Piraeus Port

Seininya

Hi,

Just wondering, whatsinport website mentioned there may be a 18 euro shuttle bus that the cruiseships put out from Piraeus port to Athens, but they don't announce it until the night before, has anyone had experience with this elusive shuttle? I'm going on NCL Dawn and was debating between this shuttle and the day pass offered by Athens transportation.

12 hours ago, Seininya said:

I'm going on NCL Dawn and was debating between this shuttle and the day pass offered by Athens transportation.

if you get few or no responses, suggesting that as it is NCL specific, you try cross posting on the NCL Forum where others who may have used it this year may be more likely to see it and reply.

• Like 1

There are several, excellent options, for getting from Pireaus to Athens.  If there is a convenient shuttle bus that charges 18 Euros, round trip, it is a decent option.  But if no bus, you can simply grab a taxi (25-30 Euros one-way for the entire taxi).  Another option is to either walk or use the regular bus to get around the harbor to the train station where the Green Line trains (several an hour) will take you into Athens.  There is also the local X80 bus (these have a stop right outside the port) that will get you into Athens.

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you! I was thinking of taking the local bus and metro if the ship won't have a shuttle. It is about 4 euros from what I read for a day pass. I do believe though that the local X80 bus stops running October 31. The disadvantages of going during off season.

Be careful with the price if you use one of the taxis parked outside your terminal. The price SHOULD be between 17 - 24 euros. The taxi drivers are very aggressive and encourage you to just get in and they will take you to your destination. We were quoted a price of 40 euros to go to the Athens Archaeological Museum by several taxi drivers. We ordered an Uber and the price was 20 euros, in morning rush hour traffic, to a destination a little further out than central Athens. 

2 hours ago, mar214 said:

The taxi drivers are very aggressive and encourage you to just get in and they will take you to your destination.

They also aren't above fibbing either.  Had one tell us while walking by them that the metro wasn't operating because it was on strike but of course it was running when we got there.  🙄

On 11/8/2023 at 1:51 PM, mar214 said:

Be careful with the price if you use one of the taxis parked outside your terminal. The price SHOULD be between 17 - 24 euros. The taxi drivers are very aggressive and encourage you to just get in and they will take you to your destination. We were quoted a price of 40 euros to go to the Athens Archaeological Museum by several taxi drivers. We ordered an Uber and the price was 20 euros, in morning rush hour traffic, to a destination a little further out than central Athens. 

I am curious to learn more about your uber experience, at one time uber was not allowed in Athens but they now allow regular taxis to use the app.  But I have read that normal private uber vehicles are not allowed.   I don't know any of this for sure, I haven't been there yet.     Was your uber pickup a normal taxi ?  I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they honored the uber fare from the app.    Also, your trip to the museum was from the airport?   thanks.

Our 3 Uber rides booked through the Uber app in Pireaus and Athens were taxis, not private cars. Uber pricing was accurate and honored each time. The taxis were clean and we enjoyed chatting with our drivers. (We also had the same Uber experiences in Rome, by the way.) We Uber'd from Pireaus to the museum. It was at least a 1/2 hour drive and the charge was 20 euros. After dealing with the taxi drivers at the port, we were so happy with our Uber experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mar214 said:

Our 3 Uber rides booked through the Uber app in Pireaus and Athens were taxis, not private cars. Uber pricing was accurate and honored each time. The taxis were clean and we enjoyed chatting with our drivers. (We also had the same Uber experiences in Rome, by the way.) We Uber'd from Pireaus to the museum. It was at least a 1/2 hour drive and the charge was 20 euros. After dealing with the taxi drivers at the port, we were so happy with our Uber experience. 

thanks, this is helpful.   Sounds like Uber is the way to go.

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2023 at 6:24 AM, mar214 said:

This may be a silly question, but do you need to do anything special to use Uber in Athens or Rome vs the United States?  Or is it all the same app? Thanks!