Cell Phone Usage

cruisingmen

Excuse me. Am I the only one that has a problem with vacationers using their cell phones at sea? I find it extremely inappropriate unless it's an emergency because it truly takes away from the vacation atmosphere. I assume that serious travelers that use this forum would find a remote spot on the ship to use the phone, rather than disrupting the quiet reverie of their fellow passengers. I have many responsiblities at work and within my family, and yet, I would never dream of using my cell phone where strangers could hear me in any circumstance, much less on a Caribbean or European cruise! By the way, this is not an attack or belittlement of anybody. You have a right to use your cell phone and you have a right to smoke.......just as long as you are not abusing someone else's rights to health and privacy, etc. If you think this bothers me, you should see how upset I get about cell phone use at the movies!

Excuse me. Am I the only one that has a problem with vacationers using their cell phones at sea? I find it extremely inappropriate unless it's an emergency because it truly takes away from the vacation atmosphere. I assume that serious travelers that use this forum would find a remote spot on the ship to use the phone, rather than disrupting the quiet reverie of their fellow passengers. I have many responsiblities at work and within my family, and yet, I would never dream of using my cell phone where strangers could hear me in any circumstance, much less on a Caribbean or European cruise! By the way, this is not an attack or belittlement of anybody. You have a right to use your cell phone and you have a right to smoke.......just as long as you are not abusing someone else's rights to health and privacy, etc. If you think this bothers me, you should see how upset I get about cell phone use at the movies!

Is my own cabin remote enough for you!:eek: Unless you plan to move in with me, I don't see what your problem is. I have a very ill parent at home and I need to check in often.

That's why I asked the question about where the service is available - I was under the impression that it was only in cabin and on the upper decks (and I would suggest in cabin would be enough). If that's true, then Lynda's right...should make no difference to anyone else.

On the Golden the cell phone service was not limited to any particular area of the ship. It works wherever you are. I am not even certain such technology exists to limit it to particular areas of the ship. Maybe someone else can answer that.

I saw people using their cell phones even in the Princess Theatre. I have not been on a Princess ship since December so maybe Princess is requesting that people use them only in their cabins as a courtesy. On my sailing, which was when the service was activated on the Golden, there was no such request made by Princess to confine yourself to your cabin. Maybe this has changed by now.

No, you're not the only one who has a problem with people using their cell phones at sea. If you're using them in the privacy of your cabins, and I can't hear you, then fine. No problem.

We were on the Crown last October and most people were unable to use their cell phones until the day we were docked in port in Florida. Then all you saw and heard were people everywhere yakking on their cells. We couldn't get a break anywhere, and were hard pressed to find a peaceful, relaxing spot on the ship without being subjected to someone's inane conversation.

If it was important I wouldn't care, but the conversations went something like this: "Yeah, so I couldn't decide what I wanted and ended up with the pancakes AND the omelette. What? Cheese omelette. I SAID, CHEESE OMELETTE! CAN YOU HEAR ME? Oh, good. And then today they're supposed to have sushi on the lunch buffet. What? I SAID, THEY'RE HAVING SUSHI TODAY!" and so on.

I would be MUCH more understanding if the conversations were a bit more important that what someone had for breakfast. I understand those who have a legitimate need for contact i.e. an ill family member, or checking on their children. But if the conversation is just to shoot the breeze, please, give the rest of us a break.

Sharon H.

No one said they were going to use them right next to you in the pool area or anything. However, I think cell phone service at sea is a great idea. When cruising I must leave 5 pets home who mean the world to me. I can give the sitter an emergency number, but that doesnt help if I just want to check in or they want to ask a simple question. Being available at all times would make me very happy. I think most people are smart enough to use their phones in a manner that would not insult anyone else.

Looks like in Mexico you can talk for .59 a minute but the cruise ship rate is 2.49 a minute.

Your are correct on the Princess cruise ship rate. It's $2.49 a minute when using the cruise ship "tower."

This has got to be a money maker for Princess and that's why I think you'll see more cell phone connectivity on Princess as time goes by.

BTW: I've used my cell phone to connect to a shore cell site from the dining room and don't believe I disturbed anybody. I'm amazed on how far out at sea the ship can be and you can still reach a shore cell site.

On the Golden the cell phone service was not limited to any particular area of the ship. It works wherever you are. I am not even certain such technology exists to limit it to particular areas of the ship. Maybe someone else can answer that.
Yes the technology exists to limit signals to certain areas of the ship and when Princess originally started the service, it was indicated it would be available in cabin and on upper decks only. Freedom to use cell phones anywhere on the ship is a worry.
BTW: I've used my cell phone to connect to a shore cell site from the dining room and don't believe I disturbed anybody.
I believe you probably did disturb someone and if you had been sitting next to me, I wouldn't have been so polite as to let you think you weren't disturbing me.

Cell phone usage, as with smoking, drinking, cursing, and loud talking, are all a product of "manners". Those with good manners will care about the people around them. Those without, won't.

Just my thoughts,

Mark

Cell phone usage, as with smoking, drinking, cursing, and loud talking, are all a product of "manners". Those with good manners will care about the people around them. Those without, won't.

Just my thoughts,

Mark

Exactly!

Therefore the use of cell phones should be banned only when all of the above are.

Exactly!

Therefore the use of cell phones should be banned only when all of the above are.

:rolleyes: How about if people just use proper manner when partaking in all of the above?

In all honesty, there were some pretty loud and obnoxious people by the adult pool on our last Crown sailing....I really don't see much of a difference between this and someone talking on their cell phone.

One from person who was in an extreme emergency situation, I'm thrilled that Princess offers the cell phone service. I would hope that people who use proper manners just like Brian suggested, but I also hope that they do that anytime on the ship. Hopefully Princess limits where the phone can be used so we don't have to hear the constant ringing of someone's phone.

Of course, I won't be telling my husband that the service is around or his blackberry may have to be tossed overboard!

As much as I want to use the convenience of using my cell phone to call home and check on the girls, especially the one carrying my first grandchild!... I'm not inclined to share this new information with my husband or we'll be adding something to the ocean too! He does make it a habit of calling from a port once or twice to check his voicemails if he was in the middle of a big project when we left and has been known to have to work a bit on the Internet. I don't begrudge him those things because if it weren't for those people leaving messages requesting his services I wouldn't be in the middle of blue water sipping a Chocolate Banana!

We would never dream of taking our cell phones out of our stateroom and although we have very good manners and a deep respect for other people, the primary reason is we don't want to be bothered by anyone. We'll check in when it's a good time for us and otherwise a message can be left and if we feel like returning the call we will.

Yes, we are on vacation and we have been just fine on previous cruises without our cell phones, BUT, it just makes sense to use this service rather than use the phones at port to call home. If you make it a habit of calling home anyway and we always do. That's my take on it.

Now, I could get you all really stirred up by saying that we have an unlimited data plan for our laptop that works off of a cell phone tower and I'd be interested in that information. I've read up on it a bit and you can purchases a package to use "internationally" for data. I wonder how well that would work and if anyone has tried it. Depending on how much one "had" to be on the internet it might actually be cheaper than the rates Princess now has. Hopefully, my husband will be in a position to kick back and relax and not do any programming on this cruise. But I've said that before! Lucky for him it's not just his job but something he really enjoys so he doesn't mind, except if it is a serious deadline that causes some stress. I'm happy to sit back with a book and let him type away!

There is no charge for Cingular in St Thomas and San Juan.

The rates are on the website- in fact you build your itinerary using the Princess cruises option. Lists your ports and the charges.

I found that if you can see the island you can get coverage.

I apologize for the aggressive manner in which I came across about the use of cells phones on deck. I am not talking about the people on this forum who are experienced and polite travelers (it's like preaching to the choir). We have had some nightmares particularly in Europe on a German River cruise filled with European businessmen who seemed to be in a contest of who could talk the loudest on deck (even with beautiful scenery surrounding us). We had one Asian fellow who wouldn't get off his cell phone even on a tour bus to the point that the rest of the passengers forced the guide to stop the bus and were going to mutiny if she didn't make him get off the phone. He kept talking loudly in Japanese completely oblivious to the wrath of his fellow travelers! The poor guide looked totally baffled as to how handle the situation. At the very least, I think Princess should set an example by posting signs urging cell phone etiquette just like they do in our public library. And I disagree respectfully with our member who claims that talking on a cell phone is no different than talking with another person in front of you. You talk louder on a phone and others cannot help but hear your conversation. It seems like it shouldn't make a difference but it does. Again, I apologize for my negativity because we are supposed to have fun on these boards and I thought you would enjoy the tour bus vignette. If anyone else has an unusual situation like that to share, we would love to hear it! Thanks..........

I just wanted to share our experience with a cell phone on the Grand in January. For my husband and I (we each had a phone), it worked ONLY when sailing - not when we were in port. We have Verizon. We never could get a signal when not sailing, and could sometimes not get one when sailing.

If any of you are leaving a situation at home which leaves you uncomfortable, call your ship and find out how to get in touch with you if there is an emergency. We did this before sailing, and were reassured there would be no problem. This was not true. The number posted in our Princess packet listed a number to call in case of an emergency, and we could not be reached when my husband's mother died on Tuesday night after we had left on Saturday. It was a most unfortunate situation. After we left Roatan, we could be reached and received the message via our cell phone.. The ship phone in our room never did ring so take precaution if you are going to need to get in touch with the home folks. We did make it back to Texas on Wednesday as we had just docked in Belize who had an airport. Do not depend on the listed number in the Princess packet.

The reason your phone did not work while at port is because the service is turned off.

http://www.cellularatsea.com/

I have mixed feelings about it but to be funny, I was gonna write that I think I'll take my phone along on my next cruise and when the kids at the next table are acting up or people are screaming with delight over throwing a beer in the pool, I'm gonna call my daughter and talk real loud about what I'm experiencing.

And that made me realize that the old adage of "you'll never see these people again so go ahead and wear your swim suit to the pool if you want to" is no longer valid cuz with people having phones that take photos and videos, you could find yourself on YouTube napping by the pool with your mouth hanging open.

Now THERE is food for thought.

Have a good day, everyone. :)

Archived