HAL announces Black Friday sale details

CruiseMark

3 hours ago, Naismith said:

Thanks, that is so interesting.  I had clicked from an email and had a "private sale" price.

BF2.JPG.3ceff2820497a5cfdede4437a0e5be26.JPG

1) shows Private Sales really do offer lower fares only to the people who receive them

2) you don't have to book from a private sale, just be sure as @Mary229 mentioned that your TA is using your credentials when pricing or they won't be able to give you accurate pricing.

• Like 1

Question on Advantage Fare

We are trying to book a cruise for 2025 that is in the Black Friday sale (although the price is unchanged from before the sale).  The HAL website shows two fares available:

• Cruise-only but includes crew-appreciation.  It says:  "50% reduced deposit (non-refundable)"
  • Have It All - Early Booking Bonus with lots of stuff included.  It says:  "...in one refundable cruise package".  We do not want HIA.

We called HAL to see if there is an Advantage Fare with a refundable deposit available, which we have heard about on CC but never used before ourselves.  They said there are just two fares available for this cruise:

• Cruise-only with crew-appreciation.  The deposit is fully refundable up until final payment and the price is the same as the website has for their non-refundable fare.  Basically, it sounds like we are getting a refundable fare at the same price as the non-refundable fare on the website.  Why doesn't the website say this?
  • HIA at a price and features the same as on the website

They said there is no Advantage Fare available, although it sounds like the cruise-only but just not calling it Advantage.  Does this all sound correct to those that have used an Advantage Fare before?  We definitely need to get the part about the refundable deposit in writing, since it contradicts the website.  We want to understand all our options before contacting our TA to book it.

5 minutes ago, Torquer said:

They said there is no Advantage Fare available, although it sounds like the cruise-only but just not calling it Advantage.  Does this all sound correct to those that have used an Advantage Fare before?

Not to me, it doesn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

Question on Advantage Fare

We are trying to book a cruise for 2025 that is in the Black Friday sale (although the price is unchanged from before the sale).  The HAL website shows two fares available:

• Cruise-only but includes crew-appreciation.  It says:  "50% reduced deposit (non-refundable)"
  • Have It All - Early Booking Bonus with lots of stuff included.  It says:  "...in one refundable cruise package".  We do not want HIA.

We called HAL to see if there is an Advantage Fare with a refundable deposit available, which we have heard about on CC but never used before ourselves.  They said there are just two fares available for this cruise:

• Cruise-only with crew-appreciation.  The deposit is fully refundable up until final payment and the price is the same as the website has for their non-refundable fare.  Basically, it sounds like we are getting a refundable fare at the same price as the non-refundable fare on the website.  Why doesn't the website say this?
  • HIA at a price and features the same as on the website

They said there is no Advantage Fare available, although it sounds like the cruise-only but just not calling it Advantage.  Does this all sound correct to those that have used an Advantage Fare before?  We definitely need to get the part about the refundable deposit in writing, since it contradicts the website.  We want to understand all our options before contacting our TA to book it.

Unfortunately if you got a Call Center Rep, they do not have a clue, plus they have only been told to sell what is on the Web Site Non-refundable and HIA. Your TA should be able to book Advantage Fare or an Experience Stateside Rep. The best time of the day to call and get someone stateside rather than Call Center is after 5:30 Pacific time. It is rare to get a Call Center Rep after that time. If it helps tell them you want promo code NH1 that is the code for Advantage Fares for all voyages.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/17/2023 at 7:41 PM, canadarocks said:

Holland America has the nicest people working for the worst website I have ever seen.

Well said.  I reached my PCC today, and booked a great deal.

The terminology they use is like a different language.  What my email from HAL called a "private fare" is considered a "Mariner discount."  And is indeed eligible for the free prepaid crew incentive of the Black Friday sale.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Naismith said:

Well said.  I reached my PCC today, and booked a great deal.

The terminology they use is like a different language.  What my email from HAL called a "private fare" is considered a "Mariner discount."  And is indeed eligible for the free prepaid crew incentive of the Black Friday sale.  

Yes, you get your Private Fare rates, free Prepaid Crew Appreciation, and Refundable Deposit. That's pretty sweet!

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Unfortunately if you got a Call Center Rep, they do not have a clue, plus they have only been told to sell what is on the Web Site Non-refundable and HIA. Your TA should be able to book Advantage Fare or an Experience Stateside Rep. The best time of the day to call and get someone stateside rather than Call Center is after 5:30 Pacific time. It is rare to get a Call Center Rep after that time. If it helps tell them you want promo code NH1 that is the code for Advantage Fares for all voyages.

Interesting to know! Normally you'd assume you'll get routed to a Call Center during after hours. Also, is Advantage Fare = Private Fare? Can you use NH1 when you book online on your own?

7 minutes ago, CH_ca said:

Interesting to know! Normally you'd assume you'll get routed to a Call Center during after hours. Also, is Advantage Fare = Private Fare? Can you use NH1 when you book online on your own?

Private Fares are totally different and attached to Mariner numbers, they are often non-refundable deposits but not always. Advantage Fares are available to everyone, no perks but refundable deposit that is often not a reduced deposit.

The Call Center is based on HAL's Peak Call Volume and Over Seas hours, they operate when calls coming in our the heaviest. Late hours at the end of the day call volume is low. A large percentage of HAL Reps that work state side are on Pacific time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Private Fares are totally different and attached to Mariner numbers, they are often non-refundable deposits but not always. Advantage Fares are available to everyone, no perks but refundable deposit that is often not a reduced deposit.

The Call Center is based on HAL's Peak Call Volume and Over Seas hours, they operate when calls coming in our the heaviest. Late hours at the end of the day call volume is low. A large percentage of HAL Reps that work state side are on Pacific time. 

I don't understand. If Advantage Fares are available to everyone, why would HAL keep it a "secret" unless you know about it? Or is that why some travel agents can offer you better price than what you get when you book directly with HAL? Are they using this Advantage Fares?

2 minutes ago, CH_ca said:

I don't understand. If Advantage Fares are available to everyone, why would HAL keep it a "secret" unless you know about it? Or is that why some travel agents can offer you better price than what you get when you book directly with HAL? Are they using this Advantage Fares?

Because HAL wants you to book the Have It ll, but they also want t o offer something that is less but with the Non-refundable it is a Gotcha, if you change your mind, they keep the deposit. They make a lot of money off canceled cruises that way. Their web site stopped offering the Advantage Fares shortly after covid. You need to be pro active to obtain the refundable no perks deposit. I would not say it has anything to do with Travel Agents, many TA's have no clue about it.

• Like 1