Kobe Sake Tastings or a Second Day in Kyoto

cjwags

We will be docked in Kobe overnight in March.  We have a full day guide reserved in Kyoto on our fist day and are planning to maximize the day to see as much as possible. (I know Kyoto deserves way more than a day!)  We have the choice of spending the night in Kyoto and being back to Kobe by 3 pm th efollowing day, so giving us a longer day and a morning the next day.  This option gives us the longest time in Kyoto.  Our other option is to return to the ship on the first night and spend time in Kobe the next day.  If we did this, we would do some sake tasting and maybe lunch (Kobe beef?)

I am looking for opinions and recommendations. Is the sake tasting in Kobe worth it? Better to spend longer in Kyoto? There is so much to do in this area, that we would stay a week if we could!  Next trip I guess.

We recently spent 12 pre-cruise days in Japan (once my military home) and we split our nights between Tokyo and Kyoto.  For us, even a week in Kyoto was barely enough time to enjoy that area (including a day trip to Hiroshima).  As to Kobe, it was a very low priority.  Speaking of "Kobe Beef,"  this is a product you can find in any major city of Japan.  We do recommend enjoying some A5 beef, but beware that the real thing is very very pricey.

Hank

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Speaking of "Kobe Beef,"  this is a product you can find in any major city of Japan.  We do recommend enjoying some A5 beef, but beware that the real thing is very very pricey.

Hank

"Kobe Beef" for lunch, restaurants make cheaper prices during lunch.  I go beyond, had "Kobe beef" in a butcher shop (some had a few small tables setup for lunch) - I picked my steak and butcher cooked it, cheaper than a restaurant lunch price. 😜