beach semi nudist, so, you might be careful while going cloth less. Whereas, it’s alright to roam around topless.
  • A white sand beach with blue Caribbean waves, calmly striking against the soft sand ends.
  • This beach is known for the marvelous scenic places, best for photogenic people.
  • Moreover, a cliff nearby can offer a decent hike and fantastic views.
  • A lot of water sports are offered to visitors, a lot of quiet places for meditation and relaxation.

We went to Divi in 2019 and liked it -- lots of loungers but not right on top of each other (not like at Great Bay by the port). Nice beach with some decent snorkeling. I think we just paid for the chairs and umbrella. I don't remember if we got any food, sorry.

• 1 month later...

Following up on this question.  

We went to Divi Little Bay.  We took a taxi from Philipsburg (water taxi to Philipsburg first for some quick shopping) $5pp, about a 10 minute ride.  

Beach was very nice, definitely not at all crowded.  $15 for two loungers and an umbrella.  Easy access to their beach side bar and grille.  Clean restrooms available.  My wife walked around the resort and said it was very nice.  We had lunch at the grille, we both had burgers which actually were pretty good (better than the ones we were getting on ship, but that's another story). Picture of menu included.  

The pictures from the beach are later in the afternoon, but, even mid day, the beach wasn't much more crowded than that.

IMG_7369.JPEG

DIVI Sign.jpeg

IMG_7372.JPEG

IMG_7373.JPEG

Edited by PATRLR

On 12/27/2023 at 10:42 AM, SnorkelAway said:

Thanks for posting good informative report of what you did - good pictures. 

First, surprised you were charged only $5 per person, but then noticed that was charge from Philipsburg not from port.

Philipsburg is the port, I believe. 

• 1 month later...

Belair is next to Divi on Little Bay.  Nice resort but do not think snorkeling in front of it is as good as at Divi.  Gingerbread Cafe is nice place for lunch.  If you have never been to Belair or Divi, might want to just get a taxi to Divi and check out both.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2023 at 7:10 AM, PATRLR said:

Following up on this question.  

We went to Divi Little Bay.  We took a taxi from Philipsburg (water taxi to Philipsburg first for some quick shopping) $5pp, about a 10 minute ride.  

Beach was very nice, definitely not at all crowded.  $15 for two loungers and an umbrella.  Easy access to their beach side bar and grille.  Clean restrooms available.  My wife walked around the resort and said it was very nice.  We had lunch at the grille, we both had burgers which actually were pretty good (better than the ones we were getting on ship, but that's another story). Picture of menu included.  

The pictures from the beach are later in the afternoon, but, even mid day, the beach wasn't much more crowded than that.

IMG_7369.JPEG

DIVI Sign.jpeg

IMG_7372.JPEG

IMG_7373.JPEG

This is great info! Thanks!

My wife, daughter and I are sailing Getaway in 18 days and want something simple for our stop in St. Maarten.

We arrive at 12:30PM and were just going to walk to Philipsburg (we'll need the exercise after a few days of gorging ourselves onboard), shop a little and find a spot to park ourselves on the beach.

Your idea is better!

We can still take our walk over there and then taxi to Divi Little Bay.

Do you have any other tips for this DIY excursion?

TIA

1 hour ago, bkrickles1 said:

This is great info! Thanks!

My wife, daughter and I are sailing Getaway in 18 days and want something simple for our stop in St. Maarten.

We arrive at 12:30PM and were just going to walk to Philipsburg (we'll need the exercise after a few days of gorging ourselves onboard), shop a little and find a spot to park ourselves on the beach.

Your idea is better!

We can still take our walk over there and then taxi to Divi Little Bay.

Do you have any other tips for this DIY excursion?

TIA

12:30 is kind of a late arrival.  I might be inclined to taxi direct from the pier to DIVI and then when coming back take taxi to Phillipsburg and do your walk.  

• Thanks 1

That's a good idea! 

We're there until 8pm but we want just a couple of hours of beach time. 

And buying some stuff, like my wife and daughter are bound to do, would work better on the way back. 

Thanks.