Will Princess follow Royal Caribbean on tips?

phabric

On 10/31/2023 at 10:36 PM, satxdiver said:

It has always been my opinion to add the crew gratuities in the price of the cruise with no choice.  When I price a cruise I want to see the total price including taxes, port fees and gratuities added in and not the misleading they do now to show cheaper prices.  Personally I treat it all as the cost of the cruise. 

The raising of the daily gratuity is a given and the only question is when. It is not unusual to also leave the room steward a small tip for his efforts particularly if we have extra requests.   

I agree with you. But Princess, like all cruise lines competes on price. And in this Internet era, in which we live, all most people see is an initial price. 
It’s a marketing dilemma that due to Princess’ diverse clientele is difficult to resolve.  Hence all the angst on this forum. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:07 PM, jwattle said:

My point was that other countries are getting into and/or accepting the tips,  as opposed to being offended by or turning their nose up at them, as some had previously implied. 

You are correct. I was n Hamburg, Germany last fall in a very traditional German restaurant. When the invoice was presented, I was shocked to see a tip line on the machine.  I’ve been to Germany many times over the years and have never seen this before, ever. 
Sadly, US culture is becoming all to pervasive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2023 at 11:49 PM, BlerkOne said:

I value it at $16 per day. 

If you read the footnotes from the 2022 CCL financial statements, they indicate that they allocate between elements of a package.  So my interpretation is the more you drink on your Plus or Premier package, the less they allocate to crew appreciation.