Canon R8 vs Nikon Z5

mskaufman

I am looking to move to a full frame camera.  I currently shoot with a Canon 60D.  The question is to trade my Canon stuff in and move to a Nikon z5 with a 24-200 lens or to keep my current lenses and buy a Canon R8 with the adapter.  Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

I am looking to move to a full frame camera.  I currently shoot with a Canon 60D.  The question is to trade my Canon stuff in and move to a Nikon z5 with a 24-200 lens or to keep my current lenses and buy a Canon R8 with the adapter.  Thoughts?

What sort of equipment you currently have for Canon?

Personally I wouldn't forget also Sony α7 series of cameras. And don't forget that there is EF lens adapters also for other mirrorless lens mounts than Canon RF, although of course in many cases the native lenses may still have some edge over the older designs for DSLRs.

8 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

I currently use a Canon EF 18-200 or a Tamron 18 - 400

Note that these are designed for APS-C sensors, thus if used on a camera with larger sensor the image does not cover the whole frame and you may want to use crop mode (and get images with fewer megapixels). And if I have understood correctly Canon does not even support EF-S lenses (like that 18-200) on EF cameras, so I'm unsure how it is with the EF to RF adapters.

Thus if you get a new camera with 35 mm sensor, you probably want to replace your existing APS-C lenses with ones that cover the full sensor area.

19 hours ago, mskaufman said:

I currently use a Canon EF 18-200 or a Tamron 18 - 400

The EF-S 18-200 was developed for the cropped sensors, so doesn't fit any of the DSLR full-frame cameras. However, with the EF adapter, it does fit the R-series, but the image is cropped.

Personally, I would stay with Canon, as you can still use the original lens, but purchase with a RF kit lens.

I use the R6 with an adapter and it is a significant upgrade from th 5D bodies.