Pre cruise Rome or Post cruise Athens

snorkle lover

Looking for advice on either a pre cruise with RSSC or post cruise. The pre cruise is Rome and mentions the Tivoli Gardens. We have been to Rome once but never to the Tivoli Gardens. The post cruise is Athens and we have not been to Greece. It is quite a short cruise so we are hoping to extend for a few days either prior or after the cruise. Any advice is appreciated.

As favourite city's go - Rome is mine 😁. I love ancient monuments and Rome has loads, plus cathedrals, the Vatican City, the Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, loads of piazzas and it is more compact than Athens so you can also explore on your own.

However, if you book a concierge you get a day in Rome pre cruise so if you have seen the above you could book the Tivoli tour on your own.

Athens also has lots of Ancient monuments and museums for you to explore plus some slightly more modern buildings. The only thing I would say about Athens is it seems a bit more 'run down' as you move away from the centre - but everyone should visit the Acropolis and the Parthenon at least once in their life ( and the view at night is also spectacular 😁)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snorkle lover said:

Looking for advice on either a pre cruise with RSSC or post cruise. The pre cruise is Rome and mentions the Tivoli Gardens. We have been to Rome once but never to the Tivoli Gardens. The post cruise is Athens and we have not been to Greece. It is quite a short cruise so we are hoping to extend for a few days either prior or after the cruise. Any advice is appreciated.

You will probably get more responses if you provide more details. For me, I've assumed that you are on the 7-day Splendor cruise in October 2024 (great time to be in Rome and Athens). I have visited Rome and Athens extensively. I have taken many Regent pre- and post- cruise tours BUT always they were "included" - the pre/post for the 10/24 Splendor are at least now extra cost.

I would pick the Athens post-cruise because (your specifics might change the recommendation):

1. the new Acropolis Museum is AMAZING and you'd be going there without jet lag.

2. The outside of Athens activities are interesting in themselves and you have never been to Greece.

3. The Athens option is $1,000 cheaper.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

You will probably get more responses if you provide more details. For me, I've assumed that you are on the 7-day Splendor cruise in October 2024 (great time to be in Rome and Athens). I have visited Rome and Athens extensively. I have taken many Regent pre- and post- cruise tours BUT always they were "included" - the pre/post for the 10/24 Splendor are at least now extra cost.

I would pick the Athens post-cruise because (your specifics might change the recommendation):

1. the new Acropolis Museum is AMAZING and you'd be going there without jet lag.

2. The outside of Athens activities are interesting in themselves and you have never been to Greece.

3. The Athens option is $1,000 cheaper.

Hi DeepFreeze63, Thank you for your thoughts on the land tours. You are correct we are doing Oct. 24 Rome to Athens ( seven days). Your three points are all well taken and we will probably do the Greece tour. 

Techno, we have been to Vatican City, the Spanish steps , the Collosseum etc so just taking the pre tour for Tivoli gardens probably isn’t the best decision.

Thank you both!

• Like 1

Having just returned with a stop in Athens, you could easily do Athens in a day on your own post cruise.  We spent 5 days in Rome on our own post cruise.  It was great and we did a day tour to Tivoli with a private tour booked on viator.   It was a wonderful tour and a stop for lunch at Ristorante Sibilla which had great views right next to the temple and excellent food (Rome limousines via viator),

Florence was also amazing at the hotel palazzo vecchieti

Currently on Splendor Athens-Athens-Rome. Did the pre-cruise in Athens. Since we came in a day before the pre-cruise started we did the Hop On Hop Off bus the first day and a Food Tour that evening. Next day was Poseiden's temple, lunch, and dinner. I opted out of day 2 and 3 due to a bad knee, but from my friend's description both were good and they were onboard by 1:30.

Doing the Rome/Tivoli post cruise in a few days. Once again the first day is empty so will probably do HOHO.

Will report back after.