VERY LATE FLIGHT HOME AFTER DISEMBARKING IN VANCOUVER, WHAT TO DO?

GOTTODOIT

Hello,  we disembark the NCL Jewel on 29th April and our flight home is not until 11 pm.  Would appreciate any info or ideas how to fill in our day so we are not sitting at the airport for so long, watching the clock go round.  We will have our luggage to consider also. 

I was thinking that we take our luggage to airport and put in lockers but then what?

thank you 

Vancouver airport does have baggage storage and that could be an option.

You could alternatively book in advance a DAY ROOM at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel.  These generally are 4, 6, or 8 hour rates.  (I don't know the rates, but rooms are available for checkin  and your chosen stay time between 8am and 7pm). The day room option allows you to keep your luggage with you and you can then just relax and use the hotel facilities for the day.

Personally I would go to Viator and look for a day tour of Vancouver and surrounding area that would allow you to bring your bags with you.  (Hopefully you don't have too much luggage). This would likely have to be a private tour where your luggage is considered as most day tour vehicles may not have room for a lot of luggage, especially if it is a shared tour.  You could either get a pick up from the cruise terminal, or take your luggage to the airport, drop it at the storage area, then go on a Viator tour from the airport.

Or, take the SkyTrain to the airport, drop your luggage, and then SkyTrain back to the Vancouver downtown and just wander for the day.  There is much to see and do if you have never been to Vancouver before.

Edited by CDNPolar

10 hours ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I was thinking that we take our luggage to airport and put in lockers but then what?

You don't have to waste time going all the way to the airport and back. Cruise ship passengers can pay to store their luggage at the cruise ship terminal with Westcoast Sightseeing.

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/services/all-day-baggage-storage/

Edited by whee-sailing

4 hours ago, whee-sailing said:

You don't have to waste time going all the way to the airport and back. Cruise ship passengers can pay to store their luggage at the cruise ship terminal with Westcoast Sightseeing.

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/services/all-day-baggage-storage/

Thank you for the info and the link, that will be very handy,

14 hours ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Thank you GDNPolar for the info,  I am leaning towards the cruise terminal luggage drop and wandering or booking a day tour

Yeah - did not know that you could store at the cruise ship terminal but Vancouver is a large one so that makes sense.  

If you have never been to Van before there is so much to see and do in that city.  You won't lack for things to do.  A guided tour is always our choice.

I would look at a tour like this and then wander... Granville Island is a fav spot of mine and also Gastown... actually anywhere in downtown Van and surrounding area...

image.thumb.png.51f8ef40ef41c44a7d7cf7432f8d1f1c.png

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 1:15 PM, GOTTODOIT said:

Thank you GDNPolar for the info,  I am leaning towards the cruise terminal luggage drop and wandering or booking a day tour

The official pier storage is the worst possible option for someone with a very late flight - you must go collect your bags again by 4:30pm, yet they charge more per bag than any other storage option downtown! I do agree the best option is to stash bags downtown, as that is the most time-efficient option - provided you choose a place that stays open until at least 8pm!

Given I live close enough to the pier to have always just walked home with my bags, I cannot speak from personal experience about any specific options - but if you Google 'luggage storage Vancouver BC' you will find several web-based sites that have made deals with local hotels and shops to hold bags for prices between $7 and $10 per bag - some give exact locations in advance, others only approximate until you book (like AirBnB), but all offer hefty guarantees against losses. There's also the hotel right above the pier, the Pan Pacific, whose bell staff have been holding bags ad hoc for non-guests for years if you don't want to commit to a service in advance.

Spend the day doing lots of stuff locally, have a great dinner downtown, grab your bags, take SkyTrain out to the airport - flights that late, even if it's via the USA rather than direct to Oz, go from normal International gates rather than Transborder which removes one step from the process, and YVR is simply never as busy at that hour. I would personally be comfortable leaving downtown 2 hours preflight by SkyTrain - you'll have ~90mins to check bags, get through Security, and board which is plenty.

14 minutes ago, martincath said:

The official pier storage is the worst possible option for someone with a very late flight - you must go collect your bags again by 4:30pm, yet they charge more per bag than any other storage option downtown! I do agree the best option is to stash bags downtown, as that is the most time-efficient option - provided you choose a place that stays open until at least 8pm!

Given I live close enough to the pier to have always just walked home with my bags, I cannot speak from personal experience about any specific options - but if you Google 'luggage storage Vancouver BC' you will find several web-based sites that have made deals with local hotels and shops to hold bags for prices between $7 and $10 per bag - some give exact locations in advance, others only approximate until you book (like AirBnB), but all offer hefty guarantees against losses. There's also the hotel right above the pier, the Pan Pacific, whose bell staff have been holding bags ad hoc for non-guests for years if you don't want to commit to a service in advance.

Spend the day doing lots of stuff locally, have a great dinner downtown, grab your bags, take SkyTrain out to the airport - flights that late, even if it's via the USA rather than direct to Oz, go from normal International gates rather than Transborder which removes one step from the process, and YVR is simply never as busy at that hour. I would personally be comfortable leaving downtown 2 hours preflight by SkyTrain - you'll have ~90mins to check bags, get through Security, and board which is plenty.

Another option is HARBOUR AIR for flight-seeing.  We took one of their many tour options to Victoria with a visit to BUTCHART GARDENS included.  Ours had us landing at THE FLYING BEAVER on the return segment, which is adjacent to YVR.  (Although the current offer looks like you return to Vancouver Harbour.)

Also check for post-cruise tours with NCL.  Sometimes those are good options.

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Another option is HARBOUR AIR for flight-seeing. 

This is a good point Miss G - while a day trip by bus/ferry isn't possible on a cruise disembark day, even with a flight this late, if you can throw some cash at the logistics the time saved by flying makes it easily possible to see a good chunk of Victoria and surrounds. Especially trips that land right at Butchart's dock, avoiding the 30+min each way bus ride to and from town!

• Thanks 1