hub app for kindle

xyzcruiser

I currently have a kindle paperwhite that I use for books. I have a cellphone but don't like to carry it around. I know the hub app doesn't work for the paperwhite kindle, but if I buy a kindle fire tablet will I be able to use it for both books and the hub app?  Not sure about the compatibility but I'd rather carry around one device than have to keep track of and charge 2 devices on my cruise, if possible.  Thanks 

36 minutes ago, xyzcruiser said:

I currently have a kindle paperwhite that I use for books. I have a cellphone but don't like to carry it around. I know the hub app doesn't work for the paperwhite kindle, but if I buy a kindle fire tablet will I be able to use it for both books and the hub app?  Not sure about the compatibility but I'd rather carry around one device than have to keep track of and charge 2 devices on my cruise, if possible.  Thanks 

The brand new (at the time) Kindle Fire tablet I bought 2 years ago will not allow me to add the HAL app, I did not even try the Carnival app on my cruise last month - I just accessed their website on it. Of course, that does not have the same functions. I had to use my phone.

It is not supported on Fire tablets. I have never tried it but you should be able to get it to work on the Walmart onn tablet which is basically the same thing as a fire tablet, but runs regular Android rather than Amazon's version.

I will say that especially if you have set dining, it is possible to get by without using the hub app nowadays. Dining reservations is really the only thing that they really push you to use the hub app for still.

Edited by mz-s

15 minutes ago, xyzcruiser said:

but could I read kindle library books (or other free books) on this tablet? My goal was to not have 2 devices, and I really need to read books on a cruise. I do like using the app (always have mtd).

Yes, you just put the Kindle and/or Libby apps on the onn tablet.

Do you have an iPad?  If not, you could purchase an iPad mini (doesn't have to be a newer model) and download the app, plus still read your Kindle books on the iPad, with the Kindle app.  The only thing about the iPad is that reading outside is more difficult, but doable if you have shade.  😉 

I have to say that I have no trouble taking my cell phone, my iPad, and my Kindle on a cruise with me.  I normally keep my iPad in the room.  For sunning, I plop my cell phone and Kindle in my pool bag.  For excursions, they go in my crossbody.  Easy!!!

Edited by Iamthesea

Consider a cheap prepaid phone from Amazon or other sources. We carry $45 dollar Motorola Trac Phones around on the ship. I deleted most of the apps, went and downloaded the ship app, news and a couple of other apps. They have 32 gig of memory and work amazing.
 When we are in port the iPhones come out of the safe for the benefit of their amazing cameras. 

Worth a look...

On 11/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, xyzcruiser said:

but could I read kindle library books (or other free books) on this tablet? My goal was to not have 2 devices, and I really need to read books on a cruise. I do like using the app (always have mtd).

Yes the Kindle stuff works - no issue, cruise app does not

You will likely be disappointed trying to read in the sun on a fire tablet.  Might want to consider reading on a kindle app on your phone, but paper white is still far superior reading, especially in the sun.

• Like 2