Average $ Per Day

Fun~N~Sun

How much money should I budget per person per day? I realize this of course will depend on excursions, shopping, etc. I'm sure we will buy something at each port t-shirt, purse, ........ and a few drinks along the way. Just a generalization would be great. I really have no clue and don't want to be caught short. Also what can I expect to spend for activities on our two days at sea?

Also, we will be on Destiny going to San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados and Aruba. Do the ATM's at these locations give US dollars?

I have one person with me who drinks alot of soda are all beverages an additional charge?

Well, I'll take a stab at this. :)

Sodas are extra. If you drink a lot of soda, you can buy a soda card which gives you unlimited soda. Around $35 to $40 for an adult soda card. $2.50 each without the card, I believe.

Alcoholic drinks will cost you around $5 to $8, depending on the type. That includes a 15% tip that is automatically added on ~ no need to tip extra if you don't want to. Not sure what beer costs, and you can get a bucket of beer for a bit of a discount.

Gambling ~ depends on how much you gamble. ;)

Photos ~ every time you turn around, there will be a ship photo op! Getting off the ship at ports, plus embarkation photo, dinnertime photos, and don't forget formal night photos where you can walk all around the ship and get photos taken in front of really cool different backgrounds. It's nice to purchase some photos.

Souvenirs, jewelry, etc. in the ships shops and the shops in your ports. Only you know how much of a "shopper" you are.

Shore excursions: do some research on Carnival.com to see what the different excursions are that are offered in your ports. Also, go to the Ports of Call section of these boards and you will find tons of info. If you plan to eat, or drink in ports, that will add up as well.

Don't forget tips for taxi drivers, porters (about $1 to $2 per bag when you drop your luggage off on embarkation day), and room service. Room service is free on the ship, but you should tip the delivery person $1 or $2 each time they bring you something.

I'm sure there are things I've forgotten, but as you can see, it really depends on you and your spending habits. Happy cruising! :)

P.S. I'm sure you know that other than the $$ for tips, and the money you'll spend onshore, everything else - alcohol, gambling, photos, souvenirs on the ship, sodas - will all be charged on your S&S card. So, unless you're using CASH for you S&S account, you won't need to bring cash for those items. (well, maybe for the gambling, but you can also use S&S for that if you wish)

WOW, yogi! You must be a real tightwad! :D :D :cool:

I usually spend about $150 total out of pocket for a 7 or 8 day cruise. Of course I don't gamble much, so mainly drinks in the islands and tips. So that amount is probably on the extreme low side but keep in mind this is for only 1 person.

Momofzeke covered it very good, depends on what you like to do.

If you don't gamble, drink and you don't do any excursions, you take your tips off then you need nothing...........lol

If your like us you need $1500 cash and a credit limit of at least $3000 case you find somthing you can't live without :D lol

And of course there is a stash you take that DH doesn't know about..:eek:

Have fun

For this cruise, we will be cruisng on a budget. We are taking about $1,500 with us and our debit card on our 8 day cruise. We are not drinkers (not to say we won't at least try one) or gamblers and we are paying for our excursions before we cruise. That way, it don't hurt the wallet so much...lol..

patty

My husband and I spent about that same 1500 over 7 days, and that included a spa treatment - so it really does depend on what you think you can't live without! I can see how someone could spend very little above and beyond the drinks and soda. Look at it this way - if you can do without alcohol (yeah, uh huh, right) and soda, if you can manage with just iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch and coffee, you really can get by with just the tips if you worked at it. But I sure wouldn't count on that!

Jersey Girl , how are you doing this evening. Still waiting for that snow to start here in Denver,.

Hey, I'm good. No snow in the near future for us. At least none that I know of. You guys are getting about 10 inches right? :eek: Own a sled?

Hey, I'm good. No snow in the near future for us. At least none that I know of. You guys are getting about 10 inches right? :eek: Own a sled?

They said 10-12 by noon tomorrow. No sled, no snowmobile, just a good pair of snow tires and boots. LOL. the Foothills, which is jst about 30 miles from here are suppose to get 20-30 inches

Alright, this thread has gotten me started on trying to make an itemized budget for my trip. I'll probably only buy the embarkation photo. Does anyone know how much Carnival charges for a photo?

$37.18

Opps wrong question i was answering...

Hey, we're in St. Louis, waiting for that same storm to pass through KC and head our way by tomorrow night! And those buds on the trees causes most folks around here to stash the sweaters already!

Well, we're tightwads too. We quit buying the photos several cruises ago, we don't drink or gamble. So...our DD (age 12) buys a trinket or two (usually a couple of bucks) and we tip the recommended amount. That's usually it.

However....last cruise on HAL we did "join" the spa for the week which was WAY extravagant for us. Was it worth it? Not really. It ended up making me feel guilty when I didn't really want to go sit in the thermal tub, but knew I should because I paid the couple hundred bucks for "spa priveliges".

Our next cruise is on Carnvial on Friday. It'll be 8 days in Mexico. I'm quite sure that we'll be around $500 or so including cab fare to/from the airport.

I agree with the comment on "faceless Maitre D's"!! What's up with that?

Alright, this thread has gotten me started on trying to make an itemized budget for my trip. I'll probably only buy the embarkation photo. Does anyone know how much Carnival charges for a photo?

Here is what I found on the Carnival site. I plan on getting formal pictures of me and my daughter. I read on another thread you can get the Titanic background and that is our favorite movie!!! :D

The Ship's Photographers take both candid and posed shots all during the cruise. The photos are then put on display, usually the very next day, and are available for purchase (with a Sail & Sign Card). The prices are as follows, depending on the ship: 4-wallet size $5.00 1-5x7 $5.95 1- 6x9 $8.00

1- 8x10 $19.95 Special requests can be made by appointment and are available for a fee. Film is available in the Duty-Free shops for purchase.

An 8x10 costs about $20

Here is what I found on the Carnival site. I plan on getting formal pictures of me and my daughter. I read on another thread you can get the Titanic background and that is our favorite movie!!! :D

The Ship's Photographers take both candid and posed shots all during the cruise. The photos are then put on display, usually the very next day, and are available for purchase (with a Sail & Sign Card). The prices are as follows, depending on the ship: 4-wallet size $5.00 1-5x7 $5.95 1- 6x9 $8.00

1- 8x10 $19.95 Special requests can be made by appointment and are available for a fee. Film is available in the Duty-Free shops for purchase.

Thank you! Any idea how much Bingo costs?

Thank you! Any idea how much Bingo costs?

Bingo? I'm 26 not 62!!! :p Just kidding. I have read on here that it is $10 per game per card. So if you play one game with 3 cards it is $30? That seems pretty pricey though. But I honestly have nothing to compare it to!

Hey, we're in St. Louis, waiting for that same storm to pass through KC and head our way by tomorrow night! And those buds on the trees causes most folks around here to stash the sweaters already!

Well, we're tightwads too. We quit buying the photos several cruises ago, we don't drink or gamble. So...our DD (age 12) buys a trinket or two (usually a couple of bucks) and we tip the recommended amount. That's usually it.

However....last cruise on HAL we did "join" the spa for the week which was WAY extravagant for us. Was it worth it? Not really. It ended up making me feel guilty when I didn't really want to go sit in the thermal tub, but knew I should because I paid the couple hundred bucks for "spa priveliges".

Our next cruise is on Carnvial on Friday. It'll be 8 days in Mexico. I'm quite sure that we'll be around $500 or so including cab fare to/from the airport.

I agree with the comment on "faceless Maitre D's"!! What's up with that?

Ditto on "faceless Maitre D's" ???

mel

Archived