Seascape Reviews

mcoler181

The prices on RCL are in the stratosphere. We have a suite on the Euribia, and to get a similar cabin on the Icon of the Seas (both new ships) would be 4x more expensive for my family (and we're comparing the respective high season for each ship), without any suite benefits.

I don't understand RCL's pricing, and I don't know who can afford it.

29 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

other companies already know and use the AI model. Like I said  RCI includes all the fun and all the MDR entrees you want. We also didn't have to pay extra for the rock climbing wall or trampoline on NCL.

The problem with all inclusive is that you end up paying for things that you DON'T want to pay for. If MSC raised everyone's fare by $5 but allowed a second entrée in the MDR, people who don't order a second entrée would be paying for nothing. 

When things are optional, people pay for what they want and ignore what they don't want. The go-karts on NCL are an extra charge that people can either accept or not partake in the go-karts. If the go-karts were no extra charge, people who don't or can't use the go-karts would be paying for nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

You get what you pay for, I guess.

Agreed. 

I don't want to pay for things that I don't use. In some cases, it is inevitable. I've never used a kid's club but part of my fare goes to pay those staff members. I'm paying for nothing but it is an acceptable part of cruising. If the cruise line decides to charge extra for something that is optional, that is not a "nickel and dime" tactic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If the cruise line decides to charge extra for something that is optional, that is not a "nickel and dime" tactic. 

if a cruise line decides to charge extra for something that has always been included before, it is the very definition of nickel and dime tactic.

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we would now since DS is 12 (considered an adult by RCI), but not when we sailed before. I do agree that post-pandemic pricing got out of control for the other cruise lines, but it only started this year. Pre-pandemic I booked an MSC cruise out of curiosity rather than it being twice as cheap as other lines (it wasn't), but it was cancelled due to the pandemic just starting.

But we all could do all the carousel rides, all the zip lining, all the ice skating, all the surfing, all the rock climbing, etc. as many times as we wanted, and eat all the MDR food on RCI and NCL, and it was all included. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Yeah I agree with you on that, the last two we were on was Adventure and Allure and don't recall having to pay for anything really

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

there are 5 of us, so it's not $35 for the whole week.

And you are right - it's "funny" that a cruise line would charge more money for additional entrees after people have already paid thousands for the cruise to have unlimited MDR meals they have been accustomed to throughout many years.

It will become even funnier when people start cancelling because of the excessive nickel and diming. I prefer to pay a bit more but have every MDR meal included, along with all inclusive fun activities like on RCI.

Wow, 5 of you that all need that extra entree? Go to the buffet, or Golden Corral.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if a cruise line decides to charge extra for something that has always been included before, it is the very definition of nickel and dime tactic.

Would you prefer...?

A) The cruise line raises everyone's fare by $50 but allows a 2nd entree in the MDR.

B) The cruise line charges $5 for a 2nd entree for the people who want more.

Obviously, we'd all like an option where the fare doesn't increase and there isn't a charge for a 2nd entree but we aren't given that option.

If Yacht Club guests are charged for a 2nd entree (they aren't), I can understand if people are a bit miffed but it would still be an optional charge. I've sailed Yacht Club when Venchi was included and I've sailed Yacht Club when Venchi was an extra charge. In both cases, I ordered what I wanted. I didn't let the miniscule charge bother me just as the extra entree charge shouldn't really bother someone who wants an extra entree.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1